Cub Resident Camp Trading Post

I am looking for some suggestions.

If you were asked as to what should be in a trading post, during a Cub Scout and Webelos Resident Camp, what items would you like to see in the trading post.

What uniforms parts, books and other program items. Leader training books, Beltloop cards, things like that.

Lets get a list going.

If it's a trading post designed for Cubs, then scrap uniform parts, awards cards, etc. Maybe have a few adult-oriented program materials and supplies, but for the rest, put the kids first. The council service center and the national catalog are the place to get that kind of stuff.

Your Cubs will eat up smaller, affordable items - pocketknives, whetstones, craft lace (gimp), whistles, water bottles, patches, T-shirts, simple pocket first-aid kits, Hot Sparks, collapsible cups, small magnifying glasses, bubble compasses, thermometers, snakebite kits. Set your price points carefully, so a kid can buy one or two "neat" items, a patch or T-shirt, and still have a couple bucks for snacks.

Since it's a resident camp, also offer basic supplies - toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, floss, soap, shampoo. Also consider snacks, sodas, Snapple, juices, etc.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but you could also load on on dollar store items such as water balloons, slingshots, squirtguns, foam airplanes, foam footballs, Frisbees, etc.

Shortridge

Your cubs need shaving cream. Just kidding.

Also for the purpose of the information. This resident camp is going to be at the local summer camp. They are taking one week and letting the Cubs use the camp and the other weeks are for the BS units.

THere are going to be a lot of things there, but I am looking for a good list of what we should have there for everyone. Thanks for the idea of the Adult program materials. I am guessing that you are saying Leader Books, BALOO Books and stuff like that. and maybe program helps if they are out by then.

glow sticks!!! if the boy hasn't camped anywhere but campgrounds where there are lights out and about they will be surprised how much darker it is at resident camp... 1 glowstick in the tent for cubs really makes them rest better which means the adults can sleep

otherwise: craft kits, walking sticks were a hit when my son was there for webelos but they also became swords which is why our boys didn't get them until they were older, decks of cards, marbles.

and of course - patches, tshirts, extra batteries, socks, hats, water bottles

Items that go along with the theme for the camp (Pirates-spyglasses, hats/eye patches).

Items the boys can use during free time.

Carabiners

Water bottles

Usually the trading post items will be picked by the Camp Director, in conjunction with council. These are often based on the camp's budget, and weather the camp has to purchase them up front, or council will supply them (usually along with a Scout Shop employee).

How about stuff the kids can buy and turn into their own activities, like simple leatherwork kits, water balloons, PVC pips and fittings to make their own marshmallow guns, squirt guns. With all this stuff, if a den leader or group of Scouts wanted to buy the stuff and put it together, they can then go out and do something with it.

Part of the fun of a trading post is making it a place to hang out. You do that with drinks and snacks, but also by having the facilities where the boys can relax and work on the crafts they buy there.

I staff at a Bear Resident Family Overnight Camp operated by our Council.

ICE CREAM SELLS

COLD DRINKS SELL

T-shirts sell

Walking sticks sell

Necklaces with miniature arrows on them sell.

Rabbitskins sell

You name it, if it's in the trading post at Scout Camp, it sells.

Thank you all for the suggestions. THere have been some good ones and things that I would have not thought of.

Scout Nut - You are right in that the director usually picks up the items. But we have been talking and we were looking for what kind of things would be more appropriate vs a Boy scout camp.

We have got a lot of suggestions on what to have in there, are there any suggestions on what not to have. you know things that di nothing but cause problems in your camp. let make this a suggewstion forum for both what to have and what not to have.

SctDad,

When I staffed a resident camp TP, we sold shaving cream only to leaders or Boy Scouts who were clearly in need of a shave. No need to enable pranksters. They'll just learn to plan ahead for next year. Shaving gel is even worse... try getting it cleaned out of your shoes or off your pillow, tent or latrine seat.

I wouldn't sell silly string - it can be biodegradable, but it takes a really long time to degrade, making camp areas look very unkempt, and can also stain. I also wouldn't offer water balloons, since they don't exactly degrade very well and can harm wildlife. (The exception would be if you had a "water war"-type event in a specific area, and afterwards policed the area thoroughly.)

Add flashlights and ponchos to the "good" list. There's always someone who'll forget theirs. Those small battery-powered handheld fans might be good, if it gets really hot or humid in your neck of the woods.

For fun stuff, consider checking out Coghlan's - it's the "outdoor accessory" wholesale company that sells a lot of stuff in Wal-Mart's outdoors section (www.coghlans.com). They have a bunch of items that would seem ideal for Cub camp - bug jars, butterfly nets, insect houses, pond nets, binoculars, kid telescopes, kites. Of course, those are available from other sources as well - probably better quality, but more expensive.

Check out dollar stores and teacher's stores (educational supply shops) for other relatively inexpensive but neat, unconventional items - ocarinas, rainsticks, recorders, pencils, goofy pens, etc.

Don't forget to make parents' lives more comfortable in camp by offering folding stools, pocket hammocks, pack pillows, etc.

And you can never go wrong by stocking a couple rolls of duct tape!(This message has been edited by shortridge)

When I ran a TP we had some of the followig food items.

Nachos

Pizza

ice cream

Slushies

Slushies were the #1 food item as they were cold, and didn't contain caffeine. Microwavable pizza are great, especially if you can get a small plug in oven or pizza cooker. I had access to a pizza cooker and it was excellent, almost like take out. One caveat, after the first week of camp, the SE stopped us from serving food 30-60 minutes before meals, i cannot remember exactly how long, b/c alot of camp food was being thrown away.

I cannot reiterate glow sticks and lace by the yard for the CS. flaslites and batteries too. i'l aslo carry 1 or two disposable cameras.

Also any type of craft that is requirement oriented and they can make at camp.

If i can possibly find my old proposed SOP for a summer camp trading post that I wrote up for national, I'll email it to ya. It had a very detailed inventory items of what you want. Also you can see if council still has a copy of it. I know when i first moved back, I emailed a copy of it to the Dir. of Support Services, who was also the camp director.

(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Thanks everyone, these lists are great.

nldscout

You mean they are not already over active. I guess you are looking to hype them up and send them for a hard crash after the campfire.

Eagle92, that would be great if you could send that.

Lets see what we have so far

Theme Related Items (If there is one)

then scrap uniform parts

awards cards

adult-oriented program materials and supplies

pocketknives

whetstones

craft lace (gimp)

whistles

water bottles

patches

T-shirts

simple pocket first-aid kits

Hot Sparks

collapsible cups

small magnifying glasses

bubble compasses

thermometers

snakebite kits.

glow sticks

craft kits

walking sticks

decks of cards

marbles.

extra batteries

socks

hats

water bottles

Carabiners

ICE CREAM (Available in the Machine Outside)

COLD DRINKS

Necklaces with miniature arrows on them

Rabbitskins

Folding stools

Pillows

Duct Tape

Nachos

Pizza

ice cream

Slushies

That is quite a list.

I'd add-

Neckercheif slides or kits to make your own, deodorant, leather belts or kits, fishing gear if near a stream or lake, yo-yos, sewing kits, collectable mugs, sweatshirts, combs, small toothpast and toothbrush kits, soap.

Depends if your have a whole room or just a table!!

Actually, I'd leave the smellables off the list: My Council Reservations both have critters such as raccoons and skunks; they like!!! smellables.

True Story, except for the name: Bobby was 13 and in his 3d camping season. He comes from a family who loves the outdoors. One night after dinner, Bobby didn't wash the peanut butter from his cracker barrel snack from his face.

About 2AM, Bobby had a friend nuzzle him on his bed. The friend was none other than Ricky Raccoon, licking off the remains of the peanut butter. Bobby, being Bobby, was delighted and gave Ricky a hug.

A few years later, a photo, taken by the tentmate, mysteriously found its way into Bobby's Eagle Court of Honor slideshow.

LEAVE THE SMELLABLES OFF THE SALE LIST