CBS 60 Minutes Interview with President Obama

Scott Pelley: Next week, the Board of the Boy Scouts of America is going to vote on whether to end their national ban on gays in Scouting. Should Scouting be open to gays?

President Obama: Yes

Scott Pelley: Why so?

President Obama: ...My attitude is that gays and lesbians should have access and opportunity the same way everybody else does, in every institution and walk of life. The Scouts are a great institution that are promoting young people and exposing them to opportunities and leadership that will serve people for the rest of their lives. And I think nobody should be barred from that.

Link with interview video segment

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_162-57567357-10391739/obama-yes-boy-scouts-should-allow-gay-members/

When he was elected President the first time, was there not some concern he would turn down the Honorary Title of "President of the BSA' ?

Because of statements he made on the first Campaign trail? WHen he accepted, it seemed hypercritical then, he applauding the BSA now is in line with what he hahd said previously

I do note that President Obama seems emboldened to finally state his views since he has no other higher office to run for or be reelected to. Too bad he was unwilling to have the courage of his convictions until now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't President Obama make a statement sometime before the last election favoring a change in the BSA policy? And now that the change seems to be imminent, he is encouraging it. That seems pretty consistent. Or am I mssing something?