sewing patches on pockets

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is how I get patches sewn on uniform shirts. "Son, I'll get the needle and thread for you."   It really is that simple.

Sew it on by hand. It's not exactly a piece of cake, but it can be done so the finished job looks good and the pocket is still a pocket.

This may be sacrilegious but I use a professional tailor! I don't have rank badges anymore but temporary insignia on the right pocket. It's the same principle.   My tailor will do this: "take the

I sew by hand, and for pockets, I place a piece of heavy paper in the pocket to help keep stray stitches from going through the pocket. Using a matching thread (BSA has a sewing kit w/the perfect colors) or clear nylon thread keeps the insignia looking nice--the thread is barely noticed. It just takes a little extra effort and a thimble :)(This message has been edited by Laurie)

I consulted with Auntguinea on this one. She suggested the hand method, of course. However, she said that after pinning the patch on the pocket (being careful not to pin through the shirt) take your needle and slide it through the loops on the back of the patch. Don't even attempt to push through the plastic backing. Then, make a loop, prick the pocket, and slide through the next loop, four or five up. Go around the patch in this manner, going contrary to your instincts. If you're right handed, go around to the left. If you're left handed, go around to the right. She informs me this is called applique. Keep your wrong hand inside the pocket and be careful not to knick it.

The other choice, if you insist on using a machine and want to keep the pocket a pocket -- take the pocket off the shirt, carefully, sew the patch on with the machine, and then sew the patch back on the shirt. Use pins to put things into the proper place.

Simple, eh?

Unc.

This may be sacrilegious but I use a professional tailor! I don't have rank badges anymore but temporary insignia on the right pocket. It's the same principle.

My tailor will do this: "take the pocket off the shirt, carefully, sew the patch on with the machine, and then sew the patch back on the shirt." All for five (5) bucks! She will sew on any other patch, strip, etc. for one (1) dollar each! The work is perfect. She loves Scouts; also she buys a lot of popcorn! What a deal!

mich632, maybe you could find a professional tailor in your area?

• Upvote 1

Most of my difficulty in this is keeping the patch in place while doing the sewing. I use the water-soluble fabric glue to hold the patch. After the glue is dry, I sew it by hand using the kind of stitch (forget what it's called) where the thread doesn't actually penetrate through to the front of the patch but rather just goes through the pocket fabric and the back of the patch. Then the next wash removes the glue. The inside of the pocket looks a tangled mess but the outside is pristine.

When I was a Scout, my mom taught me how to sew. Getting home after a Pack mtg or Court of Honor, I would stay up late sewing that new patch on then hang the shirt on the doorknob so it would be the first thing I would see in the morning. Maybe I was just abnormally gung-ho, but the scouts in the troop in which I currently serve don't seem to care...most rank patches never make it on the shirt...the pin stays on until it falls off in the wash or until the next rank is earned...usually in the wrong position. One inventive scout uses Velcro...doesn;t look as good, but at least we know what rank he is.

• Downvote 1

Packsaddle: I've had mixed success with those glues; some are more permanent than others - may or may not matter depending. I've got the same problem trying to get the patch to stay in place and some come out a bit slanted... Now I use hat pins (the big enameled ones that you get from Summer Camp) to hold things together for sewing and that works well unless you forget to remove them when you're done(!)

Packsaddle: I've had mixed success with those glues; some are more permanent than others - may or may not matter depending. I've got the same problem trying to get the patch to stay in place and some come out a bit slanted... Now I use hat pins (the big enameled ones that you get from Summer Camp) to hold things together for sewing and that works well unless you forget to remove them when you're done(!)

I use the tape method. I tape the patch on then sew through the tape and then pull the tape off. Simple but effective. I think I even saw this posted here somewhere else so I must not be the only one.

I sew it with the pocket still attached and just try not to sew it to my finger.

Cajun

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree about the ten stitches to the inch and the buttonhole stitch.

I caught Her Who Must be Obeyed only using nine to the inch and using a running stitch. As you can imagine I was shocked in fact I was flabbergasted!! I can't remember when flabber was so gasted.

I remembered that a Scout is Brave. So I said "Oh love of my life, my sweetest, you need ten stitches to the inch and you know the buttonhole stitch would work so much better."

You know there is a knack to how the hospital staff make them beds.

(Sorry Voyageur something came over me)

Eamonn.

Come to think of it. Which Rank Patch goes on a pocket?(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

• Downvote 1