Square Knots...Are you game? (Just for fun)

Ok, so recently I have been working on a display of Square Knot recognition Knots for an upcoming council training event. Oh my gosh...there are like a million of them!!! LOL

So I thought it would be fun to play a little game.

The rules are simple:

1) Each post can only identify 1 (ONE) Square knot (Plenty enough to go around for everyone!).

2) Current and retired knots are fair game, but let's to keep this to Official BSA Knots only. (We could go on forever on "Unofficial" or "Private" issue items".

3) Any background, personal comments related to, information on how to obtain, or historical information would be fun as well, but not required.

4) And just for fun...lets number them so that we can see if we can get a running count of how many we can identify (Example... #1 The Silver Hippopotamus Knot...not really, etc.).

Let the game begin!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a old timer in our unit who wears three knots: His AOL, his Eagle and his religious knot.    One of our new dads, active in district with a chest full of knots, asked him one night, "Is that

Gee, I must be REALLY old, I thought the limit was 6.    As far as uniforms go, the trend seems to be whatever one wants to wear is acceptable.  Just last week, I was late for the meeting and slipp

I think the key is being judicious and having a sense of taste and propriety, which admittedly is sorely lacking nowadays. Current BSA guidelines indicate that no more than three rows, or nine knots,

Another rare one would be the Silver World Award, although not a square knot it goes in the same place. Red and white vertical stripes, with a blue globe centered with silver stars in it. From the info that I can find only 40-60 have been awarded http://www.scoutingbsa.com/Programs/Awards/Adult_Leader_Awards/Silver_World_Award.html(This message has been edited by click23)(This message has been edited by click23)

> #4 NESA Outstanding Scoutmaster - white knot on khaki backgroun

Sorry that is the Scoutmaster Award of Merit. The same knot is also used for the Varsity Scout Coach Award of Merit and the Venturing Advisor Award of Merit.

And, no, I don't know why there is not one for the Cubmaster or Skipper.

Ed

"Good luck with the Explorer Silver Award knot: it has been used for at least four different awards. "

Oh? Which awards?

I am aware of:

* Explorer/Air Explorer Silver Award

* Explorer Achievement Award

* Explorer G.O.L.D. Award

* Explorer Scout Ranger Award (when its unique knot was dropped early one)

* Air Scout/Air Explorer Ace Award (again, when its unique knot was dropped early on)

I've ran into Scouters who claimed it is also allowed for the Explorer Leadership Awards (which became the Venturing Leadership Awards), but I have NEVER seen any evidence to that.

"#5 Eagle, Red, White, and Blue on a Kahaki background

(has been produced on other background colors such as white, black, and green)"

Not quite.

It was first produced on khaki, forest green, white, and navy blue.

While never officially made on sky blue, others have done so.

Later produced only on tan. (current uniforms) Others now supply 'repros' on green, white, and navy.

"> #4 NESA Outstanding Scoutmaster - white knot on khaki background"

"Sorry that is the Scoutmaster Award of Merit. The same knot is also used for the Varsity Scout Coach Award of Merit and the Venturing Advisor Award of Merit."

Well, he's actually correct. Its the NESA Scoutmaster Award of Merit Award. Early on, the NESA connection was dropped. Only later was it extended to Varsity Scout Coaches and Venturing Advisors.

"And, no, I don't know why there is not one for the Cubmaster or Skipper. "

well, a Sea Scout Skipper IS a Venturing Advisor, so that would work. Only problem is the requirements for the Venturing Advisor version speaks of the Venturing Silver Award program and not the Sea Scout Advancement program.

#6. William D. Boyce New-Unit Organizer Award - Worn by those honored for starting a new unit.

We started a new Troop in September, so I'm very familiar with this one.

Description

The William D. Boyce New-Unit Organizer Award is presented to recognize volunteers who organize one or more traditional Scouting units. The award may be worn on the adult uniform. The award is a white square knot placed over the three colors representing the three phases of our programCub Scouting, Boy Scouting, and Venturing. A volunteer can earn the knot by organizing one traditional unit, and a program device can be earned for up to three additional units organized.

The award recognizes volunteers for organizing traditional units after March 1, 2005.

http://scoutleaderawards.com/awards/boyce.asp