Scouts working at benefit

This really isn't a unit fundraising question, but this forum seemed to be the best fit. A young woman with several children in our area has received a fairly grim cancer diagnosis. Several of her friends and family are organizing a fundraising benefit for her and her family. They have asked if any of our scouts would like to volunteer to help. Primarily they would be helping with setup and serving food.

Obviously, the scouts may do whatever they want on their own free time. My question is, whether we can consider this a troop activity, and count the time as service hours (I recognize this is primarily a matter within the SM's discretion)? It isn't a unit fundraiser, so we presumably don't need to complete a unit money earning application. But I wondered whether anyone thought this language, which appears to come from the national by-laws has any applicability: "Youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money for chartered organization units, for the local council, or in support of other organizations."

On a related note, could they wear uniforms while working at the benefit? They're not selling a commercial product, and it doesn't seem within the realm of the unit fundraising rules. It seems like positive exposure without any of the concerns that underly the other prohibitions. Thoughts?

I agree that you don't need a Unit Money Earning Application, as the unit is not earning any money.

As far as service hours go, I would agree that it's at the SM's discretion, but I can't see any obvious reason why this event shouldn't qualify.

Regarding National's legalese, I don't think that setting up and serving food counts as soliciting money, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Absolutely wear uniforms, can't see any reason not to.

A scout is helpful.

Put your uniforms on and show up to help, it's what scouting is all about, even if the SM for some reason doesn't give the boys service project hours.

Any boy that shows up to do his Good Turn deserves everyone's respect.

Stosh

I concur with the other posts. Participating at the event should not be a problem. However, soliciting funds or selling tickets for the event as a boy scout would likely cross a line that national does not want crossed.

Counting "service hours" shouldn't really be that much of an issue. The *minimum* required for rank advancement to Eagle is 13 hours (one for Second Class, six each for Star and Life). Spend a couple hours washing dogs at the animal shelter, sorting cans at the food bank, shelving books at the library, cleaning up a trail at the state park or reading to youngsters in the local read-aloud program, and any Scout worth his salt can knock those off without lifting a finger. Opportunities are endless.

As others have said, this is completely kosher - just the sort of thing Scouts should be doing. Go for it!

Granted, there may be issus or ramifications that I am not aware of...but I'd like to think that if I was the DE or SE of the council or district that this was happening in - I'd be proud and glad to have scouts like this.

GIves you something to use as an example of community service and is covered by about 3/4 thos of the scout law.

BD is right - many high schools ask for twice that number per SEMESTER. 13 hours over ~7 years in Boy Scouts seems like a joke - I guess the good news is that many (most?) scouts will do more than that.

Hope your boys feel proud, Blanc!

BD anc KC, the fact that *any* service hours are required for rank advancement is an insult to the notion of volunteering with no expectation of reward. I'm glad it's only 13. I wish it were zero -- stricken from the requirements along with the "invite a friend" requirement.

Any scout that asks what he's going to get out of doing anything is in the program for all the wrong reasons. I'm sure these boys all take "Do a Good Turn daily" seriously!~ This attitude is why I never want to be part of an Eagle mill program.

Stosh