Profanity (Yes in Cub Scouts)

I was at a town parade the other day and one of the leaders came up to me and told me that one of my Tiger Cubs called someone (She thought it was her) a Fat _ _ _ . Well I told him that there would be no place for that language and that if I heard something like thatagain, then he would be asked to get off the float.

Should I bring this up at a meeting where I have all the boys present, and make it absolutely clear that profanity from Cub Scouts will not be tolerated, and that it is strongly discouraged among parents. I myself have a foul mouth from time to time, but I have learned to control it among the scouts.

If this is something that I should do, and if so what can I do for consequences.

I would have a talk with the cub and his adult partner. Have the scout explain to you and his mom or dad why such language is improper. Explain to the parent that you appreciate their invovement in seeing that it does not happen again, Then I would require that the scout apologize to the female leader. Whether he was saying it about her or not, he used that language in front of her and that in itself deserves an apology.

Most 6/7 year olds who use that sort of language learned it either at home or on the school bus. I'd make sure I let the kid's parents know that he was heard using objectionable language and ask them to ensure that he understands why that's not appropriate. Sometimes, especially if he is the oldest or an only child, young parents don't realize just how much their little ones are picking up from them!

He's a Tiger Cub - Where was his Adult Partner, you know, the one who is supposed to be by his side doing everything with him, during this incident?

I would have taken the offended leader straight to the boy's Tiger Partner then and there.

However, at this point, being after the fact, I would talk to the boy and his partner, personally, as soon as possible. Punishment is the parents responsibility, not yours.

I agree with the poster who asked where this Tiger Cub's partner was during this?

As far as addressing it, you most certainly do have to , we have done that by having both Pack and Den rules, regarding proper meeting behavior and outdoor behavior. The boys all had input into them and those are what we made the rules as it were.

You, as the Cub Master, also have a responsibility to those that your Cub's will come into contact with , while in public, and you would do both yourself and the Cub a favor by having a talk with the parents and the Cub, along with him making an apology to the Leader.

Good luck,

Pack28 CC

Well... was she ?!? Just kidding (kind of...)

While I would not condone anyone, least a cubbie and a Tiger at that, using such language. I think you are missing a "teachable moment" on multiple levels.

IF this was in earshot of other scouts - include them ALL in the discussion.

1) Lesson of being polite and self control. What is proper behavoir? What is proper language? (Maybe lesson in what is proper volume of voice when making a comment one might find offensive)? Oh come now - its not like the parents don't stand around and make judgements and comments ALL the time about other families and adults. You don't think the cubs pick up on this? How then, did Jr. LEARN the proper circumstance for using such a discriptive expletive?

2) Lesson in thinking of other's feelings before you speak. How would it make YOU feel if someone said that about you? What if they said it about your mom?

3) Language arts lesson. Have the offender(s) list you 5 to 10 ways the same statement could have been made without using profanity. My father used to do this to me when I would have a "slip of the toungue". He'd remind me that profanity is the "shortcut" of an uneducated person that lacks the mental capacity to come up with a suitable non-profane word. So, he'd make me repeat the phrase while using more appropriate language.

I.E. - calling someone a "fat _ _ _"

They have a rotund gluteous maximus...

They bring an extra seat cushion to the sofa...

They are big boned...

They are the reason they have double doors on all public buildings...

See... still offensive - yes. Profane, no. Much more funny - most likely...

The point is to not make it a game and to not minimize the infraction. The point is to teach the kid that there are MUCH better adjectives, adverbs, nouns, etc... out there that are often MUCH more funny than the profane choice. Make them use their mind a little. Less likely to need to wash out the mouth the next time. It also teaches that when they choose to use profanity, it is the SPEAKER that looks like a fool. It makes them look stupid. Yes, I know self-serving, but trust me... boys ages 7 to 12 will respond to that type of reason.

Plus, if they DO get in trouble... they'll likely get less admonishment, b/c at least their saying would have more comedic (and thus redeeming) value.

Just my two cents worth...

Plus if the mom that was so offended wasn't even the target of the comment, maybe she DOES need to go on a diet :) Maybe she could take the little bugger and his freinds on a 5 mile hike? That would be a win-win for all involved.(This message has been edited by DeanRx)

I'm just impressed that someone that young came up with that.

Sounds like one of those moments that if I were there, I wouldn't want to be drinking milk.

I'm no Jack Spratt, but I don't think I would get that worked up over the words of a CHILD.

As Bill Cosby Said: Kids say the darndest things...

I believe that the issue has been resolved. The boys uncle had a little discussion with him after the parade. And I think that he also told the Tigers mother about it later. His uncle was the adult partner at the Parade.

Sarge - I have always enjoyed one thing that someone told me when my first child started talking, "Kids will never misquote you, matter of fact, they will repeat things word for word that you shouldn't have said to begin with."