I was amused by their efforts to match wits with the conservative commentators. Apparently, most others were not. In the long run, this might prove to be a blessing for liberals. After all, if they were still on the air, more people would realize the foolishness of their reasoning (or lack thereof).

I have never heard it, but apparently it is not "gone." I found their web site, http://www.airamericaradio.com and they have previews of shows for today, May 27. I did not know where it was on in the New York or Philadelphia areas, but now I do (on 1190 AM in New York), so I will have to check it out. There is a press release from April 30 with new stations they are adding, and I know that the news stories (which I only heard on a conservative talk radio station, by the way) about how they "couldn't pay their bills" were longer ago than that.

As for them paying the stations to air their shows, that is how a number of syndicated radio talk shows have started out, on both "sides of the aisle." I have heard Sean Hannity talk about it, and this was before Air America even existed. He makes the point that it is something he did not do, even though it meant that his show grew in listnership slower than it might have at the beginning.

Conservative and liberal slanted programing is just more preaching to the choir that polarizes our society and leads to yet further reduction of civility amongst us as can be easily witnessed on this forum by those who profess to live by the Scout Oath and Law.

That said, I think Al Franken is a hoot!

That's the trouble with conservative radio listeners, they just make up stuff and pretend it's true. Air America is still going, you can listen to it right now at http://www.airamericaradio.com

Here's an article from today's Chicago Tribune:

http://tinyurl.com/yq3ba

But in New York, where Air America still broadcasts over WLIB-1190 AM, the network beat Limbaugh's station, Disney-owned WABC, among both 25-to-54-year-olds and 18-to-34-year-olds during the 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. period. In the 25-to-54 demographic, WLIB garnered a 3.4 share to WABC's 3.1; among 18-to-34-year-olds, WLIB won sevenfold with a 2.9 share to WABC's 0.4.

"After all, if they were still on the air, more people would realize the foolishness of their reasoning (or lack thereof). "

"That's the trouble with conservative radio listeners, they just make up stuff and pretend it's true."

I hope no one ever votes for anyone like you two.(This message has been edited by Achilleez)

Air America also recently lost some senior excecutives. I don't know whether they quit or were fired. Not an auspicious beginning.

As an aside, I found it amusing that the name they chose is the name of the controversial charter airline operated in Southeast Asia by the CIA during the last century. Somebody even made a potboiler movie about the airline titled simply "Air America." One of the main themes of the movie was that it (the airline) really was just a drug smuggling operation.

More than a few people owe their lives and freedom to Air America. Their helicopters played an important, and largely unrecognized, role in the final evacuation of Saigon in 1975. The famous picture of people climbing up a ladder to a chopper on a roof pad was actually a photo of an Air America chopper.

But I digress....

I don't plan to listen to Air America any more than I listen to any other talk radio. I wish them luck, but I am skeptical of their long term prospects.

Forget about Air America, has anyone else tried to listen to NPR. This baby is funded by our tax dollars and has set the bar pretty far to the left for any radio network that is trying to attract liberal minded listeners.

Remember to think critically of all political commentary.

CE

Just a point.

NPR does get some gov. funding but most of it comes from the stations which are viewer supported. I send money to my local one, I don't always agree with them but the voice must be heard. When our local station was told the state would not support it for political reasons,their fund raiser was swift and over the top in money raised.

Last night and this morning I listened to 1190 AM (Air America in New York) for short periods of time. Since my drive from work takes me from the far end of the New York radio reception area to the outer edge of the Philadelphia area (with a lot of overlap in between), and 1190 seems to be a somewhat less than 50Kw station, reception was poor most of the way. But what I did hear sounded like a mix of NPR and local radio, which is not all that surprising given that it has only been on the air for a few months. I remember that WABC, the main talk radio station in New York, went through a tremendous number of changes and short-lived hosts after it switched from music to talk in the early 80s. (It is now the NYC station that has Limbaugh, Hannity, and a bunch of local hosts who (with one exception) agree with those two on almost everything.)

I have not heard Al Franken's show. I was, however, disappointed when I heard that he had named his show as a parody of Bill O'Reilly's tv show. I think the important thing is for the "progressive" hosts to put their ideas out there and see what happens. Making fun of some conservative on tv is not what the public wants (in my opinion); of course, given the ratings reported by Merlyn, I could be wrong. Who knows what people want anymore. I guess we'll find out in November.

And, since they are still on the air, despite the wishful thinking of some, it will be interesting to see if the presence of "both sides" on talk radio, instead of 99 percent one side, will make any difference in the presidential election. Though, I wouldn't assume that all the "progressive" hosts would be enthusiastic supporters of John Kerry. During the 2000 election, WABC had 3 "progressive"/"liberal" hosts (2 regular and 1 weekend host), of whom 2 supported Ralph Nader and 1 sort of wavered between Gore and Nader, finally settling on Gore when it was clear how close the election was going to be. Meanwhile all the conservative hosts were in lockstep being the Republican ticket. So we'll see where the Air America hosts line up this time.