This is the kind of trivial nonsense scout leaders argue about and then wonder why we are losing scouts at an ever increasing rate. Beavah's post is correct we are not here to teach a kid how to dress, we are here to teach leadership skills and to have a good time learning a variety of useful skills for the future. I have sat on EBOR's where the kids were in a suit and tie, full blown uniform, partial uniform and in every case it was the answers he gave and the growth he showed, and the love of scouting he projected that were the deciding factors as to whether or not he deserved the Eagle.

Scouting is so much more than a specific set of clothes, it is the persona or image that the boy emminates that really determines what kind of scout he is. Any scout leader that can not understand probably ought to seriously consider resigning their position.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed's right in that a uniform at an EBOR cannot be required as a condition for passing. What I would like to know is, why do we discuss minute points such as this and not the climate that creates situations like this. More specifically, what can we do to change the whole set of expectations so that ticky-tack questions like this become moot?

Sherminator...I have an answer for you!

"What I would like to know is, why do we discuss minute points such as this and not the climate that creates situations like this."

I'm fairly new to this. Last scout year, I was just a active parent. This year, I am an assistant Den Leader to a Bear Den. Anything Eagle or Boy Scouts is still outside my knowledge due to my little experience.

So here is why ( in my opinion) we need and should continue to discuss These "minute points".

I didn't know this. I never had to worry about it. One day, when my son hopefully goes to his EBOR, I probably wouldn't know either unless I was on the EBOR board. AS a den leader ( I plan to continue this route when my son goes to Boy Scouts) I probably won't have any interaction with the EBOR other than when my son goes before it ( meaning what he tells me about it).

Now, suppose there were EBOR all across this nation that had the same requirment. Of all the Scouts who's parents are not part of leadership or committee...how would they know?

WEll, with "Minute discussions " like this, we all get to find out. Maybe my son tells me one day, that he has an issue with the EBOR because he didn't wear his uniform. I would at least have an idea or venue to give him to pursue. Maybe one of the parents in my den has an older child having the same EBOR issues?

Maybe for reasons I cannot imagine, a Den Leader wants to hold Webelos from crossover because of a uniform issue.

I could tell them that uniform requirements are not legit.

What it boils down to is this: There may be many of you who have years and years of experience under your belts and can probably name off BSA rules and requirements as easy as the alphabet.

But there are also new volunteers, leaders and committee folks starting out for the first time every single day. We don't have that vast knowledge or experience. Maybe our pack/troop advancement person mistakenly thinks this is okay too. Who would know otherwise? This is great insight and knowledge to us.

Maybe one day , instead of another EBOR or two or twelve or 30 going through this same mess, maybe we can avoid it!

LOL! See? This is what I'm talking about.

I'm willing to bet that there is not, in any print, a specific rule that says " You can not add uniforms as a requiremnt to passing EBOR.

But I bet there is a rule saying that while you cannot lessen/weaken rquirements that BSA set, in some instances you can.

Being a newbie...I have no freakin idea!

Sherminator...this- again- is exactly why this should continue: Because so many things are up for interpretation. And listening to what others know,went through, etc...may help us newer guys out and keep a non issue from becoming an issue!

Opps!

"But I bet there is a rule saying that while you cannot lessen/weaken rquirements that BSA set, in some instances you can."

That was supposed to end with "...in some instances you can add to or strenghten requirements."

To late to eddit it now.

Scoutfish

shortridge...I'll take your word for it.

My biggest point is this: This is why these discussion need to continue - newbies like me,and opther people who don't know..can find out.

Why? Because both you and I know that in any group - including BSA...there are more than 1,000 experts, and they all have different answers! LOL!

The error is in "asking." Choose who you ask with great care or better yet, find out via official BSA publications.

I don't know how many times I was told "definitively" some sort of Scout "rule" that was incorrect. We owe it to the boys to get trained, train ourselves and not just "ask around."

Now, I'll grant that the BSA leaves a lot of room open for interpretation. Yes, a the uniform is one of the eight methods, it is not a requirement but Scout spirit is. So, is it adding to requirements if I deem that a Scout, who owns a uniform, just doesn't have enough "spirit" to actually put it on for a BOR?