2nd class 2a question (five separate troop/patrol activities)

Friendly disagreement in our troop on the rank advancements below. My position is that if you go on five different campouts you have met the requirement for 2nd class 2a. Others in the troop take the position that there is a maximum of two campouts that can be counted and the other three activities must be non camping activities such as eagle service projects, a fieldtrip for a merit badge, etc.

When I read the requirement I don't see a limit on campouts as others do which specifies that two - and only two - campouts can be used to reach five activities for 2nd class 2a.

Am I reading this wrong?

Anyone care to take a side?

Anyone, anyone... Beuller?

2nd class 2a. Since joining, have participated in five separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), two of which included camping overnight.

1st class #3.  Since joining, have participated in ten separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), three of which included camping overnight.

Here's the requirement.

Since joining, have participated in five separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), two of which included camping overnight.

The way I have always read this is two of these five events must be camping overnight. I have never read anything that states all five events can't be overnight camping.

Concur with rest, especially since some units went form a "hikeing and camping" troop, to a "camping and boating" which limited the number of hikes we took. More camping and less hiking works for me :)

I agree that the proper interpretation of the requirement does not limit the number of camping events that can be counted. I have always considered participation in fund raisers and services projects to be legitimate activities for this requirement.

Would it be double counting to include participating in a service project as credit towards service hours and an activity?

Would it be double counting to include participating in a service project as credit towards service hours and an activity?

Can't speak for others but our troop would allow participation in an eagle service project to count toward both the 1 hour service requirement and the 5 activities requirement for 2nd class. I guess it's a bit of a double dip but still we would give credit for both.