Patrol Cooking vs Dining Hall

Just wondering.

I realize there are many summer camps out there. I was curious how those units who attend a summer camp that has dining halls uses the patrol method during summer camp?

The camp my unit attends - Heritage Reservation - has two Boy Scout camps - one dining hall & one patrol cooking. My unit attends the patrol cooking camp. We do this to reinforce the patrol method.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

All of the camps in our area, are mess hall type camps. Our Troop program stresses the Patrol method throughout the year. Because our summer camp programs are so diversified, we tend to let the Patrol method go at summer camp. The Scouts are on so many different schedules and programs, we allow and encourage each Scout to plan their summer camp programs.

If the need for a Patrol competition or program does come up, we let the Scouts put a Patrol together.

I will let you know, that a normal kitchen box (and all of its equipment) goes to summer camp. We do Crackerbarrels each night, and if we need to cook in the campsite for a variety of reasons, we have the stuff to do it with. It gets a bit nippy at night, and I like having a pot of coffee going.

sst3rd

My experience both as youth and now as adult leader is that the mess hall style is better for summer camp. This is because the Scouts are in so many different places and have so much going on that it is just easier on everyone to let the camp handle the main meals. As far as partol method issues are concerned, conduct some kind of special patrol activity/challenge. If you would like suggestion on patrol challenges, let me know. Also remember what works for one Troop may not work for another. Do what works for you and the Scouts generally enjoy.

InsaneScouter

http://insanescouter.com Webmaster

webmaster@insanescouter.org

insanescouter,

"My experience both as youth and now as adult leader is that the mess hall style is better for summer camp. This is because the Scouts are in so many different places and have so much going on that it is just easier on everyone to let the camp handle the main meals"

I don't agree with this statement. The Scouts should know what they need to do & when it needs to be done by! It's the same as going to a merit badge class!

I realize not all Troops are the same & some Troops view summer camp as sort of a vacation. This is all well & good but I still feel that the patrol method needs to be stressed every step of the way.

Just my opinion!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed,

The camp we attend has it both ways. They have a pioneer campsite where you bring your own tents and do your own cooking and the regular campsites. I've done both and prefer using the mess hall. Most of the Troops that use Pioneer have been doing so for a long time. There is a lot more planning and preparations. Do you bring your own food and dishes and things or are they provided by the camp?

As for the patrol method, our camp has an hour set aside for patrol activities in the afternoon for the patrols to sign up for. Things like waterfront games, scoutcraft competitions, cope activities etc. There are also patrol awards given for attendance at activities, service to camp, flag ceremonies and such.

I have attended 4 different summer camps. 3 had jamboree style cooking in the camp sites and dining hall style. One was only dining hall.

I have no problem with either method. Both provide for use of the patrol method. Both allowed plenty of time for activities. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Jambo style is excellent training for younger scouts by providing the opportunity to prepare a variety of meals. in the camps I've been to Jambo units had better meals and menus than the dining hall units.

Dining hall meals offered scouts more social time with scouts from other units. Some camps had special programs during meals that jambo troops missed out on.

I have always left it to the PLC to decide. Sometimes they picked Dining hall sometimes Jambo. It's their camp experience and since the camp offers choices why not let the scouts choose?

Bob White

I am one who fully endorses patrol method cooking at summer camp. It is the best way for a patrol to learn that they have to work together toward a common goal - getting the meal done right and on time. It is the epitome of the patrol method. And it doesn't take much time out of your day. Our scouts still pass their share of MBs and take advantage of all camp programs. If the camp plans the meals correctly, they are easy and quick to prepare and very nutritional. And what great experience for a new scout to serve as head cook and have the meal turns out delicious. I have visited numerous camps with dining hall style and was not impressed with the quality of food or the fellowship. It was get in, eat, and get out. We will stick with Patrol method. It just teaches more.

I've always preferred dining hall, because it allows the Scouts to have more time to get out and enjoy their camping experience rather than miss something due to cleanup. Even at dining hall camps, there are still tables to be waitered. A short task that allows patrols to take charge of a table for the week, setting it and cleaning it up. Still keep separate patrol campsites, and assign each patrol tasks during the day (building the fire, cleaning the latrine, etc.).

What is the old saying - Don't give a hungry man a fish - teach him how to fish. One of the high points of my summer camp experience every year is seeing a patrol fumbling and bumbling their way Monday and Tuesday at camp in meal preparation, cleanup, etc. And then seeing a well-oiled machine on Friday getting everything done on time, everyone doing their jobs. It's a great teaching tool. And if the scouts are properly trained during the year, cleanup should take no more than 15 minutes or so.

EagleWB,

The camp we attend provides all the food, cooking gear & tents.

Eagle90,

I couldn't agree with your posts more! It's amazing what the Scouts can learn cooking for themselves. Besides cooking, they learn to follow the directions. If they don't (usually) the outcome affects more than just them!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

• 1 month later...

Hi. If possible, we always go to a camp that provides for patrol cooking method. We camp year around, but summercamp is where my new guys learn to cook. Next year we're trying a new thought, which is to go to a camp that provides for both. We'll do dining hall when we arrive and get settled and again on Friday and Saturday before we leave, doing patrol cooking the remainder of the camp.

I've found that besides teaching cooking, summer camp cooking is the best way to get the concept of a duty roster and working together across to the guys.

yis, jim

• 1 month later...

Both Camps that I have attended, Camp Shenendoah (Stonewall-Jackson Area Council) and Camp Davy Crockett (Sequoyah Council) have one meal a week, both Wednesday Night Supper if I remember it correctly, that must be made in the troop campsite. And they all leave the option open for troops to make meals in their campsite as often as they want to. But I think requiring at least one meal from the troop enriches the summer cmaping experience....they eat in a dining hall at school, so they have plenty of experience there. And after Wood Badge..I have extra respect for the Patrol cooked meal...

Given a choice, either method involves tradeoffs. In a summer camp environment, where the goals of most of the Scouts are MBs, activities, and advancements, patrol cooking will take valuable time from these goals. Patrol cooking can be less expensive than dining halls, depending on the menus.

We're planning our annual "medium adventure" trip to an island 60 miles off the coast. We plan patrol cooking for this week-long event to keep the costs down, with the understanding that the prep, cooking, and cleanup take away somewhat from the time we have for activities. No choice. It is neat, though, to compare their first day efforts with how smoothly they work on the last day.

KS

• 2 months later...

Our summer camp use to have the BEST food in the dining hall, 20 years ago... For the last 5 years or so, the meals have all been heat-n-eat type meals, and there is never enough to go around. Portions are very small, food is bland, and nutritional value is questionable.

Many Troops leaders had discussed the poor food from the dining hall in the past, but we always met with the same answers: Cost, staffing, leftovers, meals are approved, meals are nutritious, blah, blah, blah.

We researched extensively and determined the average meal at our camp was costing less than $1.40 per camper, per meal.

We were tired of our boys going hungry all week, so we petitioned the Council to allow us to cook at camp last year. After much discussion, they allowed us to do so. They knocked off $40 per boy for camp fees (about $2 per meal). You can see right away our main concern on food quality and quantity was justified. Council was allotting $2.35 per meal, but only spending $1.40 per meal.

We collected the full camp price for each camper, but held back $40 per person to purchase food for the week. After all, we felt that $2.35 per meal was a fair price to start with. Our boys had cooked often as Patrols and as a Troop on other outings, so we felt confident they would be able to handle the week.

Our boys planned the meals, bought the food, prepared, cooked, and cleaned up very well after each meal. We ate four-star meals EVERY meal, with plenty of leftovers, even after seconds, and feeding the occasional visitor from another Troop. We even had three coolers full of snack-foods and bottled juice / cola on ice. We had most of our own cooking necessities; parents or local restaurants loaned others. We went $56 over budget on food costs, but none of the boys went hungry. They even voted unanimously to cook this year! With some minor menu adjustments (mostly snacks they were so full from good food, they didnt eat the junk food) we should be under budget this year.

Since no one had cooked at camp in about 30 years, we had a lot of people interested in our endeavor. Because we had food in the campsite, we had to be inspected by the camp staff twice per day, and health department twice per week. We passed with flying colors! It actually ticked off our Council because they did not feel we could do it. We provided healthy, nutritious meals at a cost of just over $2.50 per meal. Our boys impressed so many at camp last year that we have had many other Troops contact us for information on how they can do it too.

Last three years we have gone to Camp Joy near Carlyle, IL. It was one where you went to the dining hall to eat all meals. It is in the Okaw Valley Council (okawbsa.org). This year we are going to Camp Sunnen near Potosi, MO. We will cook in patrols for breakfast and dinner, but go to the pavillion for lunch each day. I cant wait.