eagle project rejection

This last Monday evening I had to reject an eagle project solely because the scout had used the old eagle project workbook. Our council is taking a hard line on this. Please make sure that your scouts are using the correct eagle project workbook.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Leadership is sometimes based on attention to detail, a real concern when it comes to the final report he's going to need to produce in the end. Good lesson to learn upfront, save him a lot of headache later on.

I have always learned the most from the hard-nosed teachers I had as I was growing up. Not much fun at the time, but it served me well in the years following.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

This does not surprise me, as this would be the correct thing to do. From http://councils.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Council440/Volunteer/Boy%20Scouts/Advancement%20Resources

"Starting Jan. 1, 2012, Eagle Scout candidatesunless they have already submitted a plan for approval by the council or district under the former requirementwill be expected to fulfill the revised service project requirement 5 using the new workbook."

Actually this boy turns 18 in May of this year so he is under the gun. I did review the substance of his project as documented and told him his project was OK. He just needed to get the paperwork right, possibly including a fund raising application. I also told him that, although I normally deal with eagle projects only on Monday evenings, I would see him at any time to help him advance the ball down the field so to speak. So my conscience is clean. This is more of a unit leader failure to make sure the right document was being used. The scoutmaster had approved the project.

sounds familure

We have 2 projects going on that one mother is at fault for the whole mess and council has already said although our thoughts were correct( that the boys needed to stop their project...reregistar as scouts.... and get it reaproved by the District before any farther progress is made) they will not back us up because they feel it was not the boys fault and that they cannot be peanalized for the one mothers actions.

I feel part of this is on the boys as well especialy the advertising of an illegal fundraiser.

Writing as "they", there is plenty of time for this young man to do what he needs to do. He has done all the necessary planning for his project. He just needs to redo the paperwork and chase down signatures. The project itself can be executed in the short order.

Yes, that is what the other moose is saying..

These scouts came to the board in February, and presented themselves as Lone Scouts. This did raise some eyebrows as half the group did not know what a Lone scout was, my husband was going to ask the DE, but he didn't..

When Scouts present their project there is a workbook, but no paperwork on their scout status.. Projects were approved, but board felt weird about the lone scout thing, as there was no good reason for it, and there was one pushy mom that was interupting the board on her son's behalf.

Well one scout promoted a Eagle Scout fundrasier listing it was for the troop they use to belong to (which is now defunct).. An adult leader of another troop called them on it, found out this lone scout thing, and that the mother knows she has not registered her scout but is trying to pull a fast one..

Adult leader talked to DE, the troop is defunct, we have no lone scouts in the district, the scouts are not registered. The DE wants them to find a troop, no good reason for the Lone Scout.. Well my husband talked to the first mother of lone scout who had handed registration money to helecopter mom, and had thought they were registered as lone scouts, son has yet to start his project. He could not talk to helecopter mom, as parents were not home. That project is started as he has been promoting for a fundraiser that will happen this Saturday.

Before the next evening helecopter mom got wind of issue, and called not my husband, not the DE, but the Council registrar, and harrassed him into enrolling the tow scouts as lone scouts.. So done deal now, whether the DE would have approved it or not..

Council will not enforce not accepting the work the scouts did while not registered, but said that the district can watch (especially helecopter mom's) sons project, but both projects and call them on it, if the mother is running the project.. So they will be planning some monitoring..

Also registrar got some new direction on operating procedures of registering lone scouts or full new units.. And Eagle board has organize a way to know at least that the scout at the project approval board is registered..

I am impressed. This has got to be one of the most brazen scams in scouting that I have ever heard of.

How does one fulfill a requirement for "position of responsibility" for six months while a life scout when you are not even registered or in a unit? Presumably they will try to claim credit for some POR in their prior defunct unit.

I am afraid I wouldn't let this go with someone saying the council would not enforce accepting the work previously done. We would make so much stink over this it would be the district or these two. I can't beleive that your council would do that.

Whoever approved the project should have revoked the approval as they were not scouts and not eligable.

Their position is, you are punishing the scout for the behavior of the parent.. The scout is normally not overseeing his registration (though possibly should be.)

Now if the scout allows his parent to run his project for him, you can call him on that.

We agreed with you that the Kids would need to come back to the board and have their projects reaproved or find new ones because they wernt registerd last time they came up so No EAGLE PROJECT was approved just a service project.

Council stated that Although our interpretation of how we should proceed is correct they wont back us. Because of the Reason Moosetracker just stated.

Now the fact that the boy put he old troop number on the Flyers and in the newspaper for the fundraiser right off the bat says hes doing something WRONG and he was aware of something.

The other scout had given apps and money to Lone Mom and assumed that they were now registered. That kid turns 18 in a month. So i feel bad for him and feel like the council is right in his situation cause neither him or his mom knew anything about this....they made the mistake of trusting lone mom.

So one boy the Council is Wrong with how they want to handle it and with the other boy i see the point....but wed have been more than willing to come see him in next day or so to get it reapproved....weve done it before for extreme situations.

Oh and lone mom's son has a few more years before he turns 18