thank yous after Eagle Board

I recently chaired an Eagle board of review (as a stand-in for our adv. chair because the candidate is his son). We were able to get the director of the group for whom this young man had done his service project to sit on the board, along with a couple of scouters who have crazy schedules these days, but made accomodations so that they could be on this young man's board. Afterward, I got to thinking about the time that these people put into the process; not just the board itself, but also in helping this scout along the way.

I'd like to send thank you letters to the board members. I'd also like to send a congratulatory letter to the young man. (He received some nice constructive feedback from some board members but he mentioned later that he hardly remembered anything anybody said - I think he was a bit overwhelmed. I'd like to incorporate some of those comments into my congratulatory letter for him.)

Would this be appropriate? Does anybody else do anything like this? I know it is not something our troop has done in the past.

Lisa'bob

Lisa,

A thank you is always appropriate.

One of my professional mentors told me: Sometimes the little things in relationships now yield big results later. Civility and courtesy together form the grease that keeps relationships lubed.

Our district advancement chair has developed a nice certificate to present to the Eagle Candidate. Since we can't officially call him an Eagle, the certicate says that he has successfully passed the BOR and is being recommended to national. It is signed by the members of the Board and is presented to him with his SM and parents in the room.

Our BOR chair, who always chairs the EBORs always passes around a "sign in" sheet for the EBOR members to fill out with their full name and address - this is given to the scout after the BOR is complete. Almost always, the BOR members receive thank you notes from the scout.

Thanks for the input. AwHeck, I really like that idea and will suggest it to our adv. chair. I completely agree that, ideally, these thank yous should be coming from the boy and not the adults.

Lisa'bob