Why you should be happy George W. Bush is our President

OK, enough is enough. Everyone who wishes to rewrite history is free to do so. But regarding the whole internet thing, I wish they'd rewrite it after they read:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

The alleged claim by Gore that he invented the internet was, in fact, a statement that was made in Bush campaign commercials, not by Gore. Oh well. If you have evidence to the contrary, Snopes is eager to see it.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think W has been one of the worst presidents ever, and I blame Clinton and Kerry for it. It's clear to me that if Clinton had avoided personal hanky-panky, Gore would have easily won the 2000 election. Without Monicagate, there's no way W could have won (in fact, I wonder if the Republicans would have chosen him as their candidate if Gore hadn't been so hampered by Clinton's behavior). Then, in 2004, Kerry ran a simply lousy campaign.

Now, of course, it's W who's damaged goods, and the result may be a Hillary Clinton presidency. If that happens, you can blame W for it.

As I've admitted before, I voted for Nixon back when I was young and stupid. But I'd take Nixon (or ANY of the previous guys) today in place of what we've ended up with. In the end, we can't blame anyone but ourselves for reacting to Clinton or anyone else with some element of prejudice that allowed us to blindly elect someone worse.

But this is all in the past and we merely have to suffer until the end of the term. I wish we had a parliamentary system....oh well.

But let's face it - anyone who comes along is going to look good in comparison, at least initially. But that's only going to whet our short-sighted expectations and the fact is, whoever is next will inherit gargantuan problems that may have no solutions. The next administration is going to have a tough row to hoe and there's a perverse part of me that hopes the Republicans can hang onto everything. For that matter I'd vote for Rudy or Fred to help it along. We as a people deserve to see this through or else get it put to us all the way. As Jim Carrey might say, "Can....You....Feel....It?"

Yeah, bad vibes, sorry.

The next administration is going to have a tough row to hoe and there's a perverse part of me that hopes the Republicans can hang onto everything. For that matter I'd vote for Rudy or Fred to help it along.

Yah, there's somethin' about that whole "only Nixon could go to China" bit, eh? In some ways, it'd take a an honest and honorable Republican to dig out of da current mess. Admittin' errors, rebuilding the federal departments and the military.

If yeh don't have people within each party who are willin' to challenge complacency and incompetence within their own ranks first, then we're doomed to just alternate between screamin' partisans on one side or da other.

I'm sorta with Hunt. The low point came when the Democrat members of Congress all walked down to applaud Clinton after he was impeached by the House. More than anything, that showed Party comes before Principle or Country, and generated the natural reaction which led to Republicans in firm control.

I was readin' in an op-ed piece today that there are some 30 Republican and 30 Democratic senators who are in favor of followin' the Iraq Study Group engagement and withdrawal plan. Plus 20 mostly Republican Hawks who want to keep surgin' and 20 mostly Democrat Peacenicks who want to just get out. Problem is, Reid and a mess won't allow a vote on that because it's better for the Democrats (and Republicans) to "stick together" than it is to do what a bipartisan majority feel is right for the country.

A pox upon both their houses. We need an "American Party".

Beavah

I voted for Bush twice, and I'd do it again, if I could. Last time I voted for a Democrat was for Zell Miller for Governor - he was a conservative. Not too many of them left (if any) so I don't think I will be doing that again.

packsaddle wrote:

"OK, enough is enough. Everyone who wishes to rewrite history is free to do so. But regarding the whole internet thing, I wish they'd rewrite it after they read:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

The alleged claim by Gore that he invented the internet was, in fact, a statement that was made in Bush campaign commercials, not by Gore. Oh well. If you have evidence to the contrary, Snopes is eager to see it."

As is most often the case Snopes has a slant as does the any other media outlet. Snopes' asertion that Gore meant something other than "invent" is meek at best. Words mean things, something that the liberal in our society fail to understand. A Search of dictionaries for the word invent leads to the conclusion that the exact phrase that Algore uttered means he invented the internet. Since the exact word he used has for a defination in several sources invent. Perhaps Algore did not mean to say what he said, but he said it! Most politicians at one time or another say things that they should not yet when the dems say outrageous things we are supposed to overlook it. Please! The right side gets no slack when they mis-speak. By the time one reaches adulthood one is expected to mean what one says. When folks make boasts that they can not back up when called on them some would have us believe their attempts at clearification should be accepted without comment.

So why not just quote him accurately? Instead of 'inventing' something that isn't a direct quote? Anyway, I am still trying to decipher part of your post...

"Words mean things, something that the liberal in our society fail to understand." OK, which liberal? Does he have a name? And well, DUH! Of course words mean things. This reminds me of Rush Limbaugh, the bald ego, "Words have meaning" - DUH! again. Words are symbols and as such they are typographical conveniences for ideas. But when words are spoken or written, why change them when a direct quote is so much more accurate?

But now that you mention it, I'm curious. Please supply me with some examples when persons on 'the right' (whatever that means) have mis-spoken and were subsequently misquoted. I'd like to see the list. Or is that what you meant?

Why not quote exactly? Good question that I can not answer. How often is anyone quoted vebatim? I'll wager not very often. I have been mis-qoted in the past by a local newspaper reporter. He asked why I and my family were at a support the troops rally to which I replied because I had family in the service and that my father had been in the service during Vietnam, although not overseas. This went to ".... because his father served in Vietnam." My FiL which also happens to be a big part of the support our troops movement in our small town has been mis quoted on numerous occasions. If you want a list of past occurances you'll have to do your own research as I do not keep lists of things like that. many times in the past I have watched or heard debates or press conferences or public addresses only to find the next day in both print and TV reporters reporting things that simply were not said. The fact is he said that his (Algore's) efforts led to the creation of the internet.

"The liberal" is referring to a collection of individual liberal's not to a single one. "That depends on what the definiton of is is" WJ Clinton. Just one example, I'm sure I could find others if I were to spend the time researching. Yet why bother? Just to show to you. I do not know a single person that retains every little scrap of information that they have ever absorbed and used to make up their mind about a topic. Perhaps my mind is full from the tings that really matter to me such as Scout skills, woodworking skills and knowledge of methods, fly patterns that I could tie for any number of different species of fish that may or may not imitate a specific type of insect, practical knowledge of home repair stuff like wiring, plumbing, turf management, etc.(This message has been edited by BrotherhoodWWW)

Little late into this post but is George crying for 3,626 and counting. Cpl. Christopher G. Scherer, 21, of East Northport, N.Y., died July 21 from wounds suffered while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq. He was assigned to 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Can't believe anyone voted for for this clown in 2004. Let me ask this any of you want your kid to be the last casualty in this mess?

On Al Gore and the internet: I think Gore did try to take credit for the creation of the Internet, and he deserves some of the credit. But the Republican soundbite would not have been very effective if it had just pointed out that Gore exaggerated his contribution. So somebody came up with the idea of saying that Gore claimed to have "invented" the internet. Gore should have just laughed this off--but he wasn't a very good campaigner. I suspect that the Democrats will finally have learned from the misteps of Gore and Kerry, and that in the next campaign responses to criticisms will be much more swift and savage. Hopefully, they have realized that they can't sit back and be beaten up as Kerry was by the swift boat people, even if they don't want to "dignify" the attacks with a response.

ogghall,

Welcome.

I think we should all thank our lucky stars we have President Bush in office instead of some schmuck like Gore, Kerry or Edwards. I suppose some people think we could win by having tea and crumpets with these Godless, murderous bastards that want to kill all of us.

Gonzo,

Can you explain why you believe they are Godless? And why you think they are bastards? It is my understanding that the people we are talking about are deeply religious. And I infer that their religious convictions would result in very few of them being bastards.

Venividi

Venividi, (and anyone else who didn't understand my comment)

My reference to the murderous thugs who unprovokedly attacked US, The United States of America on 9-11-01 was a cleaned up version of how I really feel about the bleep bleeping SOB's who killed +/- 3,000 innocent people.

I don't insinuate that people who don't believe in God, like atheists are somehow "bad" because they don't believe in God, i.e. godless.

I mean to say that people, like the gutless creatures we fight today are cowards who hide behind women and children. They hide in places of worship and hospital and THEN shoot at us. Then WE get blamed for shooting at a mosque. These SOB's will torture women and children, they have dismembered women in public and beheaded people. We treat our prisoners will kindness. Some of you may argue, but we give our prisoners their religious material and allow them to practice their religion. They on the other hand execute non-believers.

I can not believe that their God actually tells them to kill any non-believers in order to achieve their place in heaven or some other after life and have their 72 virgins. If that really is the case, I hope they get well armed, celebut Catholic nuns.

Back to topic, I'm sure atheists who post here and elsewhere - I don't know that I personlly know any atheists - are nice people. That is, they are not "bad". Therefore, I am not some religous person spreading a common lie.

edited for typo, though there may be others(This message has been edited by Gonzo1)