Non-OA pocket flap patch?

The patches given out to participants in this year's Council Chuck Wagon Derby are shaped like a pocket flap.

Not being a member of the OA, I asked the person who ran the derby and handed out the patches if it was ok to wear them on the right pocket flap (keep in mind that these are Cub Scouts, so none of the boys are going to have OA pocket flap patches). I was told yes. So I was going to put mine and my sons' patches on the right-hand pocket flap. Also my older son, who is a Boy Scout but not an OA member, got one that says "Scout Buddy" as a sibling participate, and I was thinking of putting it on his shirt.

But then I mentioned it to someone at the troop, and they said that the only patches allowed on the right-hand pocket flap are the OA patches. If we wanted to put the derby patches on as a temporary patch, it would have to be on the right-hand pocket itself. Now, I think personally think it would look kinda dumb to put a flap shaped patch on the pocket. So if putting them on the flap is going to be a no-no, I'll probably just put them on their vests instead. Not sure what I'll do with mine, since I don't have a vest (yet).

Anyone ever heard about this before?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OA flap isn't the only patch allowed on that flap. The National Pack Summertime award is also a flap for the right pocket so some patches can be worn there. I'd personally think it in bad taste to make a temporary patch for the right pocket flap since some of the leaders who were there might be OA members. I know the OA doesn't like having other patches on that flap for obvious reasons.

Will

"I'd personally think it in bad taste to make a temporary patch for the right pocket flap since some of the leaders who were there might be OA members."

Have to agree. Whoever decided to make the patches that way (and whoever allowed it) weren't thinking too well.

The right pocket flap is pretty much 'reserved' for the OA flap (for good reason). National Pack Summertime award also goes there, but since a Cub Scout would not be able to wear an OA flap, there really isn't a conflict. An event patch needs to be worn ON the right pocket, and should be shaped to do so. Odd shaped patches are find, so long as it goes on the pocket.

For Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers, and Scouters, members of the OA may wear their lodge's pocket flap patch on their right pocket flap. That is the only patch allowed on the right pocket flap.

For Cub Scouts a new award was created a couple of years ago. This award is the Outdoor Activity Award, it is not the summertime pack award. The patch for this award is shaped like a pocket flap and is meant to be worn on a Cub Scout's right pocket flap. As far as I know, at this time, it is the only patch that a Cub Scout may wear on his right pocket flap.

SWScouter

OGE, if it is, what can I do to "patch" things up?

[insert groan here] ;)

Anyway, thanks everyone, for clearing that up for me. Guess these patches will go on the boys' patch vests after all. Guess it's time for me to get one, too.

Actually, I never really thought of the Whittlin' Chit/Chip (and other Chit/Chip patches) as a flap patch, because it's a different size. It's too tall to fit on a shirt flap.

But these Chuck Wagon Derby patches are the exact same size as the OA patches (and the OAA patch).

"What about the skill patches:

whittle & chip

tote & chip

Don't they go on a pocket flap? "

No.

Despite their shape, they should go on the pocket. they are temporary insignia.

I'm willing to accept the dictate that the Tot'n Chip, although shaped like a pocket flap, and although it isn't really temporary, doesn't go on the pocket flap. But can anybody explain WHY it's shaped like a pocket flap? Is it a vestigial remnant of some past time when it DID go on the pocket flap?

In my neverending thirst for knowledge, I Googled "Tot'n Chip" and "pocket flap" and found an opinion on another board (from 1998) that the Tot'n Chip patch is unofficial, and thus is no more than a temporary patch--the actual "Tot'n Chip" is the card, according to this. I then looked at ScoutStuff.org--BSA's supply site. They sell a Tot'n Chip patch, but the listing includes the following: "Note: This emblem is not for uniform wear." Hmmmm....