Female Leader Shirts Tucked In

And so the Sea Scouts wearing Navy uniforms is prohibited. That should settle that problem.

I do believe that at one point, BSA was the only civilian organization that was allowed by Congress to wear active duty uniforms outside the military. The original uniform was the US Army uniform with BSA buttons and collar brass. I don't know when the change over occurred from the tunic to the undershirt as the uniform. The garrison cap, the campaign hat, the beret hats are all patterned after US military uniform cover. The BSA belt is pretty much WW II web belt with a BSA buckle. Leggings were standard with the uniform until the big hoopala of the anti-war sentiment of the late '60's and the uniform changed along with the rest of the BSA program emphasis to anti-military. How Sea Scouts got away without changing I have no idea.

Stosh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, I get it. I wear the "sucky" BSA socks, BSA pants/shorts, BSA uniform shirt with patches in the correct placement, and the BSA belt. As the Scoutmaster, I expect that the boys will look at me f

This should settle the matter.

Funny how the inspection sheets aren't scored pass/fail.

Wear it correctly, wear it often.

I agree with you, resqman, in so far as YOU should wear it correctly and set the example. Worrying about what others are doing is not worth your time. YOU should wear your uniform and set the example for the Scouts.

<>

Well, that's disgracefully sexist comment.

But it's not something I would rage on any volunteer about --- male or female.

I regret that our Cubmaster is very overweight and doesn't tuck his uniform blouse in. Looks rather slovenly I'm afraid.

But he IS wearing the uniform and he does a good job at pretty much everything else, including running the popcorn sale when no one else was willing to do so.

It's not an issue I would raise.

• Upvote 1

It's up to each of us to decide what we care enough about to make a big deal of with other people. As quazse said, which hill do you want to die on? JBlake, you can make it your mission in life to make sure all the ladies have their shirts tucked in. Not me.

It's up to each of us to decide what we care enough about to make a big deal of with other people. As quazse said' date=' which hill do you want to die on? JBlake, you can make it your mission in life to make sure all the ladies have their shirts tucked in. Not me.[/quote']

Believe it or not, I'm not a Uniform Police. I could care less what others do, I only worry about me and my boys. I see this sloppy uniforming going on all over the place and I hear adult leaders complaining about it all over. So as long as they are contributing to the whining by not doing the uniform correctly themselves, I don't sympathize with them. When asked, my answer is always the biblical quote about taking the log out one's own eye before worrying about the mote in someone else's.

I was at camporee this past weekend. Temperatures were in the 40-50's during the day and frosting over at night. The cotton uniforms of the boys were covered up with jackets, scarves and hats of every kind. Mittens and such were prevalent as well. At flag ceremony, there were piles of cloths all over the place as they shed their coats to have their uniforms on the "outside".

I did not wear a coat, scarf or mitten/glove all weekend long. I wore a scout uniform with no problem because of the weather. I had on poly socks and long underwear. Then a layer of wool long underwear and socks, then the wool pants with wool leggings, wool shirt and wool lined, wool tunic of the 1910 BSA uniform. The hat, of course, is also a wool felt. Stayed toasty warm all weekend. Lots of comments on my uniform, none of it negative.

I could have gone the modern route, poly socks, underwear, wool socks, light weight wool sweater, wool uniform shirt, jac-shirt. Not quite as effective, but it might have worked.

Working a bit to look nice is not something that people with a casual dress attitude of today consider much anymore.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

And here's how one gets into trouble. At klondike they asked me to judge one of the stations. I said what was the criteria for judging and they said anything you want. (Wrong answer!)

I judged the event and gave extra bonus for patrol flag (standard procedure), patrol yell (standard procedure) and scout uniform. (WHAT????) Under all those winter clothes one can't see it anyway. But the winners did have on their uniform and neckers under their snowmobile suits. :)

Fortunately they have never asked me to judge an event again.

Stosh