Not in a Weapon Free Zone

And your point is? Well never mind I know what your point is.

This is another example of how most murders involve people who know each other.

The type of gun is irrelevant. Access to the gun by a 15 year old is the issue, not to mention the motivation which at the moment we do not know.

You are continually fixated on gun and magazine designs when it has been proven to you that it is unfortunately easy to kill large numbers of people in short periods of time using firearms other than so-called assault weapons.

Chest thumping and proposing feel good solutions does nothing to address the real problem.

What this case shows is what many, many cases have shown and what research in other countries have shown. Folks living in homes that have guns are more likely to be injured or killed by gunfire than folks who live in homes that do not have guns.

Data from a US mortality follow-back survey were analyzed to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a violent death in the home and whether risk varies by storage practice, type of gun, or number of guns in the home. Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4). They were also at greater risk of dying from a firearm homicide, but risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death. The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6). Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home. -American Journal of Epidemiology

Granted, folks who feel threatened by homicide may be more inclined to have a gun in the home and that may skew the statistics somewhat.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Brewmeister, this gaggle of threads about guns, threads that just seem to proliferate without end, should be evidence to you that with every such tragic, well-publicized event involving guns, more people say to themselves, "enough is enough". You as fairly could be characterized as 'chest thumping' as Basementdweller. Because until YOU offer a reasonable solution, reasonable enough for those people whose opinion just shifted because of another well-publicized tragedy involving guns, YOU are swimming against the current. It's just a matter of time - and the ONLY way for you to avoid losing much more than is probably warranted (witness the NY kneejerk reaction) is for YOU to bring a better, more-reasonable solution for people to consider. You haven't. Moreover, some nebulous platitude about needing to address mental health, or something along those lines is not going to cut it. You need to state something with some specifics. It must pass the same level of skepticism that YOU are applying to the proposals that others propose.

If you don't start suggesting better solutions, you can expect nothing that you would like to happen...because YOU are not giving anyone a better option.

Yah, I think we have to be a bit careful with news reports, eh?

Since this is da hot topic of the moment, every newsie is goin' to be on da lookout for related stories. So we're goin' to see stories that would typically appear only locally splashed nationally if they are gun violence with weapons of da type proposed for regulation, and if any arise, we'll see stories of anybody who whips out their AR-15 to defend their home or their neighbor as well.

Just how the media works, eh?

Best to exercise more-than-average skepticism in usin' any news reports for makin' decisions for a while.

I confess I was a bit embarrassed by the string of accidental shootings across da nation that coincided with "Gun Appreciation Day". Really? How hard is it to unload your firearm and secure it properly before puttin' it in a case for transport?

Beavah

Not thumping my chest....

Someone posted about most of the Mass shootings happening in weapon free zones. that is what my post was about.

I am not fixated on any particular color or title of weapon.

I am now an NRA member and have sent an email and letter voicing my opinion to MY organizations leadership.

As an NRA member I would like all semiautomatic weapons with detachable magazines removed from private ownership. that is exactly what I put in my letter and email.

Just chatted with my nutter coworker. Went to a gun show last weekend in Wilington Ohio. He said there was a fellow there selling AR clones with a sign on his table that said.

NO BACKGROUND CHECKS

Make me an offer

The guns had tags on them from $2k to $2800

He also said that 22 long rifle rounds were being sold for $80 for 500.....

I am not selling the glock.....I am a stable reasonable fellow, not living in fear at home or in the outdoors. It is fun to shoot, but my entertainment is not worth one more life lost.

Five shot on MLK road, after MLK parade, on MLK day.

To quote Linda Ellerbee, and so it goes.

The New Orleans Police Department says that a gunman in a white sedan shot at five teens in front of a store on Martin Luther King near LaSalle around 1 p.m. Monday.

The incident occurred on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a holiday marked by a parade in New Orleans that passed by the area of the shooting about 30 minutes prior to the incident.

Five people were shot in the incident. The injuries were said to be non-life-threatening. According to police, the drive-by shooting was caught on surveillance video.