Nope. There clearly are gays and atheists who want to join scouting. The BSA is keeping them out.

There are clearly fundamentalist Christians who want to join LGBT support organizations and atheist groups in order to evangelize them.

There are sometimes people who want to join yacht clubs just to get their hands on a valuable piece of waterfront property they can develop for condos.

Da proper answer to all of 'em is "no."

B

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beavah writes:

There are clearly fundamentalist Christians who want to join LGBT support organizations and atheist groups in order to evangelize them.

There are? I haven't heard of any. Are you just making up crap?

Da proper answer to all of 'em is "no."

Just like the proper answer to Jews who wanted to join a club that was Restricted, or blacks who wanted to join all-white country clubs.

http://tinyurl.com/qa76fw

"United Order of Tents"...hmmm...sounds like an organization I'd like to join, what with my interest in camping...maybe I'll go knock on their door and demand they admit me to membership, and if they don't I'll sue them. After all, old, fat, straight white guys have rights, too. They even have a "uniform". Anyone want to join me? We can start our own chapter!

(TIQ on)

How about an online virtual chapter - no stairs, the weathers always right and your packs never too heavy.

Yea! online Scouting could be next! And since we'd never meet or really know each other we can say we meet any criteria we want to. Even keyboarding skills could be opted out of by using voice input - Wow! Don't let Mazucca here of this talk about inclusiveness!

We would have to modify the Scout law a little to get around that pesky trustworthy bit since we could be lying about who we are but hey, more Scouts yea!

(TIQ off)

Scoutldr said: "United Order of Tents"...hmmm...sounds like an organization I'd like to join, what with my interest in camping.

Sounds like a good idea, I think we'd have to choose a different uniform colour, white is so impractical it would show up every stain and mark.

I normally don't feed trolls, but I will make an exception.

If all you got out of Boy Scouts was how to make huge flames out of a lighter than you didn't put much into it. You're not going to change anyone's opinion here so please move on to "enlighten" others eslewhere. You are probably sad and lonely and have self esteem issues and could have benefited from Scouting. Have a nice life and may God Bless You.

Just like the proper answer to Jews who wanted to join a club that was Restricted

Yep, where da restriction is relevant in terms of expressive association.

Yeh won't find any Jews in da Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and that's just fine. Yeh won't find any Christians in the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization either, eh?

Beavah

You know Merlyn comparing the DRP of the BSA to an anti semetic organization is way over the line,even for you. Personally I would love to see the BSA get rid of the whole DRP, especially if they want to see a growth in numbers and the use of public schools and facilities for events,but the reality is that is not going to happen at this time. All organizations have requirements to which you must conform if you want to be part of that organization, schools, corporations, religions, fraternal groups, etc., and you have to choose whether or not being a member of that group is worth making those concessions.

People like yourself love to make mountains out of this issue which is little more than a molehill, the BSA does not say you have to be a member of ANY particular religious tradition just to be reverent, which has a myriad of definitions. So get over it and get over yourself already, your arguments make you and your atheist friends look petty, bitter, and very unlikeable.

That doesn't prevent them from being labeled as bigoted organizations.

Which says a lot about da bigotry of the labelers, but not much else.

I don't think the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization is bigoted for not admitting Christians or atheists, though I'm sure someone with an anti-Jewish agenda would slap that label on them.

Beavah

Merlyn LeRoy said "Every organization that excluded Jews (and only Jews) or non-whites felt it was justified and pertinent, Beavah. That doesn't prevent them from being labeled as bigoted organizations."

Excluding someone for the colour of their skin, or if they have semetic features is bigoted. It is how they were born and there is nothing they can do about it. Same goes for people with disabilities, no one chooses to be disabled.

You choose to be an atheist, you could change if you really wanted to, but instead you demand that others have to change to accomadate you. If you really want a secular/atheist alternative why don't you start one yourself?

BadenP, the DRP says that, in order to be the best kinds of citizens, you have to believe in a god, so atheists can't be the best kinds of citizens.

Beavah, I consider you yourself to be bigoted because you continue to say that public schools ought to be able to discriminate against atheists by chartering BSA units that exclude atheists.

Chug, I certainly can't change my beliefs by force of will, and I don't think you can, either. If you disagree, try to be an atheist for a week (note that merely saying your an atheist isn't sufficient; you actually have to not believe any gods exist for a week). But in any case, you seem to think that discriminating against changable characteristics shouldn't be considered bigotry; I disagree. If a club excluded mixed-race couples, I would call that bigoted also, even though dating and marriage is an individual choice.

Beavah, I consider you yourself to be bigoted because you continue to say that public schools ought to be able to discriminate against atheists by chartering BSA units that exclude atheists.

Which again says a lot about the person doing the labeling, but not very much about the person being labeled.

I suppose I should now shout "Liar liar pants on fire!" like a three year old because of course I have never said that public schools "ought to be able to discriminate against atheists."

I have said that I am in favor of equal access and neutral treatment. Public schools should sponsor any co-curricular program that helps achieve their secular purpose for a segment of their students. They should welcome the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization if it helps their Jewish students establish a community and feel welcome and succeed at school, they should sponsor the Young Atheists if the organization helps in their mission of encouraging critical thinking skills, and they should sponsor the Boy Scouts if having a troop helps teach some of their students about citizenship, service, and character.

Beavah