So Governor Elliott Spitzer of New York was a john.

If you look at CNN, MSNBC or Fox, it's obviously a Federal Case approaching Ted Bundy or Virginia Tech in significance. It's equally obvious their senior news editors were just hired from the National Enquirer and the Weekly World News.

I don't condone getting satisfied outside the marital bed, but this is pure and simply the spin cycle in high gear.

... And the newsies wonder why we don't trust them anymore.

Can the network news divisions dial this back for what it is? There are worse things going on in this world, every bloody minute. Giving Spitzer the treatment they do really does cheapen the horrors of Virginia Tech, Columbine, the Murrah Building or Ted Bundy.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

I think one reason that Spitzer is getting this treatment is that for several years he self righteously pursued a crusade on trumped up charges against prominent New Yorkers. Now if he were pusuing his trysts in the oval office in the White House, that would be cause for high praise from the media.

Not only did Mr. Spitzer zealously pursue persons in just his shoes but prosecuted them in court. The hard charging full speed ahead prosecutions of similar cases is what made his reputation that got him elected. It is actually good to see some mud finally stick to a highly placed hypocrite. A federal case is exactly what it is they have him on tape (wiretap) negotiating with his rented honey.

A quick question:

To which major political party does Spitzer belong?

If you rely on the mainstream network and print media, the chances are that they won't tell you. Disclosure of party affiliation depends on which party the offender is affiliated with.

eisley I think almost anyone in NY who pays any attention at all to politics can identify Mr Spitzer's party. He has hardly made a secret of his party, or of his apparent ambitions, in the past. Now outside of NY, he is less well-known. But also outside of NY few people care what party he is from. The media dwells on these types of stories for the "sex sells, scandal sells, and sex-scandals sell through the roof" aspect, not for the sober political analysis aspect.

Lisabob,

You are certainly correct that citizens of the state of New York most likely know that Spitzer is a Democrat. Move beyond New Jersey and it is less likely that people know his party affiliation.

My point is that the main stream media will always immediately and loudly identify the party affiliation of Republicans caught in scandals, but downplay or not even report at all the party affiliation of Democrats caught in these kinds of situations.

My ears perked up at the mention of $5500/hour. Now what on Earth could demand that rate!

Here in Detroit, our mayor has done an effective job in keeping the Gov. of New York out of the headlines and I don't think it has anything to do with party affilitation.

The last "republican" was William F. Buckley. Not sure what to call the current crop of "conservatives" who only rant about immigration and the biased media.

Perhaps prostitution should be legalized as in Nevada, but in the meantime Spitzer broke the law. Prostitution is sometimes called a "victimless" crime, but that is not really correct. The victims are the women involved. One has cases of even underage girls being forced into prostitution. Spitzer knew the law and he intentionally broke the law. This is not consensual sex between legal adults, but commercial sex and that is illegal.

I have never heard anyone say that the specific acts in which Bill Clinton engaged with Monica were illegal. The illegal acts of Bill Clinton were lying about it under oath. He pleaded guilty to those illegal acts and stands convicted of felony.

Spitzer's acts are clear violations of the law. If the citizens of New York think that it is OK to have an accused felon (assuming that indictments are coming), then that is their business, but I would not want such a person serving in a position of trust.

Spitzer's wife and family do deserve much better, but there is one person, and only one person, responsible for the pain he has caused them.(This message has been edited by eisely)

Why is this such a news story? Because of the hypocrisy of the guy. It is news and interesting to read "Many in the financial industry had long complained that the man known as "Mr. Clean" and the "Sheriff of Wall Street" was abusive and insulting, that he went after them with holier-than-thou zeal, and that he was just trying to make headlines and advance his political career."

While I agree with you John that this is not "horrors" type of news, it is non-the-less news worthy and actually gives a little comic relief for a time.

Herms,

Newsworthy, yes. 3 minutes at the end of Countdown. "Spitzer, you ignorant XXXX!" to parlay an SNL joke of 30+ years ago. Of course, he gets excoriated on the late night comedy shows, as well he should.

The next time it's newsworthy is if he comes to a plea or a trial.

In the meantime, the news channels, to include NPR, show that their assignment editors graduated from the Tattler, the National Enquirer, and the Weekly World News.

Does that make sense?

Sadly, yes it does make sense.

We've quit demanding NEWS- the 5 W's come to mind(The basics of any news story, Who What When Where and Why) - and we are getting Infotainment(yes it is now a word, spell checker didn't even blink) instead.

And what's more entertaining than scandal:( .

Try and find any popular news outlet that actually does the 5 W's.

BBC and NPR try, but you are still required to unspin them. But spin has been around for a long long time.