Journey to Excellence "Campout"

It's what a troop or crew that could care less about JTE does for a weekend every month or so.

Seriously, if you're wasting time splitting hairs over the definition (or how someone else is using it) give it to a youth in your unit to fill out for you.

Actually, we had one of the helicopter moms on the committee propose one last year. Her idea for one campout where the boys could focus on advancement so we could meet the goal of every Scout advancing one rank a year. While Scouts are working on advancement and I conduct conferences at almost every campout, the idea was this would be the focus of the campout. In her opinion, on "regular" campouts, the boys get destracted by the other activities and often forget to ask for conferences or get requirements signed, which is true.

Don't recall what we did that weekend, but it was NOT focused on advancement or JTE.

E732,

I do give it to my crew officers to complete. It is a good reflection tool.

Haven't looked at the troop version in detail, but I'm sure a PLC of older boys could work with it. A younger group might think it's a "to do" list or maybe a test or just another trick to get them to sell more popcorn. They would need your guidance to keep it from overwhelming them.

Earlier this year, the district was giving a big push to turn in the goal sheet for the troop's journey to excellence. They made a big deal out of having the PLC being involved, so I decided to give it to the youth and ask them to fill it out.

We haven't had a problem meeting the form's gold standard and I anticipate the same results this year. However, the boys had lower expectations and set our sights on silver. I got a chuckle out of putting a note on the form that our unit had lowered it's goals based on input from the youth. I am sure that made some commissioner pucker up when he read it!

• 4 months later...

ISSUE: Is an overnight stay in a heated cabin a "campout." (As regards which, are the requiremens for the Camping Merit Badge authority of any kind for defi9ning "campout"?)

The "corporation" is The Boy Scouts of America, Inc., a 501©(3) non-profit corporation.

All the frantic interest is coming from adults who want to sure "they" win "Gold."

From the FAQ on the JTE website

45. Do YMCA lock-ins to work on swimming requirements, lock-ins at indoor climbing facilities, etc. count as short-term camping for JTE purposes? Yes, these activities do count as long as they’re troop outings.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/mission/JTE_FAQs-Unit.pdf FWIW. I'd interpret that to say if your cabin camp was a troop outing then count it.