What about gay parents?

stl,

For awhile I was of the mind that it was genetic. I figured that by now somebody would have isolated the culprit and would have switched it off permanently but I was proven wrong by a few alert readers. They convinced me fully that it was a choice that people made because of a weak will and probably an involuntary colon spasm. I now accept the theology that a person will one day, out of the clear blue decide to blow a bagpipe or squeeze their accordion to the shear horror and disgust of any unsuspecting by-stander. Since I have never enjoyed a tuba solo either, I am hoping that it is contained to just a few of the world's (most miserable) instruments but we can never be sure.

I hope I have not stepped on anyone's musical toes in the past few entries. If I did it was only out of ignorance and probably stupidity, a trait that my wife has confirmed on many occasions but was never my conscious choice either. But it was also a feeble but humble attempt at adding a little insight to a highly interesting and rewarding discussion that lead me down this path. I feel that somehow I have been enlightened. I am hoping that others feel the same. I don't think it was gas.

FB

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True confession: I play the piano...with just a touch of talent. As to the Jericho question, my empirical study of a former accordion-playing apartment neighbor indicates that the walls would have come tumbling down but it would have required repetition of 'Lady of Spain' about 50 times.

Bagpipes: the sound of mass slaughter of geese. Sorry.

Tuba playing-

Forgive me but I must relate this TRUE story-30 years ago I was teaching in a small midwestern town and the band teacher came screaming into the office. It seems that someone had had the adacity to deficate into one of his tubas. We never found out who. At the band director's retirement dinner this subject was the topic of his roasters. Seems it could not be determined wheather the act was 1.) an act of defiance 2.) a comment on his teaching/directing 3.)the deficators opinion of tubas/tuba music or 4.) a cry to pronouce the oompa sound correctly as poop-ah.

I think I may have, after all these years found the perp! Too bad the said band director died 15 years ago without ever finding out the TRUTH.

Gay parents, accordianists, bag pipers, tuba players? Just to keep the subject matter amoving target ...

Today I heard that two Canadian men, both avowed straight, heterosexuals, decided to marry each other to take advantage of the tax benefits available to married couples.

Ed, you asked TJ when he discovered he was gay. I know for myself I can't pinpoint when I discovered I was heterosexual. Can you?

In the first grade it was a moment with the little red-haired girl that lived down on the street corner and later that same year it was my friend's big sister who was to graduate and move away. Then it was my third grade teacher. She got married and left me. It broke my heart but she wrote me several letters which gave me hope and eased the pain. For one evening, it was Karla of the fourth grade. In the sixth grade, I went to a party with one girl, slow danced with another beauty and spent most of the evening with a third who thrilled me with a kiss. On the return trip home with the first one, as I sat in reverie, she informed me about a truth concerning women that was quite disturbing. In the face of unrequited love, rejection, distance, and confusion, I began to find my way in a world of chaos and joy.

FB