Why you should be happy George W. Bush is our President

This is why I love our President.

(From the Washington Times, March 9, 2002):

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - President Bush, tears streaming down his cheeks, yesterday told the parents of a U.S. soldier killed in combat that their son "died for a noble and just cause." Meeting the relatives of a slain soldier for the first time since the war in Afghanistan began Oct. 7, an emotional Mr. Bush began to break down as soon as he pointed out the parents in a crowd gathered at a local electronics business. "Today, we've got the mom and dad of a brave soldier who lost his life, and a brother. God bless you," said the president, his voice breaking and his chin quivering. As Mr. Bush struggled to regain his composure, the crowd stood in applause. The president blinked back tears, then stepped back from the podium and took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. He smiled meekly and shrugged his shoulders. Stepping back up to the microphone, he said: "Thank you all for coming." Several reporters thought Mr. Bush was cutting short his speech. But he took another deep breath and smeared tears away from his left eye. "I know your heart aches, and we ache for you. But your son and your brother died for a noble and just cause," he said as a tear rolled down his right cheek. "May God bless you. May God bless you," he said, to more applause.

As a father of three teenaged boys, I know our President understands the costs, the sacrifices that are being made. He is taking his job and responsibility as President very seriously, and personally. God bless our President.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.W.

OGE, better look out, because I agree whole-heartedly too. When you see a tear in the eye of our president, you can believe that it is sincere, unlike our previous president, who could fake a tear in a heartbeat, if the polls told him to. As has been said well by some comentators, in this difficult time thank God the adults are back in the White House.

A little story:

It's 1999, late spring with beautiful weather, at an Air Force Base in the U.S. The President is coming to visit and a "troop event" (what they call it when he appears with troops, weapon systems, hardware, etc., surrounding him) is scheduled. The word goes out through command channels that there will be only so many troops/family members permitted to go for space and security reasons, so "tickets" will be apportioned to units on a per capita basis -- hurry or you might miss out. Two days before, then one day before, there were wheelbarrows full of tickets that hadn't been snapped up by troops or family members. The arm twist was on, and under duress, troops showed up.

Fast forward to February 2002, at an air base in Korea. The Commander-In-Chief is going to visit, and a troop event is scheduled. Attendance in the hangar will be limited by space, but if anyone wants to brave the Korea February weather at 5:45 a.m. (it was in the mid-teens without wind chill) to start processing security and stand outside on the tarmac, watching the speech either through binoculars or simulcast on big-screen TVs, you're more than welcome. Needless to say, no arm twist necessary...there were too many thousands of soldiers, airmen, sailors, marines, family members, civilians, and contract workers to count, many of whom traveled for hours to get there. This sea of humanity was literally shoulder to shoulder in bitter cold for over three hours for the privilege to see and hear our President, the First Lady, the Secretary of State, and the National Security Advisor. We went to see him, to thank him, to honor him, to assure him we thought he was doing the right things, and to let him know that these Americans, halfway around the world in a different harm's way, supported him 100%. My kids were with me, and while my son is quite stoic, my daughter is known to complain if her bowl of Lucky Charms doesn't have enough marshmallows in it -- she didn't complain once about the wait, the cold, or the crowd.

...we're unbelievably happy that George W. Bush is our President...

The thing that I have come to admire about W in this current situation is that, while he is unafraid to take chances and do what needs to be done, he will never send our armed forces in harm's way on fools errands, unlike our former president. You know that he does not treat soldiers' lives as cheap commodities to be used and disposed of carelessly.

I got out of the army in 1968 after returning from a tour of duty in Viet Nam. Talk about a costly fool's errand. It was many years before I regained confidence in either our presidents as C in C or the top brass of the military. We certainly have the right man in the right place at the right time. God does indeed look after America.

• 3 months later...

I came home from my second tour in Vietnam with a few missing parts, and 2 Purple Hearts. That effort and sacrifice might have meant more, and might have been more tolerable, had the Commander in Chief had the slightest bit of sincerity in his concern for the troops he sent forth. eisely, you probably understand more than some. A deep sense of sincerity towards ones position and responsibilities shows forth without effort. And that's one thing that I like about GWB. There's no show there. It's real, and it's deep. He may be far more of a religious man than some who have occupied that office, and that's alright with me. Somehow, the old hurts seem a little lighter for it.

I was fortunate enough to come home in the same condition in which I departed, and with nothing more than the standard campaign medals. In times of war everybody takes risks, but one needs to know that the risks serve a real purpose. Our political and military leadership in the 60s did not themselves believe in what they asked us to do, hence the bitterness and drug problems in the military of the 70s. It is interesting to reflect on the difference between North Viet Nam and Iraq as military foes. Iraq had far more military potential in the Gulf War than did the North Viet Namese. The difference in their performance was, in my mind, the difference in the attitudes of their soldiers. The North Viet Namese soldiers always knew why they were fighting. The Iraqi soldiers were never convinced by their leaders that the sacrifices they were asked to make mattered.

• 3 months later...

Good golly Rooster, can't you (and admittedly I am not just talking about "you," I am talking about what seems like an entire industry including talk radio and half the Internet) let it go? The guy in the picture on the left isn't president anymore. That's what you were waiting for, right? Can't people stop talking about him, and posting pictures about him, etc.? It never ends. One of our grandchildren will be President and you'll still be complaining about Clinton.

And if we're going to make comparisons here, I find the ability to complete a sentence in the English language to be a bit more important than skill in using binoculars. If you want to keep this thread going, perhaps you'd enjoy a compendium of our current President's rhetorical gaffes. I'm sure I can find one on the Internet. I forget the one from last week, but it was a doozy.(This message has been edited by NJCubScouter)