• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it amazing the reactions that people have when the Uniform Guide is mentioned. Here we are in a discussion about the use of beaded sashes. Someone points out that they are not official and shou

Again, someone asks a question about what is proper uniform wear, a correct response is given and the correct responder is pilloried for being a kill joy. I've see it way too many times in this forum

Don't know if it is in this thread or another one, but at 1 time OA relaxed when and what you could wear the OA sash with. It was in the mid to late 1980s, I know I could wear mine at COH per the OAHB at the time, and the sash wasn;t restricted to just the field uniforms and those performing in ceremonial attire, but could be worn with the dress, aka professional, uniform of grey pants, white shirt, "barber shop" tie, and blue blazer with insignia.

The IH appointed me the COR which makes me the defacto interpreter of BSA program for my units.

It is true our unit requires an official uniform of each boy and each leader. We require it as much as we can, which is to say about as much as the uniform guide. We say it is required, and then people either do it or don't, and we don't do anything other than say, "Where's your uniform?" when they arrive.

As to which parts to follow, that is simple. I like the idea of the basics of the uniform. I think some of the smaller, more detailed rules are stupid. Especially the rules about the OA sash not being worn on the belt.

Am I required to be a black and white thinker who either hates uniforms entirely or follows the uniform guide to perfection? I do not believe I am required to be such.

Is there a guide of uniform thought somewhere? Please say there is. I would like to set about breaking its many rules immediately. :)(This message has been edited by bsa24)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wait for the 100th anniversary. The National Committee has already discussed a special commemorative sash for all participants. They will state that the sashes will only be worn at the NOAC, but I don't see how they manage it after everyone goes home.

I think some of the smaller' date=' more detailed rules are stupid. Especially the rules about the OA sash not being worn on the belt.[/quote']

I realize I'm responding to a post from August, but I want to address this specific point. There is a symbolic reason for wearing the OA sash over the right shoulder and not in any other way. It is explained in the Ordeal ceremony right before the sash is given to the new members. Plus, there are two things to consider: first, a scout is obedient; second, adults should be setting the example for the scouts.

• 4 weeks later...

There are so many issues with this tread in my mind.

While venturing crews can select their own uniforms....having them dressed in all black uniforms, reminencent of a certain military group in the 40's and modern hate group...probably doesn't portray the proper BSA image.

Technically, you should only wear the white sash with red arrow...but I've also seen the other versions. I aslo like the idea of having the OA history on the back.. so this becomes an issue of Uniform Police vs. personal preference. As stated...the technical rule says white sash.

The concept of BSA declining in numbers, so just allow it is contrary to the idea of integrity and honesty. What are we teaching our members if we're more worried about them leaving then doing what's right?

• 8 months later...

levi.bowhunter, you can find sash patterns out there, but I would not use one. From my prospective, I prefer to own what I make. When I beaded my original sash I simply looked at my embroidered one, and drew what I saw on graph paper. My version of the legend was made creating my own pictographs for each key segment (I designed it as a prop that would keep me on track in the ceremony).

The new sash I'm beading is base on the old one, sans the legend, tweaked to work better in lazy stich.

• 1 month later...
Excuse Me! "But with Scouting declining in memberships, press not favorable to our cause. And leaders who are not leading but politicizing, what is the harm? If this fires the spirit, and gets them motivated, who cares?"

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. The ends cannot justify the means. If the members want to propose to national to change the sash - so be it. But until then, there is but the 3 sashes - Ordeal, Brotherhood, and Vigil red arrow on white. Nothing else to be worn on the sash.

"Who Cares?" I do.

Very well put. Uniform is uniform.
  • 2 weeks later...