Swine Flue at Summer camp

Update on the Camp Daniel Boone. (Just so that my numbers are current.

8 Boys have tested positive. Staff also said that they are in the process of cleaning all facilities before the next session of camp to reduce chances of infection. They are not closing camp and still expect to have another 5000 scouts come through.

One scout was quoted as saying "You always get sicks at camp" But them he added, "this time it is a little scary"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camp Daniel Boone was our first choice for camp this year. I went to reserve a spot there back in October '08 and they already completely filled for the summer. Even if they do a good job of cleaning up, I can't imagine that they won't have a drop in attendance for the remainder of the season.

Indian Waters Council, Columbia South Carolina

Boy Scouts of America

PRESS RELEASE

June 16, 2009

Health and Safety of our Campers

To keep an open line of communication and continue to provide helpful information on Scouting, this e-mail is being sent to all members of our Scouting e-mail list:

Last week, three cases of H1N1 or swine flu virus were reported at Camp Daniel Boone in North Carolina and an additional seven cases were reported yesterday (Monday) from a troop in Atlanta that attended Camp Daniel Boone last week. It appears the flu came into their camp with campers from Florida.

We would like to reassure our constituents that:

1. There have not been any cases of the swine flu virus reported among Scouts or leaders at Camp Barstow or any other programs of the Indian Waters Council, or among any of them visiting other camps.

2. Our camps are operated by certified and extremely well-trained leaders including medical professionals who are on-site at all times.

3. Our highest priority is the health and safety of our campers and good communication is extremely important to us. Therefore, we are taking the following precautionary steps, effective immediately:

* We are implementing the pre-screening of all youth and adults participating in activities conducted by the Indian Waters Council, including all activites at Camp Barstow and day camps. The medical officer or appropriate staff member will screen people as they enter camp, even for a visit, and we are asking the assistance of our unit leaders in the implementation of that screening for future campers prior to arrival.

That screening is a simple questionnaire developed by Tulane University Medical School and now used by other Boy Scout camps. Here is the questionnaire:

"Do you have any of the following symptoms?

A. Fever equal to or greater than 100 Degrees Farenheit, or feverishness

B. Nasal congestion

C. Sore throat

D. Cough

If the answer is "yes" to two or more of these questions, the camper is immediately quarantined and appropriate arrangements made (further medical attention off-site and/or parent pickup). Future campers (youth and adults coming to camp in the future) with two or more of these symptoms will be asked to stay home and seek medical attention.

* We are keeping updates of the health and safety of our campers online at www.indianwaters.org. For their information and assistance, we will also begin contacting leaders and parents of our campers attending future council activities that have not occurred yet to ask their assistance in the pre-screening process.

* Our staff is always available to answer any questions or concerns on the health and safety of our campers with the following contacts:

Scout Service Center: 803-750-9868

Overall camp programs: Stephen Davis, mobile: 803-261-6764; office: 803-750-9868 ext. 103; stdavis@bsamail.org

Scout Executive: Doug Stone: mobile: 803-269-9513 office: 803-750-9868 ext. 101; dstone@bsamail.org

Camp Barstow: 864-445-4991 (Larry Parrish, Camp Director)

The Indian Waters Council, BSA operates the highest quality Scouting programs in the very safest manner with more than 1,000 youth and adults participating this summer. Thank you for your involvement in Scouting!

Hello from Istanbul,

On the flight over I had to fill out a medical history form as part of a screening process by the Turkish government. Then, passing through immigration, they took my temperature. I passed and I didn't see anyone quarantined although from all the coughing I heard on the plane I am surprised. They have no sense of humor on this because the first two cases for their country were two Americans.

I'm lucky Turkey didn't take DeanRx's advice and close the border to U.S. citizens as a result. Anyway, I think that makes it clear that the USA is to Turkey as Mexico is to the USA. How's THAT for a comparison?!

Me, I just found the Iranian Embassy and I'm planning to join the demonstrators to protest their crooked election. I'll probably end up staying a while....OK because the food is just wonderful.

RichardB, That's a good link and a somewhat overdo reaction from BSA.

For those that haven't departed for camp yet; is it good measure to send that link out to parents? Or is it too scary for the average or slightly overly active parent?

RichardB, welcome to the forum.

That is a better standard than the Tulane/Camp Bairstow list posted by gwd scouter. By those standards I would never be allowed in camp as I frequently have congestion and that is often accompanied with a cough. Just a fact of life for me when there is pollen in the air. The fever is the key and the BSA list says fever and any of the following... rather than fever being just one of the menu items.

Hal

Just got an email from Blue Ridge Council, Camp Old Indian - the camp we're going to next week. Using the same guidelines as Camp Barstow, i.e., the congestion and cough, along with fever and others. If you have two or more, you're quarantined. Hopefully, my allergies will abate a bit before check-in or else my congestion and slight cough will keep me out.

As I have said before, we are off to Camp Woodruff Saturday morning. It is 77 miles as the crow flies from Daniel Boone. Woodruff and Daniel Boone are both popular stops for troops throughout the south looking for a change of scenery and climate. This morning, I began receiving emails from concerned parents, which I had been anticipating. Thanks to the good information posted here, I have been able to address this confidently to our parents. I expect that I will hear more about it as we stop at our medical stop as we check in on Sunday.

We will be mindful of any health issues. I have one scout (SPL) who, like Hal, is likely to cough each spring with the pollen. We may even pick up a digital thermometer just so we can try to screen our scouts. Personally, I am not concerned, but we should be prepared.

I do like my wife's attitude when I mentioned it to her yesterday. She said "I guess if you get sick I'll drive up there and bring your butts home and nurse you back to health. You can't keep them in a bubble, you know."

• 3 weeks later...

http://tinyurl.com/oyj5ol

Eagle Scouts career as doctor aids camp

Swine flu cases handled promptly with Sexsons help.

By Sharise M. Darby

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Two parts of William R. Sexsons life collided two weeks ago when the physician was confronted with cases of swine flu at a Boy Scout camp.

When three Scouts came down with the H1N1 virus last month during a visit to a Georgia camp, Sexson contributed to their care.

Sexson, Emory Universitys associate dean of clinical affairs at Grady Memorial Hospital, where he also works as a neonatologist, has maintained a connection with Scouting since his days as a Cub Scout in 1954.

As part of that connection, he is an on-call physician for local Boy Scout camps throughout the year.

Sexson, who rose to Eagle Scout, answered the call when one of the campers exhibited flulike symptoms on his troops bus ride from Florida. That Scout was immediately taken to a hospital.

Meanwhile, his troop was isolated at the campsite, where two more Scouts who had immediate contact with the boy had contracted the H1N1 virus.

Sexson spent more than 20 hours with the infected campers as a part of his duties as a volunteer with the Atlanta Area Council of Boy Scouts.

We were able to contain everything and have the situation come out just fine, said Jenna Knight, a public relations professional with the Atlanta council. That is all due to the guidance of volunteers like Dr. Sexson.

For Sexson, committing his time to the Atlanta council, one of the largest Boy Scout chapters in the country, comes naturally. His roles are many. He currently serves on the committee for Troop 18 in Atlanta, and for 10 years he has also been the acting health and safety chairman for the council.

At any given day we have 1,500 Scouts at our camps, he said. My job is to make sure that their time at summer camp is as safe and healthy as it can be.

Sexson said the time he gives to the Boy Scouts makes him happy. He believes nothing will ever diminish or replace his dedication to the Scouts.

Doing things like this for your community and for the next generation of kids that are going to be the leaders of our country in another 10 years is something that we just need to do, Sexson said. This is a lifelong commitment.

Hope this was a typo or misunderstanding:

"... for 10 years he has also been the acting health and safety chairman for the council."

You'd think after 10 years they'd take away the "acting" part, and give him the full job!

I'm guessing that is a typo. Bill is out of one of the Troops in our District. His credentials are top-shelf, so I can't imagine us wanting anyone else in that position. From what I've been able to observe, he really enjoys that job. Like most of us, he really enjoys working with the youth.

Boy, I hope they don't use those guidelines at Girl Scout camp on Sunday or DeeDee is coming home.

She has been coughing all week, complaining of a sore throat and occasional sniffle.

Could be swine flu, or it could be the fact that she has spent 4 of the last 8 days at a friends home and the friend has two smoke-in-the-house parents.

But, do I want them to take my word for it?

Update on the Scouts from Dunwoody at Daniel Boone a few weeks ago.

All boys have fully recovered. They said it was not a pleasant experience - the SM's son had the highest fever, around 102. They will now have tales to tell - the summer I got Swine Flu at camp.