Formal Wear - miniature medals

I noticed on Scoutstuff.org, one can now buy "centennial formal attire" such as bow ties and cummerbunds for those gala Centennial Balls that some councils may be planning (haven't heard of anything here).

It occured to me that perhaps it would be appropriate for the Eagle Scout Award (medal) and other top scouting awards to be produced in miniature form, appropriate for formal attire (not unlike military decorations which can also be worn on civilian formal wear). Any interest? I think these would also be appropriate for Eagle Scouts who attend ECOH in civilian attire.

Agree with Boyce, i haven't been to a black tie affair in years.

As for wearing Eagle award and other wards in formal attire, it is authorized.

For Eagle: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/06E.aspx

Eagle Award, silver medal suspended from scroll, No. 00135; sterling silver, No. 00112; Boy Scout. Adults wear only on formal Eagle occasions.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/10F.aspx

There are lapel pins available for many, if not all, the scouter awards. I have one for Silver Beaver, Eagle, and God and Country; I wear them at Eagle dinners and council annual meetings. As noted, there is no reason the actual Eagle cannot be worn with civilian attire, if it is appropriate for the event.

The difference is that you are not military officers you are boy scout volunteers, you guys really need to get a grip on reality for petes sake, lol. Minnature badges on formal wear omg what's next to stroke your egos?

It is VERY appropriate for adults to wear the Eagle Medal at formal occasions (COH, Council Banquets, etc).

The only time its an issue is when some wear it for NON formal occasions (meetings, roundtables, etc).

Same goes for other youth awards such as QM, Ranger (old and current), Silver (old and current), etc.

"Would it be appropriate to wear the Eagle award Silver Medal as an Adult Scouter in uniform at say an Eagle COH?"

Yes, it would, at an Eagle Court of Honor or other Eagle related event. Normally, no.

Incidentally, I wear my military miniature medals more than most because I go to Scottish dress events where they follow the British tradition, and the occasional military formal event. I don't think the cost of making miniature Scouting medals would be within reason for the numbers of people who would wear them. I can't think of any event where I would have ever worn them.

Ya got yer sterling silver Eagle lapel pin, yer sterling silver OA lapel arrow, yer sterling silver Dunamis pin (or NESA), yer God & Country lapel pin (mebbe not any more available?), and mebbe yer occasional Wood Badge totem and/or critter pin... Need a bigger lapel...

Maybe I don't get it, I've been known to confuse easily.

I wear the adult version of my Eagle award everytime I wear my uniform. It's my Eagle knot, I wear it right next to my adult version of my Arrow of Light. Come on guys, we can wear the medals too for formal times, BUT we should wear what we've earned and allow our actions to reflect the fact that the program has had an impact on our lives. Right?

I wear my medal on formal occasions for several reasons.

1) I earned it and am darn proud of it too ;)

2) It sets the example for the youth and other adults.

3) It can inspire not only the youth, but also the adults, to work and play hard in Scouting and in their lives.

"As long as you've earned it: Wear what you want, when you want."

Sorry, but there are uniform regulations.

There are some items that really should only be worn at formal occasions (ie, all the medals), and others only on civilian wear.

If you don't want to wear something, that's fine. But there are times when you really shouldn't wear some items.

emb021, point well taken, I'm well aware of the "regulations."

Uniform regulations are written by well-meaning people who are attempting to maintain a standard within an organization.

But good judgment is applicable. And in a volunteer organization, I'd say "individual expression" is an appropriate consideration ("heresy!")

In the case at hand, I'd say this is the key question: " Would the wearing of a medal, device, pin, accouterment, etc., or a combination thereof, in formal clothing, at a respectable event, bring discredit upon the Boy Scouts of America?"

If it doesn't, it becomes an internal/administrative issue of whether we are following "the book."

I've got to admit, I'm getting a chuckle out of this one...we are talking here about a couple of duly earned medals in formal wear...are we worried about uniform "clutter?" If so, we should look at our standard scout shirt, particularly adult leaders who are wearing every doo dad and gee gaw possible. The fabric of their shirt almost groans from the accumulated weight of it all! And we're sweating a medal or two in this thread?

Count me as a scofflaw on this issue!