Any ideas on how to get new boys to sign up with the troop??! We recently set up a Camp Display near a youth center. We got one boy who said "maybe", and a cubscout. Anything and Everthing will be greatly appricated.

Can't tell you how well this works because we haven't done it yet but . . . we're planning a Scout-O-Rama for our district in the fall. This will be a district-wide recruitment at all levels of scouting. Each unit will be able to set up an exhibit that demonstrates what they're doing in scouting. We'll have demonstrations of scout skills, pinewood derby, raingutter regatta, etc. Kids of all ages will be able to try their hand at some of the scout activities.

We don't have a mall so we'll have to do some additional work to get the people to come to us.

You could probably do a smaller version of this if you're only wanting to recruit for your troop.

One of the best recruiting our troop ever did was when we hosted a day event for the Webelos. They got a taste of boy scouts and were REALLY enthusiastic. As a matter of fact, a new troop was born partly because of our event. The boys from a pack a fair distance from us came to our event and got so excited that they convinced their parents to start a troop!

Hope this helps. Good luck with your recruiting.

What about going to the schools during "Back to School night" and having a display w/scouts to talk to the possible applicants or make a personal visit to the Webelo's 2 dens in your city, take a couple of boys to talk to the Webelos and invite them to a Troop Meeting. Then at that Troop meeting maybe set up a mock campsite complete and have different stations 1. How to set up a tent 2. How to pack a backpack 3.Lashing station and then as they complete have some Dutch Ovens going for some desert for all who attend.

This is what our troop is going to try to attempt this upcoming year for recruitement. Good Luck

First let me start by saying...I am back after a short absence.

While focusing on new boys who have never been in scouting before is fine, I would suggest working with the area packs. Most pack don't really ever see their troops, so the boys don't really know what the boy scouts do. We are really starting to work on our Webelos to Scout transistion.

1 Troop meeting is good, But the 2nd year Webelos NEED to go camping a few times with the Boy Scouts, and visit the troop meetings more than a few.

Work on Pack to Troop communication and involve each other and I will guarantee You will not have a problem recruiting.

Don't forget...once you have the boys, make sure that you have a good program for them and that it is boy lead. That will keep them.

Tim Dyer

UC

I strongly endorse the idea that you need to direct a significant amount of your recruiting at Cub Scout packs. Get the Cubmaster and Webelos leader names for every pack within a reasonable distance of your troop (in my metro area, that would be a one mile radius). In your case, I would definitely include packs located off-base.

Contact them NOW to schedule visits to the troop AND to the pack early next fall. Invite the Webelos dens to go camping, especially if your District hosts a camporee (and remember, you CAN attend out of District or even out of Council events). If you have the right boys, encourage them to consider serving as den chiefs.

Now, what about older boys or boys not in Cub scouts? Make sure your troop is visible in your community. March in the 4th of July parade or hand out flags. Host a base-day visit for middle school aged boys in the surrounding communities where they can check things out. Make sure your troop gets recognized in the local papers. How? Send out simple news releases for each COH, etc.

Good luck!

Less than 10% of our Boy Scouts have never been Cub Scouts. Spend your time with Cubs (troop guide is helpful). On the other hand our venture crew has been able to get non scouts to join (I guess they now realize the adventure they have been missing is now cool).

I did boy talks at the school with the 5th and 6th graders in late April and an open house at the Church taht charters us in early May. Things went as well as can be expected. Out of the 100 or so positive responses I had 6 boys join and 2 transfer from other troops. Better than the 5% average for our area.

Our district is also having what they are calling a county wide sign up night this fall and if it works out well, they will do it in both counties that make up the district next year. They plan a full blown add campaigne coomplete with Billboards, posters, flyers, school boy talks att all the schools and more!

This coincides with our plans for a flal Open house. The troop planned to do again what we did in April except that we are going to set up camp in the park next to the elementary school and have many live demonstrations and hands on stuff for the boys to do. We can use the large shelter or the school gym if it rains.

Unfortunately our Cub Scout Pack is small and has no Webelos to work with. I do invite Webelos from neighboring communities to do activities with us, but so far, no response. I imagine they are busy with the troops in their own communities.

Just my 2 cents.(This message has been edited by scoutmaster424)(This message has been edited by scoutmaster424)

20 years ago when I was a Scout, we regularly recruited on school registration day, at the local elementary school (with the approval and endorsement of the principal, of course).

We would set up a campsite in the yard, and we would have a table set up in the regular school registration area. Folks who were not familiar with us would ask "what do we do at this table?", and we'd tell them! :-)

We also had several Scouts in full uniform acting as guides for parents new to the school; directing them to the registration area, and (with school permission, again) giving tours of the school with the parent and new student.

This yearly recruiting and community service event served us well for many years.

I haven't done this personally but many of our Troops run "bring a friend night" each year and do well out of it. Our Cubs (ages 8-11) do this with great success. Obviously you need a brilliant program for the evening and a terrific medium term program for them to take home and look forward to returning for.

I'm not a marketer either but my reading of that field indictaes that you should get all of the ideas generated here and run a campaign over a short but intense time to get the message out loud and clear. Use media where available, school newsletters, visits, etc; everything at the same time.

We put an ad in local church bulletins for a Scout Day, a sort of camp at a local nature center which our Scouts put on. There is a monkey bridge, a sample ax yard, nature hikes, and other activities. It's a great tool for retention and recruiting.

I'll go the Cub Scout route a step further -- if your Troop doesn't have an affiliated Pack, start one! This is especially true if your chartered organization is a church or a similiar group with a ready supply of younger boys.

Contact you local District Executive about setting up a Pack. You can also talk up the idea with your chartered organization head and parents of boys with Cub-aged brothers.

purcelce,

Your bigest hurdle was one of timing. This is not an effective time of the year to find new Boy Scouts. Most eligible cubs crossed into troops in February. The few non-cub boys who might join have alreadyt made summer plans.

Take this time to get your strategy together. Start building a relationship with a pack or packs. Invite 2nd year webelos to a fall campout or winter troop lockin. Begin recruiting for thee February cross-overs. The are lots of eligible boys, but just like in fishing it's naot just a matter of bait, you have to be out when the fish are biting.

Good Luck,

Bob White

• 1 month later...

I personally would never discount the effectiveness of a good school assembly.

When I was just entering first grade a cubmaster who had been an eagle scout came, gave a presentation on cub scouting and the

opportunities in Boy Scouting.

The assembly I attended inspired me to "trail the eagle" and I have constantly been involved in scouting since I was a tiger cub. Currently I'm a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster, working on eagle, and a member of a brand-new venture crew.