Wood Badge-what do I really need?

Hi everyone, I am heading to Wood Badge this year. Our first weekend is coming up, I am headed to the scout shop Saturday to pick up the last things. What do I really need other than the basics. We already have uniforms but I am picked up extra socks. I can't see wearing the same ones all weekend, yuck!

What else did you take that you were glad that you did.

Thanks!

If your Scout Camp is like ours, the best thing that i took was a stadium seat with good padding. The Scouters that did not, had them for the second weekend.

Robert L. DeWitt

Chickasaw District

Georgia Carolina Council

Boy Scouts of America

In addition to what others have said (especially what Gonzo said!), I'd add a very lightweight shirt to put on underneath your uniform shirt. Makes getting into "class B" when the occasion arises easier, and spares your uniform shirt of some of the grunge that may come with wearing it more than once during your weekend. Don't forget to pack your sense of humor!

Also, a burning desire to become a BOBWHITE is always good (and perhaps you'll get lucky on that front).

Enjoy your weekend - Lisa'bob (A good old Bobwhite too!)

I was a veritifiable "newbie" when I took WB and wondered why I was asked to bring a red jacket. Was it really needed, no, but Woodbadgers like the official uniform wear (I didn't even know their was an official BSA wool jacket at the time). If you can pass a uniform inspection, you are set.

I would also bring a knife and some "office supplies" - paper, pen, pencil, etc. Usually, they do provice an equipment list and your patrol (go Bears!) will figure out what you need cooking/tenting wise for the second weekend (assuming your two weekends are cabin first, tent second).

Have fun!

As others have said, follow the list the Course Director gave you. A good camp chair is always useful to have.

Check the weather in your area: Rain gear and a tarp are welcome when God decides to water the campsite ;)

Of course, your heart should be set upon being an OWL, after all, we rule the night!

Finally, HAVE FUN!

We were in tents both weekends (2nd was a patrol weekend). I was glad I brought along a notepad and pen - at night before I turned off my little tent lantern, I wrote a note to my son. I recapped the whole day with as much details as my sleepiness would allow! I brought it home after the first weekend and we read it together. I took it back with me on weekend 2 and continued writing notes. It became a nice keepsake of my WB experience and a good way to share with my son.

clyde

A good ol' Bobwhite - working my ticket! 2 down, 3 to go!

"Bring a smile, good attitude, willingness to learn and creativity.

Gonzo1

SR-59

"

And just as important, be ready to make new friends with scouters from all over your area. You'll also have the opportunity to learn more about other's ideas. Oh - and be prepared to have fun.

And if you don't become a FOX, you'll still learn a lot.

Tom C

Fox C-44-06

(This message has been edited by tcherven)

Thanks everyone!

I did run out and pickup extra socks at the scout shop but other than that I think I have everything on their list.

Although this past week a new list came to my house telling us that a laptop computer would be good to have to help produce a newsletter. Yikes, I really don't think that I want to cart about my laptop for the weekend.

I will have to check at my parents hosue to see if they still have the stadium seats from back in the day.

Wish me luck, I a nervous for this upcomming weekend!

You'll have a great time, relax. About the laptop - I think I might contact the course director (or whoever you have contact info for) and check on that. We had a specific staffer at our WB course who was in charge of the newsletter (scribe, I believe) and he had his own laptop. It really isn't high on the list of things I think you "need" in any sense of the word. And you definitely don't need 35 or 40 people bringing one! Heck, you're only going to be there for a couple of days - laptops are definitely optional and some people may enjoy going "unplugged." You are camping, after all.

Good luck and have fun, One of the things that really stuck in my mind this last course I was on.

One of my patrol members, he was a Beaver after all, read in the equipment list that he needed a "camp chair". He thought this meant a "backpacking chair" and brought a very small, very uncomfortable tripod arrangement. That lasted about 2 hours. I loaned him my chair (padded directors chair from Costco) and he enjoyed the rest of the first weekend.

I brought 2 chairs. 1 for my tent/cabin and one for classes. That beats hauling a chair around everywhere, believe me. The stadium seat is an excellent idea, especially for campfires and gatherings in an amphitheater setting. Flag making material might not be on your list, but you should be prepared. Cup or mug for coffee and water during presentations. 1Q Nalgene works well too, but sometimes a cup is needed.

Having been on staff as a sribe, I can say that participants don't need laptops. I had one to prepare the Gilwell Gazette, which is the daily paper/newsletter for the course. As a partrol, participants are encouraged to submit articles for the gazette, but they can be hand written.

Eagles SOAR!