Blue vs Tan Shirts

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if they stick with the blue or switch to tan at some point. My older son needed a bigger size shirt after his Bear year, so I bought him a tan shirt with room to grow. He was then able to wear it as a 1st year Boy Scout before he outgrew it. My younger son outgrew his brother's hand-me-down blue shirt after his Wolf year, so I had no choice, but to get him a larger blue one. I'm going to have him wear the blue one all through out Webelos, so I get my money's worth out of this shirt.

Our 2nd year Webelos still had blue shirts to the end, but at Blue and Gold, part of their Arrow of Light ceremony had them going into a "cave" and coming out with the new tan shirts.

Right now, 2 of my 12 Webelos 1's have a tan shirt, and a few others need a bigger shirt, so I recommended that they go for the tan one in a big enough size to wear for a few years.

A practical time to switch to the tan shirt is when they earn their Webelos badge. Then you can get the oval badge to put on the pocket of the new tan shirt. I left the Tiger, Bobcat, Wolf, and Bear badges on my son's blue shirt, and he keeps it as a souvenir of Cub Scouts. His tan shirt will still fit him as a boy scout.

Man, I wish I still had my Cub Scout uniforms. Still have all the badges and everything, but the shirt went to my little brother, and then somewhere I don't remember, while the scarves and hats went to the boy down the street. At least I've still got my Webelos book...hehehe...

Blue or tan is a choice for families to make while a Cub is in Webelos. My son remained in his blue shirt through bridging, and that was his choice. He liked having all of his ranks, arrow points, etc. on his uniform. However, the rest of the den, even some new boys who had new blue shirts, purchased tan shirts because one person said it would be nice if they all did (talk about peer pressure!). To me, that was a tremendous waste of money, but if the families were willing to pay, then it's certainly an option to change color even if not necessary.

Eh, it's only a waste of money if they're not going into Boy Scouts afterward, no? If nothing else it can help excite some boys about moving into the new program. I remember myself being excited at finally being allowed to sport a pair of blue epaulets like the leaders wore (and seriously, if they continue on then the blue epaulets would be the only extra expense, at all of about $2.35 or so...).

Attending roundtables this year, I was surprised to learn that the sole purpose of Cub Scouts is to feed Boy Scout troops! At first, I was outraged--(So that's why our troop never participates in School Night for Scouting. They expect us to do all the work and hand them Webelos II on a silver platter!) But if that's the way it is, I'll go along with it. I think switching to the tan shirts helps transition Webelos to Boy Scouts--it's less of an expense to join the troop when all you have to do is change a few patches; our troop even gives them the red epaulets and pays their registration fee.

mbscoutmom, I don't know where you heard that or who told you -- but that's wrong. Preparing boys for Boy Scouts is just one of ten purposes of Cub Scouting. Here's the list:

1. Character Development

2. Spiritual Growth

3. Good Citizenship

4. Sportsmanship and Fitness

5. Family Understanding

6. Respectful Relationships

7. Personal Achievement

8. Friendly Service

9. Fun and Adventure

10. Preparation for Boy Scouts

As you can see, preparation for Boy Scouts is the last of the ten purposes; none of the purposes is more important (or less important) than the others.

http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-502.html

The Webelos to Scout Transition has always had a big emphasis with councils. Their point, of course, is not to loose membership.

Just because it is one of your DE's top priorities, does NOT mean it should be YOUR top priority as a Cub Scout Leader. As a Cub Scout Pack leader, sure you want your boys to stay involved in Scouting past Cubs, but you should be concentrating on the other 9 purposes too or number 10 will not happen.

BTW - Many Troops do not participate in School Night for Scouting. Some Troops are overly complacent about their incoming Webelos. Some do their recruitment for brand new scouts (never been in Cubs) differently. Bring a Friend Nights are big & some do boy talks at the middle & high schools. Why do a School Night at a grammar school when they need middle school boys? In general though, because you very seldom get an older boy who has never been in Scouts to join, Troop recruiting is done at the Webelos level.

Kaji, I think my point was missed. Quite a few of the boys were new to Cubs as Webelos, had new blue shirts, and the families purchased a second shirt in tan. That's two shirts in less than a year's time, and one of them never worn or worn only once or twice. It's certainly their choice, but the shirts are pricey to buy 2 so close together without it being necessary to do so, and families should be aware that it's a choice they make.

Part of this depends on the Pack and Troops supply of "experienced uniforms."

I know the growth I allowed for my son when I put him in a Cub blue shirt. He made it to bridging in Blue.

He shot up in his first two years as a Boy Scout; I had to place him in adult Large for height when he was 14.

Leaders have to apply empathy and understanding of family finances to the "which Class A uniform" question for a Webelo. A leader inistent on the de la Renta shirt MUST HAVE a Plan B for those who are in financial straits, especially if the current Blue shirt fits well.

My thoughts. Others will disagree, that's ok.

John in KC said "Leaders have to apply empathy and understanding of family finances to the "which Class A uniform" question for a Webelo. A leader inistent on the de la Renta shirt MUST HAVE a Plan B for those who are in financial straits, especially if the current Blue shirt fits well."

It really doesn't matter what the leader is insistent upon. Unless something has been changed just recently, the leader, Pack, Troop, District, Council has no say in if the Webelos wears Blue or Tan. That choice is strictly up to the family. So, the leader can insist all they want, but in reality they are S.O.L. (Sorry, out of Luck).

YiS

Michelle