Scouter Using Position in CA Voter Guide

In the next election, California will vote on Proposition 8 (marriage is only for a man and a woman).

In reviewing my voter guide (here):

http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/argu-rebut/argu-rebutt8.htm

I find at the bottom on the pro-8 side:

ROBERT BOLINGBROKE, Council Commissioner

San Diego-Imperial Council, Boy Scouts of America

Now - I thought that we were not supposed to politic' in uniform? Here we have a Council Commissioner signing onto a ballot measure. I realize that since the BSA is anti-Gay in its membership policies, some might find that this is appropriate. I don't (and I am not in his Council, so this is nothing personal).

Sorry - I just needed to vent.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. There is nothing wrong with a candidate for public office listing his/her Scouting activities along with other community activities, on a resume to be used in an election campaign. As I have said, I did it myself when I ran for office. (Some here will be relieved to hear that I no longer hold office, as my electoral record is 1-1.) Everybody (especially those running for local office) lists that they are a soccer coach, or a PTO president, or a Scout leader, there's no difference. The candidate is not claiming the support of Scouting for his/her candidacy, but rather is saying how they have been active in the community.

However, it seems kind of strange to me that someone who is not running for office, like this commissioner, would identify their Scouting position in connection with their position on a public issue. What relevance does it have to the issue that this person is a commissioner? I don't see the justification for mentioning it.

I guess it makes as much sense as someone saying, "Bill Smith, MD" or "Sheena Easton, pop singer" or "Waldo Smith, Major US Army (retired)".

Unless it is an issue about medicine or pop music or military protocol, it really doesn't matter but people do it because it impresses the masses.

Of course, whatever Sheena Easton supports, I'm in favor of it especially if it gets me a date with her.

Hmmmm - very, very interesting...

Glad this was pointed out Horizon.

Since I AM part of this council, I think I might have to place a call to my Council Executive and ask exactly what IS or IS NOT allowed as far as politicing in uniform.

I am strongly in favor of Prop 8 and intend to vote yes on it.

However, while I have no problem with an executive from our council being a prinicple author on the "Rebuttal to argument against Prop 8", I certainly take issue with him using his title within BSA as his SOLE personal reference in the listing of the authors !!!

Its not like the guy states: Robert Bolingbroke, Attorney, businessman, parent and scouter....

He lists just his name and the fact that he is a Council Commissioner in the SDIC, BSA.

Hope he had an OK from national before doing this.

I find it odd. Because even though I agree with this guy - it pisses me off that he chose to use his position within BSA in this manner.

Ironically, if he had authorred a piece for the opposing viewpoint, he could well expect to be asked to leave scouting on the grounds he is committed to a pro-homosexual / pro-gay stance which is incompatable with BSA's views.

Glad to see my funds to Friends of Scouting are being well spent by paying for this guy's salary :(

Yeah LisaBob -

I hope he's not paid. In following the link shortridge supplied, this guy is the former COO of Clorox Bleach and has ponied up 25K of his own $$ into the cause to pass Prop 8.

Heck - I can squak to the council if I want, but I doubt they are going to tell ANYONE that lives in Rancho Santa Fe what to do (richest suburb in S.D. county - think Golfer Phil Mickleson and Jenny Craig of diet fame - Oh yeah - and disgraced GOP 'top gun' Randy "Duke" Cunninham's old neighborhood before putting on the fed prison jumpsuit).

Anyways - BSA isn't going to tell a guy like this what he CAN or CANNOT attach his name and his BSA position to. Its just a shame.

BSA needs to have a "don't ask don't tell" policy with regards to these types of things. While I agree with the Prop and will vote YES on it - BSA is not the place or the venue to be speaking in favor or against such a thing in a public forum. We're trying to raise kids in accordance with the Scout Law. Courteous, kind, friendly must just apply to those that are not gay.

What ever happened to the idea of disagreeing with the sin, but loving the sinner?

Funny how this guy didn't list his former employer in his bio line for the authors of the rebuttal. Perhaps a little too dicey a subject matter for Clorox Corp to want to be tied to?

But he has no problem bringing the political flaming poo-ball to bear on the BSA with his position.

While I support his right to author the statement, his using his "volunteer" position within BSA does not HELP the organization. It just further incites those factions that wish to destroy the BSA.

Thank you Mr. Bolingbroke for painting a bulls-eye on BSA's back for the gay community. (not that there wasn't one there already, but why continue to point it out to them?)(This message has been edited by DeanRx)

DeanRX says, "Ironically, if he had authorred a piece for the opposing viewpoint, he could well expect to be asked to leave scouting on the grounds he is committed to a pro-homosexual / pro-gay stance which is incompatable with BSA's views. "

I don't believe that is true. My understanding is that one's political beliefs are irrelevent to membership in BSA. Avowed homosexuals may be denied membership, but not those who support them.

It is very possible and highly likely that the Bolingbroke was reprimanded by the council leadership after this was published. It is improper for a volunteer to use the name of scouting to support politial issues or a specific party or candidate.

We will likley never know because it would be a confidential matter and wopuld probably not be publicized.

It is improper for a volunteer to use the name of scouting to support politial issues or a specific party or candidate.

Does anyone know if this is fact or just another interpretation?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10