Somthing in the air . . .

seems to be promoting widespread uniform changes and even some silliness.

Not just BSA is changing their uniform amid controversy.

The Army has announced that the green class A uniform is going away and the dress blue uniform will become the basis for all dress uniforms. That's soldiers in blue pants and white shirts.

The Navy is eliminating dungarees and has replaced them with "aquaflage," a non-camouflage camouflage blue uniform which is supposed to be better at hiding splashes of grey paint and black grease. Also 1st Class Petty Officers and below will have a new uniform consisting of a khaki shirt and black pants with a black garrison cap.

The Air Force is chaning dress uniforms again. Nearly 20 years ago, airmen complained that their uniform looked too military and that it didn't reflect the professional nature of their service. So millions of dollars were spent to roll out a new uniform that looked less military and more like aviation professionals. Now the airmen complain that their uniform doesn't look military enough so they're going back to the old uniform with the addition of belt on the jacket. Also the Air Force has adopted their own camouflage uniform. Why? Most airmen don't need to hide . . . ever. If anything, they should wear grey uniforms so they can blend into the airplanes.

The Marines? They don't change much at all. They just keep going with what works.

In fairness, the Marines did change to the "Mar-Pat" digital camouflage for the utility uniform about six (seven?)years ago which was so successful that the other services joined in with their own variations.

But I also doubt you'll see sweeping changes in the Mess Dress, Dress, Class A or B uniforms anytime, or at least anytime soon.

I can't address the other services, but here's some background on the USAF. In the early nineties, the only one complaining was Merrill "Tony" McPeak, the USAF Chief of Staff. He, BTW, is generally considered to be a few blades short of a fan by all who have worked with him. That would include yours truly. McPeak spent all those bucks redesigning the uniform to look like an airline pilot. Nobody, really nobody, liked it. When McPeak left, the first thing his successor did was to get rid of some of the sillier modifications. Still, no one was terribly excited about the uniform. So, I'm not surprised that they are changing. I saw the AF Academy Band this morning playing for Veteran's Day and they were wearing the "stand-up collar" version of the trial uniform, which I thought looked terrible. Apparently, the powers have decided to go with the "Billy Mitchell" version, which is more like the uniform looked when I joined up in 1965. Needless to say, I like that one.

As to camouflage, the USAF people do operate in hostile evironments and may as well wear that rather than the old olive green or gray. When they are in the desert they wear the "chocolate chip" desert tan. Besides, it makes them look more like real warriors. :)

In the 70's they used to spit on military personnel in uniform. Not cool to look military. Now it's come full circle and it's cool to have a military uniform. Until the public makes up it's mind, someone's going to make a mint selling uniforms. Why shouldn't BSA cash in on the fickleness of the public?

Stosh

All,

The way I understand it the main reason the AF went with the camouflage (BDUs) uniform was due to one major event. During the operations in Grenada, US soldiers guarding the airport almost opened fire on a group of Air Forces personnel because they were in the olive green uniforms and were thought to be Cubans moving in to take the airport. As a country you need your military force to be similarly dressed or friendly fire incidents will rise in number.

Mark M.

"As a country you need your military force to be similarly dressed or friendly fire incidents will rise in number."

Hmmmmm . . . Marpat, ABU, Navy 'aquaflage', ACU? None are similar except that they have American flags.

"Stargate SG-1 knows that the AF wear special services uniforms while kicking butt on all those off world missions."

And a wide variety of uniforms too. Blue, green, grey, cammo and then the guys on Atlantis wear a whole bunch of different stuff too. Or so the historical documents would indicate.

I have not seen the navy ones but the other three branches look similar from a distance! If I'm wrong it will change when a couple of people get killed because of it. You have to love the US military they always have to keep relearning stuff over and over again.

Computer operators in Dayton, Ohio are not in a hostile environment Well, you can never be sure. Depends on their bosses. :)

As I indicated above, the service determined one "fatigue" type uniform, with the exception of desert wear, that everyone can wear. I wasn't in a hostile environment doing research at the AF Historical Agency in Alabama, but it was dusty in the stacks and I wore BDU's, which was the standard in those days. It's just a matter of common sense, I think, that each service have a uniform that can be worn in the field and for other grungy work rather than different ones. I just don't see the issue, I guess.

I noted when I was in Hawai'i, that the Army medical staff at Tripler Hospital frequently wore their camouflage uniforms and I'm sure they were seldom under fire there.

I work at a Navy command as a civilian, and the new uniform has started appearing as people transfer in (it's being phased in at selected locations). The new "camo" uniform is similar to the Army's, but in shades of digital blue and gray. The first thing I thought of was if the poor boy falls overboard he will be invisible. The working uniform is now khaki shirt and black pants for all E-1 thru E-6...you can't tell who's who unless you get really close and inspect the small collar devices. The Service Dress uniform for them remains unchanged ("cracker jacks")...CPO's, WO's and O's wear to khaki pants. They've also brought back "Service Dress Khaki"...the WWII style khaki coat with shoulder boards that you see in the old John Wayne movies. Around here, most wear "working khaki" (khaki shirt and pants w/ribbons) year round.