"But you know, if BSA allowed local option for membership policies, none of this would be a problem. The parents would make their market-based decisions and some units would thrive and others would be selected against."

Not to hijack the thread, but I struggle over this one. Part of the large attraction of Scouting, to me, is its general universality. (I'm putting the gays and atheist issue aside for right now.) Local option could mean that in a mostly conservative Christian area, say, all the units end up excluding Jews. So the one Jewish boy who's really intensely interested in Scouting would have to go the Lone Scout route, and not get the benefit of associating with other boys.

And if every aspect of membership were local option - including race or ethnicity, say - I think the congressional charter would be yanked in a heartbeat.

The flipside, I suppose, is that units could choose to allow gays or atheists or anyone of any religious character whatsoever. To me, that's positive. It would just depend on the units.

- Bad Parent

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's the yin and the yang of the market, for sure. But it would allow aggressive COs to weed out those bad parents according to their customized weed-out criteria.

There's no reason BSA can't have a regular corporate charter. The whole Congressional thing probably ought to go away, anyway. But that's off the subject.

I'd like to sign up for one of those jackets! Any choice of colors? Purple? How about a rainbow theme? Something with fire and brimstone? :)

Edited part: Oooo, I'm really getting into this. I can see leather for the jackets and motorcycle gangs called 'Bad Parents', NICE! Also Bad Parent tattoos, ouch! I mean this is really good!(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I thought Charter Organizations could restrict members to their unit as long as they didnt go outside of the BSA membership requirements. A Church could restrict membership in their unit to church members and that would be alright, they could not accept avoded Gays as Leaders. A unit does not have to accept anyone who applies and meets the BSA criteria for Membership, they can have their own rules as well.

Leastwise that's how I understand it

Yeah, I guess once I think about it, the local option is already happening for practical purposes.

And yes, this CO sure takes a sit-back-and-let-it-ride approach, as I suspect most do. Maybe that aggressive CO is about as real as the bogeyman or something. I suspect there's one or two out there though - agressive COs, that is, the bogeyman has a name, Bernie Maddoff or something.;)

I want my red beret back! I LIKED it, and I gave mine to my son already.

I will take that jacket in a tie-dye pattern please, 42 long. I will even wear it when fulfilling my service time as a Deacon!

Perhaps us Bad Parents can just have a knot. I suggest a rainbow one. That way, us Bad Parents can self identify ourselves to be instantly recognized by other Bad Parents, those who wish to live the closet, can do so, but know that there are accepting Bad Parents amongst them.

Good Parents will shun those of us who wear the knot, but with or without it, they already do.

Perhaps us Bad Parents can just have a knot. I suggest a rainbow one.

Nah, it's got to have a pitchfork for Lucifer Packsaddle. Wait 'til Mrs. Beavah learns she's been bakin' cookies for the devil!

"The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious, and devout souls are everywhere of one rreligion; and when death has taken off the mask they will know one another, though the diverse liveries they wear here make them strangers."

= William Penn = The Fruits of Solitude =

So when is the Forum going to give us a Chaplaincy and Faith Forum? Seems to me that the Politics is/are a seperate thing from the G word items...

There have been many times I have been asked, at public displays and private confabs, "do you have to be Christian to be a Scout?" or it's converse, "how can you be a Scout if your not Christian?" I can only point at the mono-faith Troops I met at the 05 Jamboree (NY Jewish) and the Muslim units that I now Commish for, and then count the boys in my home Troop (Hindu, Methodist, Catholic, Quaker, Baptist that I know of. Unfortunately, the Hindu family is inactive presently).

I have a problem with a faith that seeks to control it's members with fear, whether that is fear of damnation or fear of dissassociation or fear of ...what? But it is not for me to judge. I can only live my example for others to see.

My God is one of love and forgiveness of my faults and acceptance of me and mine despite all the reasons I should not be accepted.

WWJD? is not a new radio station.

Happy Purim and ( in advance) St. Pat's Day, by the way, begorra.

Ooooooh, THAT's a great idea. BTW, there are a few students who are fairly certain of my identity, LOL. But Old Nick has a taste for good cookies just like all the lesser demons and men in general. Preferably raisins, shriveled in the baking heat...muhahahahahaha!

But solid black with a red pitchfork would be nice. I guess that's technically not a knot. Let's see, how to make a pitchfork look like a knot....hmmmm.

SSScout writes:

There have been many times I have been asked, at public displays and private confabs, "do you have to be Christian to be a Scout?"...

That's part of the problem with discrimination; people often remember the discrimination, but not the details. Of course, with the BSA's "god" requirement, it's easy to assume it also means no polytheists like Hindus.

I've also seen people in this forum recommend the American Heritage Girls without noting that they are Christian-only.

Ok, I'm all over this knot thing now.

The rainbow knot is just too gay. We all know, Bad Parents can't be gay, by definition.

How about this, black background, red knot with one end of the rope terminating in a pitchfork, the other end terminating in a bifurcated tail.