Say goodbye to the balance of Alan Colmes

GWD, I don't know if you have ever partaken of Local Sports Radio Shows. As I have travled around the country, I have listend to several Sports Radio Stations. Most do not have live independent programming, most are national broadcasts, but everyonce in awhile you get a live guy talking to a specific market. And, while each guy tries to be different, they all sound the same. Unless the home team is winning every game by a landslide, some idiot in the front office, either Owner, General manager or Coach needs to be replaced. If every star is not producing stellar "Hall of Fame" stats every game, then that player can be accused of "dogging it". In case the team is actually doing well, they will focus on how can they expect to keep up this level of play and shouldnt they be trading for this one, or signing that one, there always has to be controversy real or imagined. The same with policical radio. Unless the powers that be are doing exactly as thr hosts thinks they should, well then, obviously the politician has taken a blow to the head and can't be trusted.

Always thought Rush Limbaugh should have donated big time to the Clinton Library in Little Rock. If not for the Clinton presidency Rush would still be in Cape Girardeau.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gwd- I didn't say I was a journalist...just that I took a class once. And I don't think of myself as partisan...just objective. Believe it or not, I didn't vote a straight ticket in November. I voted for those who made the most sense to me, my family, my job, and how I think the world should be. Obama did not get my vote. Biden is a buffoon. Bush would not have gotten my vote again, either. Palin was a joke, but I was willing to compromise.

TheScout,

I beg to differ in regard to Hannity specifically. I get to listen to about 30 minutes of his radio program's final hour every day on the way home. He promises at the top of the hour to give you the most comprehensive, hard hitting NEWS and analysis than anyone else. Yes, he says analysis, but he also says he is giving you the news. To many of his fans, he IS the source that informs their opinion. I had been busy this week and had not had the opportunity to see Hannity's new solo TV show until last night. Guess how it started? A big flashing BREAKING NEWS ALERT with Sean making snide remarks (commentary, not news reporting) about Caroline Kennedy stepping away from seeking Hillary's Congressional seat. It was not breaking news as it had been in the news cycle much earlier in the day. Half way thru the show he has his "All American Panel" there to discuss Kennedy again. Onece again, flashing breaking news alert. Another segment was Sean making fun of the new Obama press secretary along with a few other items. He finished that segment with, "and that's the news". Hannity falls back on the analysis claim when confronted, but he is less tha bashful about claiming to present the news. Trust me, as a member of his forums, I can assure you that he has a faithful following that believe he is giving them objective news reporting.

It was nice to hear President Obama encourage us all to do our part for our community. I agree 100%. And I've been doing my best to follow through on my oath to "help other people at all times" since I first repeated that oath 39 years ago.

I have always found that the best leaders lead by example. We did see Mr. Obama doing some painting last week. Wonderful. Could someone please post a list of his efforts prior to running for office? Or can someone please remind us what percentage of his income has gone to charity? Also how much Mr. Biden has contributed?

I have an uncomfortable feeling that this is perhaps a case of "do as I say, not as I do". While I have little respect for President Carter as a Statesmen, I have deep respect for his personal efforts to help others as a reflection of his faith in God. Habitat for Humanity is perhaps one of the best charities ever. Mr. Carter is greatly responsible for its popularity. Someday everyone should read "Theology of the Hammer".

But I'm afraid that Mr. Obama does not have the same track record. Perhaps after he has rolled up his sleeves a few more times (and who paints in a white dress shirt?), and after he has written a few more checks, then I'll feel he is worthy to tell us how we should all serve our community.(This message has been edited by Narraticong)

Cutting a check to a charity is not the only way to accomplish public service. Its often the way those just too busy or important to get their hands dirty.

Some people think public service is just that, serving the public. Like being a Senator, or community organizer. I'm one of them.

SR540Beaver,

Hannity is ever bit as objective as, say, Stephanopoulos over at ABC. Or do you feel he is an objective news reporter?

Ali Wentworth (wife of ABC News' George Stephanopoulos) on "Oprah":

We watched everything and George was still doing all the anchoring for ABC and as soon Beyonce said "At Last..." George called me at home and he went, "Honey?" and I said "I know!" and we both started crying.

Brent,

You see, this is where so many folks get confused about news and reporting. Stephanopoulos is not a reporter of news. Never has been. When his wife referred to anchoring, it was ancoring the programming of the inaugural balls and commenting on them, not doing Katie Couric type anchoring of the actual news. George comments on the news, he doesn't report it. Hannity flashes breaking news on the screen when he is actually commenting on the news. I'm 51 and when I see "breaking news", that usually means something like a terrible accident or tragedy has happened. He abuses the term news to his own ends.

I challenge you to do this. Record Stephanopoulos' show Sunday morning. Record Hannity's tonight. Watch one after the other and tell me if you think they are comparable in tone and content. Be honest and objective about it. I'm betting you can't help but notice the difference because it is pretty stark.

Now, if you had said Olberman on MSNBC, you'd be in the ball park.(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

Clever method of the righties is when confronted with a claim that someone like Hannity is way off the scale on the right, they present a rather middle of the road example of Stephanopolis as an example of the extreme left. That gives the impression that somewhere in between them is the middle. Obviously skewed to the right a bit. Now if they had chosen someone way left, say Hugo Chavez, then they might be right, or center. I'm not fooled.