BS Leaders wearing Cub Scout Leader Knots

Yah, thanks for the update SR540! I wasn't aware of the changes to "cut down the load." Not sure what I think about that. (Maybe a topic for a new thread!).

If one were to follow your reasoning, it makes one wonder why the BSA even has the Eagle Scout knot, Youth religious award Knot and the Arrow of Light knot.

Yah, sorry there for "knot" bein' clear. I think there's plenty of good reasons to wear the AOL knot if you're a cub scouter, or the Eagle knot if you're a Boy Scouter (etc.). I'd encourage that, and I'm glad those are available. Those are knots from your program area, and it helps the boys see connections between youth and adult service, gives yeh another way of encouraging 'em, etc.

What's a bit odd is wearing an AOL knot as a Venturing Advisor, for example. Something out of your program area that the kids you're working with can't earn, and that ain't really meaningful to your work with a crew.

I do think sometimes it's a bit odd for an adult to wear a youth religious award knot if there's an adult award available for the denomination. Seems like the adult should set the good example of earnin' the adult award for the adult uniform (then add the pips if desired).

Scouter's choice. Just be sure you're doin' it for the kids.

So here is a poll question. How many knots do you currently have? How many of those you have earned do you wear?

Eleven. WB tan shirt (none). Venturing green shirt (2). Regular tan shirt (3). I'm only a commish for one pack (and dat's recent), so I don't have a cub shirt.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure how Religious Awards for other Faiths are determined, I only know the process for Roman Catholic and the Moravians and these require a Scouter to be nominated, its not something a Scouter can "earn" as in do X, Y, and Z. I think the scouter should wear a youth religious knot if he earned it as a youth as an example to the youth and should wear the adult knot if he is recognized by his peers as being deserving.

As I earned the Arrow of Light as a Cub, I wear that knot along with the Eagle Scout knot and the religious knot I earned as a Scout. I guess I could wear a Cub device and a Boy Scout device as I earned both the Parvuli Dei and the Ad Altare Dei but I eschew that

I was nominated and received the Bishop's Award due to a fellow scouter's persistance so I wear that knot with the same pride as the District Award of Merit for which I was nominated by another fellow scouter. I also wear the Council Venturing Leadership Award knot as I was nominated for this honor by the youth members of the Crew, I wear it because if they wanted me to have this recognition, I feel I need to display what they did for me. Awhile back the Scoutmaster wanted to push the Boy Scout Training Knot, I put togehter a data base of what the adults in the troop had done and we got 6 awarded, of which I was one so I have 7 knots in total, all of which I wear on all uniforms.

Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting and Venturing are different levels of one Scouting program. Wearing awards for one level on the uniform of another is not only authorized, but in my opinion should be encouraged. There seem to be disconnects between these program levels by folks who simply do not comprehend the gestalt of the Scouting program. Proudly displaying awards in this manner is a simple way of showing that connection.

For youth, we allow certain awards from one level to be worn on the uniform of the next level, (Arrow of Light on the Boy Scout uniform, Boy Scout rank on the Venturing uniform) but we do not allow awards from the higher-age level to be worn on lower-age levels. Adults transcend these age levels- there are many of us who work in the various program sections.

Ed

I'm going to add a little to what OGE stated about the adult religious emblem award for the Roman Catholic faith. There are two religious emblems, the Bronze Pelican and the St. George. The Bronze Pelican is awarded at the Diocese level and the St. George is awarded at the National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS) level. The square knot is only supposed to be worn by those honored with the St. George emblem. The guidelines are about 4-5 years service for the Bronze Pelican and 10-15 years for the St. George. I liken them to the District Award of Merit and the Silver Beaver respectively. For a RC scouter, it is fairly rare and quite an honor to receive the St. George emblem.

OGE, you should wear the Webelos device for the Parvuli Dei, the Cub Scout device is for the Light of Christ.

As for me, I have earned three knots, all for Cub Scoutering: Den Leader Award, Webelos Den Leader Award, and the Cub Scouter Award. I have all three knots on all three of my uniform shirts.

SWScouter

I have seen some Scouters in my district with 3-4 rows of knots and admit it does look a bit overdone. But, if they earned them and they want to display them, that's their prerogative.

I have six knots and wear them all: Den Leader, Webelos Den Leader, and Cubmaster Training Awards, District Award of Merit, Silver Beaver, and most recently received Scoutmaster Training Award.

I have 13 knots, I wear them all. As a unit commisioner and council trainer, I feel it gives me credibility and makes new scouters aware of their existance (knot earning programs for their particular registration). Plus, I am proud of my scouting accomplishments that the good Lord has seen fit to bestow upon me, and wouldn't take any of it back. If people want to accuse me of boasting, fine, their are people out there who will always find something to criticize you for. A also respect fellow scouters who choose not to wear their knots, it is after all their choice.

Having gone thru the 5 years with my son starting as Tiger den leader and stayed with it, I took a break the first year of Webelos to be CM, and did both the last year. The unit commissioner I had for the Bear year suggested that the only award that should mean anything is the one someone else nominates you for. I know that's old school, but I never filled out any form for CS awards, before or after that. Then when I went with my son to the troop, I ended up receiving the DAM. I figured that was for all the good things I was still going to do, because I didn't think I deserved it, not with the people I was in there with. Now it's all different, the DE who recommended me for it has moved on, and I'm running units for my son and daughter, and they asked me to run one more day camp this summer. I submitted for the WDB new unit award for starting her crew, and would love the SM AoM and the Advisor AoM to go with them, but that's all.... just those 4, I promise.(This message has been edited by kahits)

I have three knots and my Cubmaster has turned my fourth one in for approval. The knots are for AOL, Youth Religious (Parvuli Dei and the Ad Altare Dei), Eagle and the fourth one will be CS Den Leader award. I do not wear any of them but take more pride in wearing the service stars that show 14 years of scouting.

Mark Maranto(This message has been edited by hendrickms24)

On my WB course upcoming, our staff will be wearing our uniforms that denote our current association with Scouting. We're asked to keep our knot collection to 3 rows maximum. Most of the staff are way beyond 9 knots total, but 3 rows seems to be the most popular cutoff point in uniforming.

I had two knots when I was a CM, Eagle and the Training Award I was given after I attended a week long Philmont course in the 80's. Cub Scouts always wanted to know about that red, white and blue knot. And I was never afraid to tell them out it.

IMHO knots serve several purposes. They're recognition for all of the good works we do as adult Scouters, and they show our level of commitment as a youth, too (Eagle knot, AoL knot, Religious Award). They add credibility to a trainer in short order and they convey a sense of knowledge and competency. They also spark conversation between adults or with youth. Just like all the rest of you, I look for opportunities to discuss, debate, and reminisce my years in Scouting.

kahits, fyi you can still apply for the Cub Scouters awards you are entitled to. My Cub Scouter and Cub Master knots help tie me to the Cub Scouting program. When I speak at Cub Pack meetings, it helps with my credibility in that I've been in that position and understand that point of view.

I have 7 knots currently, wear 6, and am working on one more, the Scoutmasters Key (my dad earned his, it's my turn).

• 6 months later...

I have 5 knots and wear them all.

Arrow of Light

Eagle Scout

Tiger Den Leader Award

Cubmaster Award

District Award of Merit.

While I think people should wear as many earned knots as they feel comfortable with, I think 2-3 rows is the most one should wear for simple astetics.

I have my Panamanian General shirt - 100% cotton, Jambo CSP, OA flap, service starts, District Award of Merit, Webelos Den Leader, Den Leader, Tiger Den Leader, Scoutmaster Award of Merit, Scouter's Key and Scouter's Training. I also wear my medals, Woodbadge beads, etc. I wear this on rare occasions and never a medal that is represented by a knot. I want to wear my

Eagle dad and Eagle mentor pins too but have refrained. :-(

When serving as a Unit Commissioner, I wear all of my "knots" but no other "awards." Same goes when serving as a Scoutmaster and interfacing with Cubs (Blue & Golds, cross-overs, outings, etc.). The Cubs sometimes ask what they are for and I enjoy telling them I used to be a den leader. I also have my "plain" shirt for most occasions.

Just like the services, there are times to wear our dress uniform and other times just our BDUs.

I get a kick of the boys who recently received the Gettysburg Historic Trails Medal after our trip there this fall. They are so proud of it and wear it to campouts! I think that it is great but just be careful not to lose it!

I think it shows the boys something when we show that we are proud to wear our uniform no matter how plain or gaudy. I don't have a problem with those who wear rows and rows of knots as long as they wear the uniform correctly.

I have 2 Leader Knots on my uniform. They are my Eagle Rank and Arrow of Light Award. I have only been an adult leader for 2 years and am working on finishing my adult leader training.

I think something to keep in mind when discussing this is what the Scoutmaster Handbook makes point to and that is a Scoutmaster that keeps his uniform simple is never found to be in bad taste.

Bad taste? Wouldn't that be plaid pants with white shoes?

I wear my service stars from youth and adult years. OA Flap. My few knots. and a temporary patch.

If BSA thinks that their insignia might be in bad taste then they shouldn't authorize them.

Of course, since I'm not a Scoutmaster I can be in bad taste :-)