WoW 5 whole protesters "From the headlines link"

In Savannah Georgia! This isn't San Francisco. It's a small town. Does have a some what noticeable gay population, but still a small southern town. Not representative of the country about many things at all. So, I would say it doesn't tell you a whole lot that only 5 people showed up on a weekday for this "rally".

OGE,

Yes, Savannah is the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low. You can tour her house there.

She got the idea for Girl Scouts after visiting Lord Baden-Powell & his sister. His sister had founded Girl Guides in England.

It is also the setting for the true story of "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil". The main character in that story, Jim Williams is from my small hometown. As a child, he went to school with my uncles and said the kid charged other kids a penny to see his little movie projector (the Williams' had a little bit of money). He started collecting and selling antiques as a child in the 40's and 50's. He later moved to Savannah to continue his antique business and apparently lead a strange life style (not just gay, read the book).

I will tell you that Savannah does have it's strange people and gays. The few times I've been there, it seemed there was a large amount of people that it was hard to tell their gender.

ScoutParent writes:

"Sort of shows the depth of commitment these people feel to their cause. "

Most gays don't care about the BSA. I have a friend who is gay and says he doesn't know anyone of his gay friends who wants to be in BSA. He said this is not something they sit around and talk about --- they have jobs, houses, parents, etc. to take care of. It doesn't mean they want to be discriminated against, they just don't care to fight BSA, they have bigger dragons to slay.

The heterosexual population in the south is mainly conservatives who agree with the BSA policy. You aren't going to get the number of protesters you get in California or the Northeast.

I wish the article would have said how many they have had for this rally in Savannah in the past. Or have they ever even done this in Savannah?

sctmom,

The heterosexual population in the south is mainly conservatives who agree with the BSA policy. You aren't going to get the number of protesters you get in California or the Northeast.

Speaking as someone from the nation's capital (or rather Prince George's County Maryland), I would love to trade places with you. Give me those "narrow minded" conservatives in Savannah and their unsophisticated ways. I'll go down there and sip lemonade with them on the porch. If you prefer (and I have no idea of you really do), you can come up here and discuss the plight of homosexuals in America at the local Star Bucks in Georgetown.

Rooster, I live near Atlanta (which is not like the rest of the south in any way). I grew up in a very small rural town. Something I have discovered as an adult is that the small town people are not in favor of homosexuals, but will turn the other way about it as long as they are quiet. My mother used to get her hair cut by a man that everyone knew was gay. He was the only man who worked at the beauty salon instead of at the barber shop. Also, my mother has a cousin who is gay. I knew as a child that "Cousin John" was not like the other men, just didn't know why until I was older. No one talks about, they are real nice to these men and just pretend they are celibate. It's sorta funny in a way. Yet, if you ask my mother or anyone else they will tell you very quickly they don't want any gays around.

I'm not saying they are right or wrong or anything else, just pointing out one of the complexities of human beings. Now, a gay pride march in a small southern town would be a serious problem. Atlanta has a big gay pride weekend every June complete with obnoxious parade. My friend who is gay is so embarrased by that parade, because he isn't like that and knows it makes people upset. He's who he is and doesn't "flaunt" his life around in front of others.

Where I grew up, Atlanta was known as the place young gay men went to live and be waiters. No joke, any young single man who moved to Atlanta and became a waiter was considered "gay". Did seem to be true, who knows. Atlanta probably is more like Georgetown than it is like the south. So, if you do come south, don't come to the Atlanta area, we have Starbucks everywhere. Oh, and don't go to an area called Little Five Points. I don't think you would like it.

ALSO, I wasn't implying that conservatives are "narrow-minded" (even if I do think so often), just I'm in the south and know that it is typically conservative.