I am a Brotherhood member of the OA. Though until reciently not active until my son was taped out this year.

At the ordeal, I noticed that there were different sashes. Not just Ordeal, Brotherhood, & Vigel. Different Colors, such as:

Black Sash w/white arrow

Red Sash w/white arrow

Red Sash w/black arrow

I also noticed all of the above "Beaded".

And some had the legend on the back of the sash.

I have called, wrote, and asked everyone from local to national. But NO ONE has given me a good answer. The local lodge has said that they were for ceremony. Some have said that it was for collections only. (The Black w/white arrow was the orginal sash). Others have said it is your choice. (You can get them from Ebay)

I don't buy the last answer, we wear a uniform for a reason.

What is authorized for wear? Colors? Where do they come from? Beaded?

Someone out there has the answer!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it amazing the reactions that people have when the Uniform Guide is mentioned. Here we are in a discussion about the use of beaded sashes. Someone points out that they are not official and shou

Again, someone asks a question about what is proper uniform wear, a correct response is given and the correct responder is pilloried for being a kill joy. I've see it way too many times in this forum

According to the National OA the 3 white sashes with emgroidered red arrows are approved for uniform wear. The others are appropriate for wall display or as collectibles but are not approved for unifrom wear.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

It is my understanding that the black sash with the white arrow was the original sash. I think they were discontinued in the 40's. Under the general principle that one can wear older uniforms until they wear out, I suppose one could wear the older sash if that was what you received when you first inducted. There are probably members still alive who received that sash originally. If somebody is wearing a reproduction, or one that they bought on e-bay, then that is probably a uniform violation.

I have also seen sashes with various insignia added, including a pictogram representation of the legend on the back. As BW says, these people may be abusing the uniform.

• 1 month later...

Bob White is absolutely right! But with Scouting declining in memberships, press not favorable to our cause. And leaders who are not leading but politicizing, what is the harm? If this fires the spirit, and gets them motivated, who cares? I don't. I am sure BSA doesn't either. Get the youth in the program, keep the program alive, keep the program exciting. Bottom line. If it works, use it.

Since our Venture Crew has adopted black SWAT uniforms as their uniform, this black OA sash for our Venture OA members will be appealing. Remember, Venturers can select their own uniform.

ASM514

captainron14, I just showed my son your post. He is our Venturing Crew President and he said if you find a black sash with white arrow to please let me know. He will buy the lot for his crew. Thanks for the post.

ASM514

Excuse Me! "But with Scouting declining in memberships, press not favorable to our cause. And leaders who are not leading but politicizing, what is the harm? If this fires the spirit, and gets them motivated, who cares?"

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. The ends cannot justify the means. If the members want to propose to national to change the sash - so be it. But until then, there is but the 3 sashes - Ordeal, Brotherhood, and Vigil red arrow on white. Nothing else to be worn on the sash.

"Who Cares?" I do.

People in a venture crew, both youth and adult, who may have been inducted in OA in a different setting would, IMHO, be absolutely entitled to wear their sash, and other OA insignia, consistent with the Insignia Guide. Since sashes are generally worn only at OA events, the issue would seem to be moot for venture crew folks.