1 hour ago, Chris1 said:

I think that is good news.  After the game when I did WB, I questioned several of the senior staff about the negative impact on morale and camaraderie. I also voiced the opinion that it was not scout-like for the staff to act in that manner, or treat participants that way. 

I also stated that it lessened my trust and impression of those involved. And I did not get upset during the game at all, in part because I am not a competitive person and also because I am math nerd and I figured out that it was a zero-sum game and the game theory behind It. 

I am glad to hear it is being reviewed. 

I completely agree.  Glad they are starting to test it away.  Interesting view points from those that commented.  I didn't understand "Game Theory" until I saw the TED talk by Simon Sineck, If you like to hear it there is a video on YouTube I recommend.  Once I started to study "Game Theory" I realize how counter productive WAYC was.  I heard of some stories in the business world of this game and they are not done right either.  Game Theory is a perfect view of many different areas of contention.  I believe the game just gets people upset and doesn't provide as much benefit compared to negative effects.  My experience really affected me and I have no desire to help out with WB at the time being.  I don't even communicate with my patrol members anymore, even if I see them at a scouting event.  I guess I'm one of the few percent it didn't work for.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Naw, focus on the boys, that's where the real reward in scouting is.  District and council politics is not my game.  I was in scouting for over 20 years before I got District Award of Merit and I've b

My overall premise is that someone who has already had corporate-style leadership training in the private sector or the military (really, many other governmental setting could apply) will gain very li

This game is nothing new. My college did something similar back in the day, and I was required by one of my teachers to attend the 3 hour time-wasting exercise as a part of one of my classes. He would

10 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

It was a rough  night in our WB course, but, it was also interesting to reflect on.  I think I learned things from the exercise.  Of course, it is a struggle to be set up to be in competition, then have the objective changed to be cooperation.  It's a trick.  I was in competitive mode the whole time, and having a big failure is always a learning experience. We had a cracker barrel afterward and some time to chat.  It was very dramatic for us.  Rough but we moved on and it is not the main feature of WB, or my most vivid memory from the course, we had so many other positive moments that are more significant than Win  All You Can. 

I think I missed something when I took the course, because it really didn't impact me or my patrol.  I will always remember that at the cracker barrel after the game, the staff kept asking us if we were OK.  We were baffled why they were so concerned.

But, having gone back as a staffer and then also talking to lots of folks, I do understand it.  I think it's unfortunate how it impacts people.  The core message I'm OK with - check the natural desire to personally win against the much larger benefit the group gains by succeeding together.

A little I'm reminded about the Mike Rowe topic.  I see the Game of Life as kind like Wood Badge throwing an elbow.  It's unpleasant, but it makes a point and leaves a memory. 

I was surprised at how many people got sucked up in the moment, given that it was a scout training event. It took me a while to figure out that was the point. In a way it was good because we were doing, rather than talking about it. Still, I would have preferred coming up with fun games teaching outdoor skills.

8 hours ago, MattR said:

I was surprised at how many people got sucked up in the moment, given that it was a scout training event. It took me a while to figure out that was the point. In a way it was good because we were doing, rather than talking about it. Still, I would have preferred coming up with fun games teaching outdoor skills.

Did more people get sucked up in winning or angry when others wouldn’t cooperate?

Most got too into the game. Some got upset that the others couldn't figure it out. That created a lot of tension, at which point I sort of checked out. There's a point where one just can't make it better.

This was many years ago.