Your ID. Who really Cares?

There is another thread, where the ID of a person is in question.

Many people use a nickname or just a first name.

Many of these are very clever, some are very cute.

Alas, I am not that clever or that cute.

If I say who I am and come from where I say I am from. It would not take that long to find out details about me.

Of course, I might not really be me, and be someone else pretending to be me. Even if the details are right I might be someone who knows enough details to pull it off.

If there is someone who has nothing better to do then have more then one ID, and wants to disagre

with himself. - He may get a role in the remake of Soap; If that ever happens. Or there may be a need for medical attention. But again who cares?

At the end of the day what harm can he/they/them do?

As of right now.I am me. Happy to be me. And I am far too lazy to be me and someone else at the same time,

While there are times when I wish, that I was somewhere else, and times many years ago when I had found myself in hot water that maybe for that very short time, that I wasn't me. For most of the time, being me is all I have to go on.

My id, ego and karma are all doing fine.

If there is others out there who are not so lucky.

I really don't care.

Just for the record at this time this is me.

Eamonn

WHy does your post remind me of the joke (Groucho Marx?) that said, "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." I may not have quoted the saying correctly but I believe I captured the meaning.

I have no problem with people using "handles" for themselves when posting. However, it does encourage the nasty (IMHO) practice, all to often seen on the internet, of posting harsh, goading, and disrepectful messages that the same people would not dare to say to anyone in a face to face situation. Especially on a forum like this one, that behavior should be curtailed by all.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Kinda reminds me of Abbot & Costello's ol' "Who's on First?"....

Anyway, where required, I've always used my real identity, but those places are few, and mostly far more secure than forums such as this. My 'handle', 'moniker', 'nic', whathaveyou, is one that predates Microsoft, so in many ways, it really is me. A name gained many moons ago by those friends who all resided by the sea, as did I. Even the Mrs. resorts to that tag when the mood hits her. Few in the troop use it when addressing me. But when they do, it's usually 'Mr.' Saltheart.........lol..........

I would assume that nickname "stealing" happens frequently on the internet. Consider when trying to sign up for a Yahoo, Hotmail or AOL acount how hard it is to get the name you want. Seems 10,000 other people thought of it before you. For instance, kwc is my initials and 57 was the year I was born. Believe it or not, I've had to use different variations of those elements on other sites because kwc57 was already taken. Some people see a nickname that they like and use it on other sites they sign up for. No harm there unless you try presenting yourself as the person from the other site. Now, when you take someone else's actual name (John Doe) and use it or sign posts with it, you really are trying to be dishonest and stealing someone else's identity. There is another Scouting message board at usscouts.org where an "Al Lundy" has posted for a long time and has built quite a respected reputation there. FOG signed up her as FOG and signed his posts as Al Lundy. That is wrong, plain and simple. You know, if he had gone thru Wood Badge and was a Bob White and wanted to call himself that, he could have called himself Bob White 2003 or something of that nature to differentiate between the original BW and himself. Heck, he could call himself kwc99. Will it cause confusion? Probably, but it wouldn't necessarily be seen as malicious.

Being Scouters, we expect the scout law to be observed at our campfire here. That some want to come in and play games is a sad reflection on them only. As they say in other forums, don't feed the trolls. If they can't get a rise out of you, they eventually go elsewhere to try to stir the pot.

Just for the heck of it; I did a Google search on myself. I used my full name.

While I did find a few sites with me in/on them.

There were a lot more with the other guy, with the same name.

This could be due to the fact that he is the Archbishop of Dublin, Ireland.

Back to the topic.

Bob White, has put me in the "Loop".

As often is the case, I did not have all the facts.

I can now see why he cares.

What someone has done is not right.

Which makes it wrong.

Long before I joined Scouting at age 7, my parents went to great lengths to ensure that I knew the difference between right and wrong.

Now that I have aged a little and have been lucky enough to have had other people who have loved and cared for me, as well as done their best to help make me a good person.

I do try to live up to the Scout Law and Oath.

At times, I fail.

It is a very high standard. But I like to think that I'm getting a little better every day.

I have pals who are in 12 step programs, and they tell me that they will always be in recovery.

Just as they will never be cured, I'm never going to be able to get this down pat.

But I will bet that that other Eamonn, who is not me, but the Archbishop is having just as hard a time.

Most of us will never meet each other. And I have to admit that I was very tempted to quit this forum, due to all the non-Scout stuff. But like a moth to the flame, I came back.

I do think that it is strange that we can get so many postings on Gays and Uniforms, and yet so few on Working with Kids!!

I would hope that if you did meet me and were aware that I am who I am, and of course if I knew, you were you, we would be happy to spend some time talking with you face to face.

Sad to say, try as I may to be kind, there are some people that I would try and avoid at all costs.

The good thing is that even if I met these people, and didn't know who they were or who they were pretending to be. I would pick up on their lack of character, in a heart beat. Then I would make myself scarce.

They could use any name that they like.

The fact that they are not nice would shine through.

So when dealing with people like that,

Who really cares?

Not I.

Eamonn

(This is me - I think, therefore I am?)(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Eamonn wrote

I do think that it is strange that we can get so many postings on Gays and Uniforms, and yet so few on Working with Kids!!

This does not surprise me. Working with Kids is easy and fun, its us adults that mess it up!

"FOG signed up her as FOG and signed his posts as Al Lundy."

Puh-leeze get it straight. I signed up as the name that I may not type and changed to Fat Old Guy. Ironcally, I'm not really that fat or that old, it's what my Cub Scouts called me years ago when I put on a few extra pounds. The name stuck and that's how I'm known.

FOG,

Just how did you sign up as something different and then change it? I've been all through the profile section and don't see where you can change your user name. How did you sign up under one user name and then change it? Do you mean that you attempted to sign up with a used name and it was rejected so you signed up AGAIN as FOG? You ask me to get it right, tell me what is right and I'll get it down pat. All I can go on is what I saw, and it was posts with a user name of Fat Old Guy, but signed at the bottom as Al Lundy.

's funny. i doubt that I've seen anyone here in person - i just know you all to whatever extent that I do through your posts. and so of course the total of your posts becomes everything I associate with your Username.

i feel that most of the folks who post here are people of conscience, who feel strongly about important issues affecting not just Scouts but youth - indeed, society - at large. and whether or not i agree with what's said by whomever, most of y'all have my respect and some have my appreciation.

i guess i'm not here long enough to know many of the id's mentioned but i DO remember some - there are certain posters who seem just plain evil, just out to cause controversy to no end and with no idea about what scouting is all about

(by the way, I don't count Merlyn as one of evil ones - regardless of what anyone thinks, Merlyn is doing a favor for both the American atheist AND the Irving policy makers - taking too much 'public assistance' could end up redefining the BSA from a private to a public organization, and so forcing them into allowing gays. btw - i think they should be persuaded and not forced to allow gays. strange bedfellows all 'round).

anyway - long way around the lake - you are for the most part a darned good bunch, and regardless of where you might stand on certain issues, you're welcome in my Troop anytime.

so - taking the long way around the lake to say I appeciate most of you regulars - thanks.

kwc57, I think that Fat Old Guy was responding to one of my posts when he was originally signed on as Al Lundy and then switched. I can only surmise that when the forum switched his moniker it changed all occurrences of Al Lundy except those in the message texts. But I clearly remember username Al Lundy, and later my confusion at responses from Fat Old Guy. Anyway, I guess I don't have very strong feelings one way or another as to identity switches, etc. Maybe I just haven't thought about it enough.

littlebillie, I agree. Although I've been hard on a few posters from time to time, I haven't seen a post from anyone I wouldn't like to meet, you in particular. Thanks.

Dan,

You have hit the nail on the head.

We have a great program, that does work.

If we let it.

Nearly all the people that I have met that wear a Scout uniform are the salt of the earth.

Spending time and working for the good of the Kids, is more then rewarding.

Why do we then work so hard on messing it up ?

I can't help thinking about the Lemmings!!

Eamonn:

I hope I'm smart enough to let us all know if I think we're collectively heading for a cliff. Even if I'm not, I'll be the guy at the back who's late because he stopped for an Egg McMuffin!

DS

Hey Dave

Did they teach you that at "Charm School"?

Of course, with all the fuss we make about the White Cliffs of Dover, this could well just be a Brit. thing.

Just to change the subject for half a min.

Do professional Scouts, have a stock option with the McDonalds Corp? They do seem to spent a lot of time there.

Or is it: Police is to donuts as

DE. is to .....?