People were being turned down for using CPAP machines. You had the opportunity to resubmit your medicals stating that your machines were battery-operated. This seems a little strange to me since battery-operated means that they will need to be recharged on a regular basis which, in effect, is the same as directly operating on electric.

In my small circle, I know of three people that this happened to.

Yes.

Why:

Risk Factors: http://www.bsajamboree.org/BePrepared.aspx

Process: http://www.bsajamboree.org/MedicalProcess.aspx

Re: Process

As the records are received by Medical Services, they will be reviewed and accepted or denied. If accepted, each individual will be notified by the Jamboree Department via e-mail. The denial process includes three levels of review by three separate physicians. At each level, the local council will be notified for contingent members and staff will be notified on an individual basis. After the third denial, the decision is final. The levels are as follows:

First review by the chief medical officer (CMO) of the subcamp or the staff facility.

Second review by the CMO over the region or the staff.

Third and final review by the CMO of operations, the assistant CMO of the jamboree, and the jamboree CMO.

Re: Sleep Apnea:

Participants with sleeping disorders may experience health risks due to long days and short nights for the duration of the jamboree. Participants with sleep apnea requiring a CPAP machine should reconsider participation. If considered fit, all equipment (e.g., CPAP machine) must be provided by the participant and be self-contained as there will not be electrical support for the machine. This includes batteries (without provisions for recharging) to be both brought to and taken away from the jamboree (remember Leave No Trace guidelines).

My son received a denial today due to height/weight. He plays football and wrestles but the BSA only goes on height/weight. Seems very discriminatory to me. When I told him he stated that the BSA should offer a fitness test and I agree.

Luckily he was approved by the Regional Medical Advisor.

Scouts-a-lot,

I have the opposite problem from your son. I am right on the edge of being underweight based on the height weight chart. I am like 5'11", and 134 pounds. I will be drinking a bunch of water and eating heavy food before I go to get my physical done.

I am looking at latest version of the medical form, the one dated 9/2009 and not the one that came out in early 2009 during the transition, and it does have body fat percentages listed in it as an option to the H/W limits. Verbage is confusing at first look, but it looks as if BSA now allows body fat percentage to be used as an alternate.

Individuals desiring to participate in any high-adventure activity or event in which emergency evacuation would take longer

than 30 minutes by ground transportation will not be permitted to do so if they exceed the height/weight limits as documented

in the table at the bottom of this page or if during a physical exam their health care provider determines that body fat

percentage is outside the range of 10 to 31 percent for a woman or 2 to 25 percent for a man. Enforcing this limit is strongly

encouraged for all other events, but it is not mandatory. (For healthy height/weight guidelines, visit www.cdc.gov.)

Also Did anyone notice that only Parts A and C need to be updated annually, but nowhere on the form does it say Part B needs to be updated annually? Unless i'm missing something, and I know jambo is requiring a physical within a certain period prior to jambo, NOWHERE on the form is a physcial conducted by a MD, PA, FNP, et al is required every year.

The way that's worded, it would appear that a participant could be excluded from a HA activity for failing either standard, so even if you meet the height weight standard, you can get the boot for having more than 25% body fat. There is nothing in there that says if you meet the body fat percentage limit that the height weight test will be disregarded.

Regards,

DWS