Campaign hat on a Boy Scout?

I've always loved the campaign hat. Still have one, although I haven't worn it in years. I don't think I'd ever try to get a whole troop of kids to wear it though.

Otherwise:

1-With all due respect, it's pretty silly, IMHO, to suggest that leaders should resign before allowing some deviations in uniforming. The troop in question here is obviously a REAL Scout troop and the stuff they wear has some historical significance. Ribbons were worn by early Scouts for various awards, rather than square knots. Those old troop badges used to be very common and I'm sure their other stuff has historical significance. They look good and do real scouting which is more important to me than whether they are following the insignia guide.

2-Speaking of which, the latest insignia guide does plainly say that the first class insignia, and only that one, is to be worn only by boys on the hat and the universal hat badge by adults. (Not, obviously, that I much care.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the early 60's the scouts for troop 17 also wore as an "activity uniform" while at Summer camp (Irondale) cut-off bluejean shorts, white T-shirts , with sleeves rolled up, and a flatened campaign hat called a "baker hat". They also did white glove tent inspections of the Baker style tents (including footlockers, etc) we slept in and marched into morning and evening flag ceremony in files from tallest to shortest scouts. Impressive?, yes. 100% scouting-no.

If you, as a leader decide that you don't have to abide by the uniform rules, then what other rules do you decide to not abide by? YPT, Advancement,

G2SS? Where do you draw the line.

Do all my boys have complete uniforms. NO/

Do I give them a hard time. NO. some simply can't afford the entire uniform. But when we do Uniform Inspections, I do not give them credit for having "the entire uniform".

I keep an eye out at resale shops and year sales for uniform pants and shorts. Any time I find any I buy them and it doesn't matter what size they are. I recently found 4 pair of pants and shorts at a yard sale for $2.00 each. Even though they are 18s I got all of them. At some point I will have a boy they will fit.

I do expect their patches and such to be properly attached to their uniform shirts though. I do have one boy that uses a button-neer to attach his rank patches. But you sure can't tell.

• 5 years later...

Actually the "Smokey Bear" is still produced, and still authorized for wear. Problem with most scouts is that it is cost prohibited, $94.99 for an official one.

What I find interesting is that the Expedition hat, now called the Brimmed hat, which is authorized for uniform wear, as well as all the replacement parts for the Smokey Bear and the Sea Scout Leader hatband are now in the apparel category, not uniform category.

As much as I love my Smokey Bears, I have two of them that I've been awarded by a previous council, I admit there is a time and a place for them. Kickball with Cub Scouts at a pack summer time activity is not the time or place ;)

"Problem with most scouts is that it is cost prohibited, $94.99 for an official one."

The cost is not prohibited, it is relevant.

These same boys/parents don't bat an eye at dropping that kind of money on a pair of shoes for their boys. $94.99 is on the cheap side for some of these shoes.

What it comes down to is priorities. There's only so much money in each family and one can't be spending $94.99 on a hat when they have to save up for a $200 cell phone or iPad.

The cost is not a problem, it's only an excuse.

Stosh

If what you describe is the case, then I agree, it's about priorities.

Gotta remember, most of the time I'm reflecting upon my own experiences growing up. Thrift stores, hand me downs, etc were the norm for me. Only "new" stuff would be stuff for school, i.e. maybe 2 uniforms if needed and books. Unless it was surplus bought for Scouts.

That said, it was an unspoken rule, tradition, whatever you want to call it,that the only folks in my council who wore campaign covers were those who completed WB and those who completed BA22 and JLTC. Once folks got their beads, they usually got their smokey bears. With the BA22 and JLTC, you were awarded your GI surplus smokey bear upon completion of the course.

Still have my BA22 hat with BB gun holes (I know why Germany lost WWII ;) ), and the one they gave top staff for JLTC.(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

Wow, this an old thread that was dredged up isn't it! LOL

I have to say that I agree though, the campaign hat is a unique and recognizable item that does look sharp and has a place. The funny part is I have worn one since I became a leader. It was not about the looks for me though, it was about the fact that I tend to be "frugal" and already had one. I do not generally wear any kind of hat but when I became a Cub Leader I needed one to set the example and on the top shelf in the back of my closet I had an old DI hat waiting for the moths to take it over. I was new and did not know about "official uniforms" and such, it was the right color and still fit my fat head so I wore it. The kids in my Den and Pack loved it and it became just a part of "us". I eventually wore it out and started wearing various BSA hats that I had acquired and the kids were really upset. It came to a head at a B&G when a boy asked me why I didn't wear my full uniform anymore! I asked he what he meant because I was prim and proper and he said I was missing my hat! That week I went to the Scout shop and bought another "correct" hat for my boys. I wear it to all special occassions and both of my sons also now have campaign hats and wear them with pride.

One final note that was never mentioned in the original posts is that hats are not covered under the BSA "once a uniform, always a uniform" credo for Troops. Troops choose which hats they use and if a Troop has not approved the campaign hat it should not be worn by anybody in that unit. I doubt this would ever be a big issue as the PLC could be petitioned to make a change if it does not recognize them but just showing up in one without checking could be considered innapropriate.

Keep it in mind that today's BSA personnel are very particular about their flat brimmed campaign hats. Remember the shape of one's head forces the hat brim to change regardless of all the ironing and/or hat presses used.

The only alternative to that would be a hat that is difficult and/or painful to wear for any length of time. A round hat on an oval head will create pressure points in front and back and gap at the sides.

The hat comes with a certain shape, all the way from round to long oval. Depending on one's head shape it will distort the brim when worn. For example, assume the had is perfectly round and one's head is oval. Take the hat and stretch the inside front to back and the front and back of the brim will lower while the sides rise. It's going to take quite a bit of time and moisture to change that. Once one removes the hat if it doesn't resume it's original shape, the brim will remain somewhat distorted. Once pressed, it should return to the true round it started with.

If you look at the historic pictures of scouts and Rockwell paintings, none of the hats depicted show a flat brim. Unless one takes the hat to a professional hatter and has the oval set exactly to the shape of the head, the brim will never lay flat. That adds a bit to the cost of the hat and inconvenience of finding someone to professional fit the hat.

I wear my hat with bent brim, it adds character and a personal touch to the hat. It also shades my face and neck better as well.

I'm sure the pictures of the police and military who sport flat brims have had their hats professionally shaped.

And don't even get me going on the diaper covers some scouters put over the hat when it rains!

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

Stosh,

Two words for you: HAT PRESS ;)

Seriously though, my second smokey, the JLTC staff one, is kept in a hat press when not in use and you'd be surprised at how it's kept its flat brim. That and It is worn on special occasions.

Now my first one, the BA22 one, wwwwweeeeeelllllll that's a different story. It's been well used, surviving pouring down rain of the outer bands of a hurricane the first day I got it (yep we were in a hurry to finish closing ceremony and head home, but didn't make it), surviving Germans on the rifle range (don't ask, I was lucky, the hat wasn't), and surviving my two sons and myself in a 2 man Eureka. It's several different colors, has holes in, bent brim, etc etc.

"Anybody who ignores BSA policy, procedures or guidelines (and the Insignia Guide certainly qualifies as an official statement of BSA policies) is running their own Scouting program -- not the BSA Scouting program.

Everyone who signed an adult application pledged to abide by BSA rules and regulations -- if you can't do that (and you're not one of those whose signature means nothing), then you should do the honorable thing and resign."

Although the scout shirt, and placement of insignia upon it, is regulated by national council, the CO has control over everything else ... hats included. I recall in the 70's our co approved straw cowboy hads as the units uniform hat.

Alas, the famous campaign hat has gone the way of the full-size neckerchief....

Once upon a time, both the hat and neckerchief were practical, affordable, universally worn items.

Neckerchiefs were worn loosely around the neck...campaign hats were bent, dusty, encrusted with sweat, and generally became unique to each wearer.

Then the "palace guard" effect happened somewhere. To look super-sharp, it became necessary to obsessively roll up neckerchiefs to perfection. This was a problem because comfy full size ones didn't roll quite right, so the neckerchiefs were redesigned to aid the perfect roll. However, they lost functionality--which was their primary purpose.

Campaign hats--somewhere along the line, a flat brim and freshly brushed appearance was more important than wearing it on the trail and keeping the sun off your head. They got more expensive, and became less popular.

Style over substance, form over functionality...we collectively lost two really good uniform items.

If a troop wants to vote for wearing campaign hats, I applaude them. Surplus stocks of non-BSA hats are still out there.

I like the campaign hat. I'm okay with the outback-type hat as a cost-effective alternative. I'm not too keen on the boonie hat as it is a bit too militaristic. I do not like ball caps, garrison caps or berets as they lead to red, flaking ears.

(This message has been edited by sherminator505)