Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook 512-927

My son is about to start the process of planning his Eagle project. He knows what he wants to do and agreed on a project with our local forest preserve district.

My question is regarding the new Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook 512-927.

I see that there is a PDF version of it on-line (from nesa.org) that has editable fields, but the nature of that form severely limits the kind of information that can be entered. There is no way to insert photos, tables, or anything beyond hand-typed lines of text. Even then, there is no auto-line return on longer areas of text. Each line is separate field.

Can anyone provide advice on how my son should insert diagrams, photos, tables, etc... into his workbook?

I'll have him ask district Eagle advisor, but I'm hoping people in this forum have experience with the 512-927 pdf workbook.

If find older versions of the workbook in word format - which provide a lot of flexibility for inserting items - but I fear it won't be accepted after August 1, 2009 ... and his project will likely go past that date.

I would do it the old fashioned way. Print it out, and attach stuff manually. I would not mess with trying to get the technology to work. One thing I do suggest to scouts is to type stuff up and print it out, then physically cut and paste necessary narrative into the workbook.

Two tech paths if you insist:

1) ecopy desktop. www.ecopy.com The product is made for putting together pdf files, writing on them even when they do not have that capability, etc. I think they have a trial version for 45 days that you can download.

2) Adobe Professional. Find someone with a copy that can help you, and again you can do more to the final product. Great product as well, and having a single .pdf file in the end makes it much easier to print spare copies of the project in the future (and to archive).

Knowing how to do both of these is a good skill to have, IMHO. Then again, I work in tech!

What I have seen done is that scouts will take the workbook apart and create a binder, inserting the pages from the workbook into page protectors, and placing the photos, diagrams, etc. with the pertinent info.

I suggest your son talk to the SM abotu what has been done inthe past since it's his project, his responsibility.

Ditto what Eagle92 said. That is mostly what I see. Print out the digital photos on separate pages and insert the extra pages into a binder. I've also seen one entirely written out by hand...perfectly acceptable.

Thanks for the Advice!!

Eagle92 - this summer has the young troop's first Eagle projects.

So it sounds like the workbook in its final form is a paper item, so I can have them just print out the respective pages and then insert appropriate items after the official form pages.

Before giving the final workbook to the district/council it would seem to be a smart thing to take it to a copy place and get a backup copy of the whole thing made.

I did a google search on "eagle project workbook word document" and came up with lots of locations to find the workbook in MS Word format. One entry was here:

http://www.nesa.org/trail/18-936.doc

On the google page, I right clicked the link and used the save target as option to download the document.

You can open the document with MS Word, and fill out the form. You should be able to insert pictures, diagrams, text, and anything else you can insert into a word document.

I do this with my scouts, so they can email me the workbook and I can comment on it with them over the phone or via email. When it is passable, they can print it out and take it to the district Eagle Project review meeting for approval. Later they can update the document for the eagle application (which I also found online).

Computers are wonderful tools. But the content is only as good as the author.

"Before giving the final workbook to the district/council it would seem to be a smart thing to take it to a copy place and get a backup copy of the whole thing made."

Absolutely, I doubt our council office is the only one that has ever lost a workbook before.

And ours wants a physical binder. Not a disc, thumbdrive, etc.

SA