Need Neckerchief / slider Tip

How do you :

A) Keep your nechechief from going flat where its rolled up?

B) Keep the slider tight?

See, I layed mine on the counter, rolled it up all but 6" and put it on my neck (under my collar) and put the slider in place. Well,I'm not too concerened that the part of the neckerchief that goes around my neck is flat. It fits better that way. but once it goes through my slider, I'd like to have the "rolled" look, not flat.

AS for the slider, well, it fit nice and snug against the necker at first , but after time, loses it's grip. Sure, the necker being flat isn't a help at all.

So what can I do about this? Any tips I should know?

Fabric tape glued to inside necker maybe? Thin foam strips inside the rolled up part of the necker?

Any tips you give...I'm going to pass along because at least 1 of our cubs loses a slider every week. I'm surprised I haven't lost mine too!

My son had that problem as a Cub as well. Finally, I took some tape (clear duct, I think, but it could have been masking) and wrapped it around those little metal "arms" at the back of the slider; sort of girls used wrap yarn around their boyfriend's class ring to make it fit their own finger. It worked for us because it made the opening smaller, thus tighter, and the tape seemed to make the slide stop acting like it was made of tephlon.

Another thing I just recently found when looking for an older slider for my son's WWII uniform is that they were not always made that pressed out way with the two pieces of metal folding over the back. The much older ones are much tighter (it's a chore getting it on sometimes, but it doesn't move even after an entire day). Offhand, I don't know when the Cubs became a part of Scouting, but maybe you could see if you could buy your son one of the older slides like I'm talking about. It should still be valid, I would think.

Good luck

Two trick to keep the slide from coming off.

1. Use a rubber band to hold the necker together, then slide the slide to a point above the band.

2. Then pinch the metal "arms" of the slide in thus squeezing it against the necker.

With this combination, we have not lost a single slide. We are on our third Cub Scout now.

We put on the slider, then put a rubber band at the top of that, twist it once in back, then put the necker through that loop. The rubber band looks like a figure 8 in back with the top loop above the slider and the bottom loop below. You need a fairly small rubber band, and it can't be seen when adjusted properly.

We didn't have much trouble with my oldest, but the two younger ones are always pulling on the necker or chewing on it or messing with it some way. They can get one out of whack with the rubber band, but we haven't lost any.

Rubberband works, also a safety pin.

best slide I've found to work is a homemade Turk's Head Knot, aka woggle. becasue I make mine small, they don't fall off. Problem I have is that in my pack, only the second year Webelos, aka Webelos IIs, aka 5th grade Webelos wear them. The younger cubs can wear any slide they make, but those.

The woggle/slide/clasp slippage problem started when the neckers were downsized. As it happens (I checked) my original Cub neckerchief isn't all that smaller than my Scout neckerchief, which is significantly bigger than the modern N/C my son uses. The slides are the same size, however.

All the above suggestions mentioned above will work; tape on the slide back, bending the prongs, rubber band around the necker. Originally, the Scout didn't roll up the necker, only draped it around the neck, OVER the collar, and then pushed the slide/woggle (boondoggle) up on the ends of the necker, and then tied an overhand slide knot in the bottom ends. Try doing that with today's mini necker!

Ah - but National Supply has heard our cries. The standard Boy Scout neckers from the Scout Shop are now larger. There was an announcement in November:

"Design reverts back to the standard larger size offering a variety of uses, as

a sling, signal, bandage, belt, patrol ID, and more. Standard size is now 49.5

inch X 35 inch X 35 inch. Available in five solid colors featuring Universal

Emblem embroidery and stitched-edge trim in complementary color. "

We are now making our troop neckers in the same dimensions.

The boys in my troop all use a handmade Turk's Head woggle but instead of using it horizontal, they turn it a quarter turn, but the ends of the necker in each side and then tie a small square knot in the ends. With the knot it there the woggle CANNOT be removed from the necker. To date no one has lost their woggle unless they lost the necker too. :)

I got the idea for this from a photo of BP

Stosh

Neckerchiefs for world jamboree came with instructions for a "friendship knot" which I never mastered. The knot allowed you to go sans slide. The knot allowed the ends of the necker to hang straight down. I hate it when our guys tie a plain square knot in their necker so the end poke out left and right -- they look like Chef Boyardee.

I'll see if I can find a copy of the instructions. Don't bother googling -- what comes up as a friendship knot is something different.

Another part of the problem for Cub leaders and scouts is that the necker is not a full square. It is a triangle made from rather thin fabric. You do not have enough heft to keep most slides on.

While many put the rubber band around the necker, what also works is to put the band around the loop on the back of the slide. This makes the hole smaller and gives the necker a rough surface to grip.