LOL! :) THat's a typical boy for you! Rocks, sticks, whatever they can get their hands on. It's always fun and games until the get hurt. And they will remember it until the next time, in which case they forget as soon as the first rock or stick is picked up/

About the G2SS , Sure, those things can earn you a beltlop and pin, but some of them are appropriate only at camps or council events.

Some things are okay for one age group, but not a younger group.

CANOEINg is a big one: That one is only "supposed" to be held at council or district level events.

As far as the kid goes, take him to task: If he doesn't care if he has to sit out...make him sit out. The main thing is..show him that he will be expected to act like all the other scouts, but likewise, treat him that way too.

I have one kid that is in our den who is a ADHD kid. His meds wear off just about 30 mins before our meetings.

Well, I discovered that if you just shove him in the crowd and talk...you'll lose him fast, but talk directly to him every now and then...you will have his attention the whole time.

After teaching knots, He was the first one I assisted. Once he "got" that first knot, he was good to go.Then I assisted the next kid.

I have found that scouts, of whatever age, are expected to develop a bit of leadership along the way. The biggest stumbling block to leadership in my book is the phrase, "I don't care."

The standard answer I give, "That's too bad, I need a leader, I'll check with the other boys, thanks for the heads-up."

This puts the onus on the boy. I have a opportunity to lead, I chose you but you are taking a pass on it. I just move on to the next scout and offer him the opportunity. Once the "I don't care" scout figures out that this phrase is not a threat and is more self-punishment than he wishes to deal out on himself, he may come around.

After a while, when all the opportunities are going to the other boys, the "I don't care" scout will want in on the perks. That's the point where a "I thought you didn't care" discussion can begin.

Boys who need adult recognition will accept negative recognition just as easily as positive. The only workable "weapon of choice" at that point is ignore him and/or bypass him. It'll frustrate him and for a while encourage him to act up even more. Once he realizes he can't get a rise out of you, he'll quit the antics.

Even when he's being a pill, still make the occasional offer to allow him into the situation. Don't react to the "No" or "I don't want to" or "I don't care" comments he makes. Just give a cheerful okay and move on to the next boy.

The boy cannot win under those circumstances.

1) he can't get a rise out of you.

2) he can't complain about being left out.

3) he is not punished by anyone but himself for his decisions.

Eventually he will recognize how one reacts to him is based on his decisions and those decisions where he cooperates and involves himself gains recognition and where he doesn't cooperate he is ignored.

Stosh

It seems to me this boy is acting like a boy. He is just doing things boys do. Now that we understand that we can get down to how to funnel his boy energy and mischievousness into what would help him become strong young man and man. There is no cut and dry answers it all depends on the boy you have to figure out what works for the boy.

A good male role model has been mentioned since the den leaders are both women then get a good den chief one who works well with CS age boys, and who the boys look up to.

But the most important thing to remember is boys will be boys. They need to me active. They don't like to sit around and listen to someone talk. They learn better by doing. Don't treat them like girls.

I've got a couple of those boys.

No longer do I ask "Any questions?"

Now I ask "Any intelligent questions?"

I always try to have more activities than the time frame allows. That way if one of my troublemakers tries to take over the center of attention, I can bemoan whatever activity we're not going to have time for. The peer pressure, "Shut up so we can play SPUD!" works beeter than any threats I can make.

I've got a couple of those boys.

No longer do I ask "Any questions?"

Now I ask "Any intelligent questions?"

I always try to have more activities than the time frame allows. That way if one of my troublemakers tries to take over the center of attention, I can bemoan whatever activity we're not going to have time for. The peer pressure, "Shut up so we can play SPUD!" works better than any threats I can make.