OGE wondered why Scout shops dont offer a "patching" service. Our local shop refers people to a individual that will do that work for a fee. Some people are thrilled. Personally, it is appalling to me at the number of parents, moms included, that don't have a clue about how to work a needle and thread. I've toyed with the idea of teaching our boys how to do basic repairs such as sewing on patches, or sewing on a button. This seems like such a basic skill. I personally do all my own patches, and have taught my son how to do his. Dare I suggest there be a 1st Class requirement to "sew a button, patch, or seam"?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I hear parents complain about sewing patches on the uniform, I tell them to teach their sons how to sew. My mom sewed my patches on in Cubs and when I started Scouts. While getting ready to go to summer camp, I needed a couple of patches sewn on my uniform. When I complained that she hadn't done it yet, she handed me a needle and thread and told me to have fun. She hasn't sewn a patch on for me since I was 13. The same thing happened when I came home from my first campout and told my mom she needed to do my laundry right away because I needed my uniform for our troop meeting the next night. She took five minutes and showed me how to use the washing machine. She didn't do my campout laundry again after that. I think it was great for her to teach me those things so I would become more independent. I wish more of the moms in my troop would do the same for their sons.

Dare I suggest there be a 1st Class requirement to "sew a button, patch, or seam"? I would suggest the requirement be for the rank of Scout. Another would be a tailor merit badgeI concur, in fact I actually checked several months ago to see if one existed and was disappointed to find that there is only a textiles badge. Coincidentally, this happens to be a subject I can lend some expertise to, I recently retired actually sold my interest in an apparel and professional uniform company that mainly supplied national airlines with their pilot uniforms as well as a being a fine mens (high end) retailer. Our tailor shop sewed a lot of emblems and badges as well as any needed alterations to the coats and slacks. UPS, Southwest Airlines, Continental Airlines and many others were some of our accounts. As a side note, I know many have complained about our uniforms and their suitability for hiking, camping and other active activities (via camo thread) and I would agree they are not ideal for these uses. The reason being is that our uniforms are made from woven fabric rather than knits which IMHO are the perfect fabrics for out door activities. I will say, however, our dress shirt fabric is grade A for durability, washability and permanent press (somebody was on the ball when they made the contract for these piece goods), too bad they have to have such a high amount of synthetic. As to the fit of our shorts, I believe the problem lies in the rise and seat measurement; those that have crotch creep need a longer rise and a smaller seat circumference, which is impossible to alter for lack of seam outlet. Anyway, thats my opinion and Im sticking to it.

Oops, I was so into myself, I didnt address the subject at hand. Yes, the Scout, not the rank, should be responsible for all of their own sewing; its part of the gig. For patches, I recommend using a whipstitch sewn not too taught with the needle insertions under the edge of the surging around the patch. For removal, use a razor blade and a pair of reading glasses found at every drug store, whether you need them or not and a higher strength if you do, and take care not to nick the surged edge of the patch.

Tiger Cub Scouts (first graders) now have an achievement of sewing a button on a piece of fabric. Maybe we are headed in the right direction.

A long time ago weavers were men, they wove fishing nets.

I make quilts, many men have found they are good at quilt design and quilt making. Quilt design and making requires understanding geometry and measurements. Some men compare it to building a house.

Might be worth digging into Backpacker magazine article archives from earlier this year - seem to recall a pretty good section on types of stitch and when to use what, some information on materials and tools, and most importantly some good clear graphics that really get the concept across.

Try their website...

Might try simulated suturing on slices of roast beef or maybe a pork chop to really lock in a similar lesson and remove some of the prissy side of sewing?

When I was in about 7th grade, my mom, an excellent seamstress, taught me how to use the sewing machine to make simple gear for my GIJoe. Shortly after that I began sewing on all my Scouting patches, and making repairs. I even did all my patches on my military uniforms. I've offered to sew patches for Scouts in the troop. Some boys' uniforms look like they sewed everything thenselves, which is great! Others have showed up with patches stapled on, pinned on, taped on, and (horrors) ironed on. It's amazing the number of people who think the plastic backing on patches is an iron-on adhesive. When that stuff is ironed into the fabric, it WILL NOT come out. Even "Wonder Under" doesn't always come off.

I whole-heartedly agree that boys need to have at least a fundamental sewing ability.

A tip to sewing patches on uniforms.

Use Elmer's School Glue (the kind that will wash out of clothing) to glue the patches in place. Place the uniform with the patch glued in place under several heavy books, let it set until the glue is almost dry, sew the patch in place, then wash the shirt right away. The glue washes out with no trace, and the patch is where it belongs.

How do you actually sew the patch on the shirt pocket. I told my wife that it would be preferable for my son to sew his patches, but she told me it is a hard task for her to sew the rank badges (on the front pocket). Since I am sewing illiterate, I left it go.

But is this a tough task? Do you simply loop the thread around the edge of badge and then through the badge? Is my wife being too "motherly"?

Eek, don't scare me like that... my son just got his Bobcat badge and it's sitting on my sewing table waiting to be attached to the front pocket. Sewing the patches on the sleeves was tedious but not really difficult (other than keeping them straight - I use pins generally) but I hadn't really considered the differences between sewing on a pocket and on a sleeve!

Dedicated Dad,

A Tailor Merit Badge...great idea!! I've always thought that Scouting should offer a Sewing Merit Badge. Not only would that attend to the problem of patches and badges, but it would serve to teach tent repair, pack repair, and other sundry needs on the trail.

Good idea!!

Anyone out there in Texas reading this??????