Who is responsible?

I know that this is going to sound like a silly question, but I am going to ask it anyway.

In the book, it asks for a signature, who is responsible for signing that the scout has done each part of a requirement?

Thanks in advance,

Katrina

I am assuming you are asking about Boy and not Cub Scouts.

The answer for Boy Scouts is the Scoutmaster is responsible, but he/she can delegete the siging to anyone he/she wants to. This info is in the Scoutmaster Handbook.(This message has been edited by dan)

In our troop any star scout or higher can sign off on the lower rank requirements, any adult can sign off on any of the requirements of any rank. It is up to the SM or designee (sp?) to verify or have trust in the signer that the action has been properly finished. If I have any doubts I will remind the scout that a scout is trustworthy and ask them again, susprising how many 'come clean'.

YIS

As for your question of who can test. According to the Policies and Procedures, the Patrol Leader, Scoutmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, a troop committee member, or a member of his troop can do this. The Scoutmaster maintains a list of those qualified.

Doug

I am sorry for not making myself clear. I am talking about Cub Scouts. In the Cusb Scout book, it asks for a signature at the end of each requirement and I was wondering if the parent could sign off on them. Not that it is a real big deal in our case as I am the assistant den leader (who wants to learn everything about Scouting that I can) also. But wanted to know so that I could help other parents along also.

Katrina

Kittle, It depends. In Tiger, Wolf and Bear, the parent should sign off. In Webelos the Den Leader or person they designate should sign off, unless otherwise specified. Such as helping with the family laundry can be signed off by the parents.

The Den leader can also sign off on Tiger, Wolf and Bear if the requirement was met at a den or pack meeting. If you son goes to Day Camp, they may sign his book or may give you a list at the end of the week of what he accomplished.

Thanks Sctmom,

It seems like you are answering all my questions. I just wanted to make sure that I was doing right in signing my sons book. Up to this point, he has completed everything at home.

I'll try not to bug you all with my silly questions for awhile.

Katrina

Kittle,

Not a silly question at all. It is confusing and gets more so as your son moves up. As a Webelos Leader I allowed parents to sign off on their son's achievements. Most leaders will say that is a no-no.

What grade is your son?

For Tigers, Wolf and Bear, most of the achievements should be done at home with the family.

In my former life as a Webelos leader, I signed all the requirements for my den. While I was Cubmaster, I advised the Wolf & Bear den leaders that the parents could sign off on the requirements, but if they had any questions as to the completion of a requirement it was completely within their right to recheck the Cub. I encouraged Webelos leaders to not let parents sign the requirements since they were completed in the den & not at home.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• 4 weeks later...

Simply put, Akela can sign off on all Cub requirements. It is explained in the book. For Cub Scouts in the Tiger, Wolf and Bear program, the scouts Akela may be a teacher, parent, den leader, grandparent, minister, etc.

For Webelos Cub Scouts, in preparation for Boy Scouts, the den leader should sign off on all requirements. In my den I actually sign off on the requirements but nearly 100% of the time I take the parents word when I am told that the scout has done a requirement. More of the requirements are done in a den setting in the Webelos program, but not 100%.

For Boy Scouts, a Scout wanting to complete an advancement requirement must demonstrate to his leader that he has fully mastered a skill at the level expected. In a new-Scout Patrol the leader might be the Assistant Scoutmaster, or the troop guide assigned to the patrol. Scouts in regular patrols might be tested by adult troop leaders or by their own patrol leaders, troop guides, or another junior leader, provided that the boy leader has already earned the rank the Scout is aiming for. It is up to these leaders to make absolutely sure that Scouts have accomplished the skill that they are being approved for. When a Scout successfully demonstrates that he has completed a requirement, his leader acknowledges that fact and records the achievement with the troop scribe. In my troop, when at all possible, we encourage the Scout's Patrol Leader to sign-off on requirements. The scribe keeps track of every Scout's advancement progress along with the Committee Advancement Chair. You will find many troops that concentrate "power" in the SM. That is not dictated by BSA and certainly not endorsed by me.

• 2 weeks later...

In the webelos den, the den leader should sign off on requirements so the boys get used to having someone other than a parent do it. Promotes trust and honestly here.

I also take the den chief at his word when a webelos scout has accomplished a requirement.

Tx

J

CSRTC

Carrying the discussion a bit further, parents should NOT being signing their sons' books when the boys are in boy scouts. There is no rule preventing this if the SM has authorized it, but in general we want to wean the boys away from parental signatures. There are some things that parents have to sign, and if a parent is a merit badge counselor, or active leader, they may end up signing off their sons on some things. But the idea is to get boys used to the idea of approaching other adults and their youth leaders for these things.

They seem to be somewhat lenient in my son's Webelos den with parental signing. It seems they somewhat use an honor system. Right after my son joined about a 6 weeks ago, there were a number of things around the house that needed to be done. There was some yard work, Mom's car needed washing, a bike had a flat, a lightbulb needed replacing, etc. I showed my son how to do each item and had him physically do them. He earned his Handyman in one afternoon. I signed his book and he took it to his den leader who accepted it with no problem or comment. I even asked the ACM if it was OK to work on these outside of the den and he said yes. Some achievements like doing things around the house can't be done during den meetings or on campouts. What should I have done? Not signed and let him present his book to the den leader and tell him what he did so she could check it off? Either way, she acknowledges that they requirements were met and orders the pin. I see where this is different in Boy Scouts. I understand that Webelos is a transition, but some items don't lend themself to being signed by a leader unless it is just a formality.