Scouts reference in Ann Coulter Commentary

Isn't it unfair that if a republican is involved in a sex scandal, the media and democrats will scrutinize every aspect of it and crucify the republican. But, when a democrat is involoved in a sex scandal, the media and democrats tell us that the affair is a private matter between consenting adults.

Hmmm.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.

Clinton did it with a 22 year old.

Foley did it with a 16 year old (probably many more).

Think about a Scoutmaster (54 year old) sending sexually suggestive messages to a Life scout (16 year old). That is the reality of this situation.

How many of you would be comfortable if the media covered that case as one between two consenting adults?

Gern,

I had heard that the page was 18 or 19. Either way, 19 or 16, it's wrong and the congressman should go as he has resigned.

I didn't mention Clinton by name, there was also Gary Hart and the Chandra Levy case, but I don't remember his name, not really important here.

To me, there seems to be a double standard, one for democrats, one for republicans.

Just do the right thing, that should be a good standard.

Double standard ha! The media pounces on anything that will help sell a paper or have folks tune in. This is by no means the first republican homosexual sex scandle. But its shocking the system of many who have never seen it covered like this.

Sure, the media will pounce, but they will crucify the republican and barely touch the democrat.

I understand the "timing" of the information release is womehwat suspect also. That is, someone knew about this a few years ago and did nothing until now, a month before the election. Why would the reporter wait? To screw up the election.

Gonzo,

the page program is for high school kids (mostly Juniors). I believe minimum age is 15. Very, very doubtful that a 18 - 19 year old was involved. This involved a predator and a child. Much much different than Condit, Hart or Clinton.

ALso, if I remember correctly, I believe we had wall to wall coverage in 1998 of the Lewinski scandal. In fact, that is one of the criticisms of Clinton that he was distracted by all the coverage.

Gary Hart was caught with Donna Rice, a 29-year old model, in an extramarital affair. During his political campaign. All over the newspapers and television. Career ended.

I'd like to see what would happen if THIS standard was applied evenly across Washington, DC. Ross Perot would finally get his desired outcome, the barn would be swept out.

But is the Hart scandal comparable? Not to me, the 'underage' part makes a big difference. Let the heads roll.

You have a pretty short memory if you don't think the media crucified Gary Condit. He even successfully sued (actually settled with) some writers for having libelled him.

So I don't think the press is partisan when it comes to a juicy sex scandal. However, blatant hypocrasy makes the story juicier--like having the cochair of the exploited children committee turning out to be a predator.

While not the case for all sex scandals it seems the Democrats stick around and take the punishment, (Clinton was impeached), while the Republicans tend to resign, retire or other wise "cut and run".

The Jack Abramoff case is another story. Here is a case were both parties have their hands in the cookie jar. There may be up to six congressmen going to jail

BTW...to set the record straight here is the link on the requirements to become a page. My reading is that its pretty limited to Juniors in High School.

http://www.house.gov/petri/pageprog.htm

"CONGRESSIONAL PAGE PROGRAM

Currently sixty-six young men and women are appointed by their Member of Congress to serve as Pages in the U.S. House of Representatives. Forty-four slots are reserved for Republican Pages.

To be eligible for the summer program, applicants must be 16 years of age at the time of their appointment, have a B average or better, and be willing to serve as a page for approximately one month during the summer before or after their junior year of high school.

No matter what the age, it's wrong for a congressman to do what he did. He should go and perhaps be tried for what he did.

We don't need predators in congress.

I'm sure one of our posters will find a reference to the number of congressional members who already have criminal records.

Gonzo1: "I understand the "timing" of the information release is womehwat suspect also. That is, someone knew about this a few years ago and did nothing until now, a month before the election. Why would the reporter wait? To screw up the election."

Have you also noted that GOP leaders are asking for a probe of Sandy Berger taking papers from the archive. Note that he pleaded guilty to doing it last year and was fined. Why would GOP leaders be asking for a probe and why would the news be reporting it this close to an election? To screw it up? To delect from attention to Foley?

It works both ways and one side accusing the other of dirty tricks is like the pot calling the kettle black.

SR540Beaver,

You are right about timing, Sandy Berger took classified documents from the National Archives long after he was out of his Clinton Administration position.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. In appropriate timing is bad for both sides, shame on all who engage in it.

I have heard (sorry, not read) some news about democrat financier George Soros having suppressed the Foley news until now. Shame on him and shame on any republican for doing the same.

Please don't assume that I'm totin' someones water bucket. Treat them all the same, Like Sen Harry Reid, (D) Nev. for making $1.1 million in a recent land deal.

Apparently Hastert points to Soros because Soros is funding the Democratic National Committee and democrat campaigns.

Speaker Hastert has announced publicly that anyone on his staff who withheld info from him will be fired. So, I guess the 3 fingers pointing back at himself are taking responsibilty for himself and his staff, eh?