Who will help with my taxes?

My biggest fear about this election is that if a Democrat wins, my taxes will be raised and I will have to go back to work full time. Since I quit my teaching job during the current presidency, my family hasn't had to try to make it on one salary during a Democrat's reign.

I'm not just trying to start a big controversial topic, but I truly am very SCARED! I missed at least 10 days of work each school year when I was a working Mom, due to the stress, and should have stayed home more. Lots of women can be workers AND mothers, but I can not do it. My Psychiatrist wanted me to go on disability when I quit my job, but I wouldn't do it, since I have a husband who can support our family. I wish others who take from the government would only do so if they truly need it. I have a friend who is a liberal Democrat on disability, and I know that she DOES need it, so I don't begrudge her for one moment. As a matter of fact, my family helps her, when we can, monetarily.

Anyway, for those of you who will be voting for a Democrat, are you willing to put your money where your vote is? I know my family isn't the only middle class family who will suffer if our taxes are raised. Are you willing to help us out? It doesn't make sense for the govt. to take more money from us, only to turn around and offer money back to us when my husband's paycheck is no longer sufficient for our family.

My younger son used to think we were going to be rich when my parents die. He didn't know yet about the inheritance tax. He was astounded that we would have to pay a huge tax on money that had already been taxed.

One thing that bothers me about current Democrats is that they tend to give hand-outs which make them look and feel good about themselves. They should instead be giving a hand UP, as Jesus says in the Bible. Give a man a fish and he will eat for one day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read through a few of the past topics and you'll find that many of them have nothing to do with scouting. One current topic that has nothing to do with scouting is the one about whether Mormons are Christians. The whole idea for having a seperate site for Issues and Politics is so people who don't want to read these topics can skip it, and stick with the topics that are solely scout related.

How about I will help you with your taxes when you give back fathers and mothers to all of the kids left with out because of your current president.

Somehow I think loosing a son, daughter, father or mother trumps you having to go back to work or paying a bit more in taxes.

Good grief get some perspective!

funscout you make good points.

It seems that your question is a little off though in my humble opinion. Though tax raises usually hit the middle class as well, the Democrats try to limit on the burden on their voters.

They usually focus their message on raising taxes on the wealthy. Its a class warfare argument. They never raise them on the poor (many of which don't even pay taxes).

That is what irks me the most. Not the taxes themselves (which I agree are fundamentally bad), but the way some, especially Democrats try to play social experiments and pick and choose who to raise taxes on and who not to.

Flat tax all the way.

Maybe funscout or one of the other republicans can tell me where these "Teach a man to fish" programs are, or were under GW1, or under Reagan. I'll admit that the Democratic solution tends to be "Throw money at it" but tell someone with a drug problem to "Just say No" is like telling a manic depressive to "Just cheer up!" Judging the number of unemployed by how many people are currently receiving unemployment benefits is ridiculous. Unemployment is down because people have exhausted their benefits? You worry about having to go back to being a two paycheck family, what about those that can't get to the level of a one paycheck family? There may be some valid differences between political parties and their approach to serving the country but if your main concern is personal inconvenience then you got little to worry about IMO.

LH

"Just Say No" wasn't a program to help addicts, it was supposed to keep kids from trying drugs in the first place.

Basing the unemployement numbers on who is collecting checks isn't a Republican invention. I was in college during the Carter era and in Econ 1 it was explained that once you ran out of benefits, you were no longer considered unemployed.

It would also be nice if the people that count such things would come up with a way to count the underemployed such as a factory worker who goes from making $60,000 a year to making $12,000 a year at Wal-Mart.

The government is always the solution. There are many private "Teach a man to fish" programs out there but they go wanting for participants. There is a local program to train plumbers for free in the evenings. The guy that runs it is always on talk shows complaining about how few people will enroll. Heck, if I wasn't so beat up, I'd go for it.

Gawd help me for sayin' it.

Give me da tax-and-spend Democrats any day over da current borrow-and-spend pork barrel "set-aside" Republicans.

Funscout, your Republicans may have kept taxes down, but they've darn near bankrupted the country. For those of us livin' near Canada, our purchasing power across the border has declined by more than 50% in recent years - and that's goin' to hit you, too, soon enough, given how much oil and manufactured goods we import, eh?

Savin' 10% on taxes and losin' 50% on purchasing power, now that's modern neo-con Republican thinkin'. Just wait until the inheritance tax goes away and your kids find out that da Republicans have left them with Trillions on Trillions of dollars of debt. :( Besides, don't yeh think your kids should earn their own way in da world?

At very least, a change in administration might at least get us folks who are competent in their fields. I'd rather have someone competent who I disagreed with than a bunch of nincompoops who agreed with me on an issue.

Yah, don't be scared, funscout. Manipulatin' fear has been the only thing left in da Republican campaign strategy in the last 6 years. You're bein' used.

Be concerned, but be hopeful, and be strong, eh? Don't be afraid when your fellow citizens toss da bums out.

Beavah

(who's thinkin' of votin' Blue for the first time in his life)

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

All of you are right. I shouldn't be feeling sorry for myself, and actually, after I thought this through, I realized how easily my problem would be solved. I guess I just had one of my panic attacks!

If taxes are raised and I do have to go to work full time, while I'm still a mother of 2 adorable yet very challenging boys, then history will repeat itself, and I'll find myself back at the psychiatrist's office. This time, when he recommends disability, I'll have no choice but to take it. So, after the govt. raises taxes and takes more money from my family, they will then turn around and give money back. It's rather ironic, but at least I see that my family will be okay. One sad note is that my family will then have less money to help others out, as we currently do. Also, as taxes are raised, and families can no longer support themselves, then the govt. will be spending MORE money to help people. Then taxes will have to be raised more. Its' a vicious cycle!

I agree that the Republicans haven't figured out the Hand UP program, either. Both sides need to work on that. At the local level, I see fellow conservative Christians giving a hand UP all the time, so I forget that it isn't happening with conservatives at the national level. One of my friends GAVE a car to a family so the parents could get a job and go to work. Instead of just giving them hand-outs of food, they were given transportation so they could get a job and buy their own food! Others have given or loaned money to people so they could go to school to learn a trade and get a job so they can then support themselves. Babysitting services have been offered at little or no cost so a single mom could work and then be able to provide for her own family. I guess our national leaders have a LOT to learn from the local folks.

I do know that my problems do not compare to those who have lost loved ones to war or disease or accidents. I would gladly give up my material goods if it would bring my little brother back from his death to cancer at age 12.

It would also be nice if the people that count such things would come up with a way to count the underemployed such as a factory worker who goes from making $60,000 a year to making $12,000 a year at Wal-Mart.

Could it be the $60,000 a year factory worker was over paid? Could it be the $12,000 a year Wal*Mart stock boy is paid at a rate commensurate with his job?

I worked in a steel mill in the summer during high school & college. Made a ton of money. Worked hard, too. But I was way over paid for what I did.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

I remember the 90s and a few presidential compaigns that promisd to only raise taxes on the rich. Well, guess what, I found out I was considered rich in the eyes of the winner. The fact I worked my way through college, worked hard and sacrificed things was of no interest. Only I had "too much" and I had to part with more of my money.

So the republicans claim unemployment is down, huh? Heres my twisted theory. We are in a war that is being fought by hundreds of thousands of National Guard Soldiers, who, usually have a full-time, regular job.(And a BIG thanks to all you Guardsmen/women!) So someone needs to fill their job while they're off serving. (Temporarily, of course). So when the Dems win the White house, bring back our Soldiers, ending temporary employment for the masses will raise the unemployment rates, and the Republicans can say "We told you so!" At least, that's what runs through this registered Independants head.