Class "A" Question

Let me adjust my new asbestos suit (because someone's gonna flame me here!)

B-P outfitted the scouts in military style field wear, why? - it was the most durable/readily available clothing that was actually designed for the outdoors at the time, and allowed a (here comes the word) "uniform" appearance. He taught close order drill (marching to the non-military types) as a "method" of working together, A lot of the things he taught were based on military training, did that make the scouts a paramilitary organization? NO! and this still holds true today. So does this mean we can't use military terms such as "class A or B uniform" why not? as long as we're not sending "our" patrols out on combat missions we should be able to borrow anything that helps us from anywhere! whether it be uniforms, training techniques, terminology.

So ends my rant.....bring on the flamethrowers and WMD's!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the objection to the terms "class A" or "class B" has anything to do with a military connotation. It's because there is no standard definition; every troop has its own peculiar definition of "class A/B". One cannot look in the Handbook to find out what is meant by those terms.

I don't think the objection to the terms "class A" or "class B" has anything to do with a military connotation. It's because there is no standard definition; every troop has its own peculiar definition of "class A/B". One cannot look in the Handbook to find out what is meant by those terms.

That's okay the scout can look up the terminology in the troop by laws.

:0

Edited trying to find the correct smiley face for sarcasm.(This message has been edited by dan)

I am not paranoid, I sometimes wonder when the black helicopters are coming to take me away but I am not paranoid.

I have been called a UP on this forum before.

I have pointed out to some scouts when they are wearing the uniform incorrectly.

I have been "attacked" in person by a UP, he pointed out that my patches where not on my uniform perfectly. He went on for about 5 minutes I glanced down at his blue jeans made that face that I make and walked away.(This message has been edited by dan)

ElyriaLeader,

Will respectfully disagree with you that B-P used close order drill as a method. If you read his writings, or even a compedium of his writings, such as Footsteps of the Founder you will see he fundamentally disagreed with close-order drill as a Scouting tool.

Close-order drill has a specific purpose in the military training lexicon: It's a tool to enhance immediate, unquestioning, absolute obedience to a set of commands. B-P, as a Cavalryman, used the model of a cavalry scout: Someone who operates independently in small units, thinks for himself/itself, and dynamically learns and grows.

Dan I love how you described your encounter with the UP!!! :) I nominate that unknown Scouter for the "Hoist on his own petard" annual award... the next step after that is a DARWIN! :)

In our troop I guess we don't use the terminology of "Class A" or "Class B". It's either you're in uniform or you're not. There are certain things one must be in uniform and other times it's not necessary. When traveling it is in uniform, at all meals, at formal ceremonies, for flags, and any other occasion where looking like a scout is important. If a scout does not show up in uniform for a meeting he is not counted as in attendance. He cannot have a BOR or receive awards without being in uniform.

This seems a little harsh, but every boy knows the routine, and if they wish to participate those are the expectations. If they choose not to fulfill their responsibility to the group, then they have the option to make choices based on what they want at the time.

If I don't show up for work properly dressed according to my company's dress code, I will be sent home until I decide to comply. I don't see why scout policies shouldn't reflect the real world. They can't wear just anything at school either, so they are familiar with the routine and consequences of not following along.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

What I even find my intriguing is that this UP is Wood Badge Trained and was a Wood Badge Staffer and the head advisor for OA. So its not like he does not have the complete uniform. We where not out in the woods either we where in a church.

Oh well you can lead a horse to water but than you have to stop beating the horse that kiced the bucket.

I try not to use the terms Class A, Class B or dress when describing the uniform. I try to stick with field and activity. Why? Well, as a Scouter, I guess I took my responsibility to deliver the program I said I would deliver on the BSA application.

I don't like to hold a Scoutmaster Conference during a troop meeting or immediately before or after troop meeting. That irks parents. I love to give them on outings and during other days of the week. When I hold one in a public place (i.e. coffee shop for example) sometimes I'll wear my uniform and sometimes not (depending if I coming from work or from home). Some of the younger scouts show up in uniform and I lavish praise on them! Most (99%) of the older scouts would not wear their uniform in public. It leads to an interesting topic for discussion during the SM conference.

Now, when we backpacked in New Mexico this summer and camped in Michigan in the winter I tell the boys to bring along their field uniform for travel (on airplane, bus, car, etc.) but it is not required during the outing because it is not practical. I do like the switchback pants!