Journey to Excellence "Campout"

Having read the linked material, which states that a "campout" may be held indoors, I feel that merely lighting the JT forms on fire at a district meeting is insufficient. The fire need to be set at another location entirely -- some distance away from Ohio and to the southwest..

I believe this is simply another example of the tendency of the corporation to have employees, with no broad knowledge of Scouting, off in thier own little bubbles pontificating about some aspect of Scouting in a way that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

On the same website, B.S.A. declares: "Organized camping is a creative, educational experience in cooperative group living in the outdoors. It uses the natural surroundings to contribute significantly to physical, mental, spiritual, and social growth."

It is like Gulliver's Travels in its darkest aspects: the work of giants being pulling down by Pygmies -- with due aploogies to the real Pygmies for the invideous comparison.

Having read the linked material, which states that a "campout" may be held indoors, I feel that merely lighting the JT forms on fire at a district meeting is insufficient. The fire need to be set at another location entirely -- some distance away from Ohio and to the southwest..

I believe this is simply another example of the tendency of the corporation to have employees, with no broad knowledge of Scouting, off in thier own little bubbles pontificating about some aspect of Scouting in a way that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

On the same website, B.S.A. declares: "Organized camping is a creative, educational experience in cooperative group living in the outdoors. It uses the natural surroundings to contribute significantly to physical, mental, spiritual, and social growth."

It is like Gulliver's Travels in its darkest aspects: the work of giants being pulling down by Pygmies -- with due aploogies to the real Pygmies for the invideous comparison.

Actually' date=' we had one of the helicopter moms on the committee propose one last year. Her idea for one campout where the boys could focus on advancement so we could meet the goal of every Scout advancing one rank a year. While Scouts are working on advancement and I conduct conferences at almost every campout, the idea was this would be the focus of the campout. In her opinion, on "regular" campouts, the boys get destracted by the other activities and often forget to ask for conferences or get requirements signed, which is true. Don't recall what we did that weekend, but it was NOT focused on advancement or JTE. [/quote']

We do advancement on every campout for T21. By that, I mean that the boys set up tents, cook, and clean up on every campout. Often in down time during campouts, we will test boys on knots, first aid, etc. Yes, we do sometimes tailor activities so that the boys can advance, like an orienteering course or a 5 mile hike. Our eventual goal is that the advancement will become a bit less obvious, and just a by-product of fun camping, but as every troop is, we are a work in progress.

Actually' date=' we had one of the helicopter moms on the committee propose one last year. Her idea for one campout where the boys could focus on advancement so we could meet the goal of every Scout advancing one rank a year. While Scouts are working on advancement and I conduct conferences at almost every campout, the idea was this would be the focus of the campout. In her opinion, on "regular" campouts, the boys get destracted by the other activities and often forget to ask for conferences or get requirements signed, which is true. Don't recall what we did that weekend, but it was NOT focused on advancement or JTE. [/quote']

We do advancement on every campout for T21. By that, I mean that the boys set up tents, cook, and clean up on every campout. Often in down time during campouts, we will test boys on knots, first aid, etc. Yes, we do sometimes tailor activities so that the boys can advance, like an orienteering course or a 5 mile hike. Our eventual goal is that the advancement will become a bit less obvious, and just a by-product of fun camping, but as every troop is, we are a work in progress.

• 2 weeks later...