Is Yu-Gi-Oh finally dead?

At roundtable last week, a young cub scout was attending with his dad. The boy had his yugioh cards so it was a great chance for me to say howdy and ask about his favorite and how long he'd been collecting. We had a nice, short chat.

They are another opportunity to connect with a youth. I'll get familiar with the next fad that comes along too, whether I enjoy the game or not.

Youth Gambling is a growing problem. See Google at http://news.google.com/news?q=youth%20gambling%20problem for news stories. I've enjoyed playing cards my whole life and its a great way to pass time when a snowstorm shuts everyting down for a couple days. But when scouts start playing cards at our troop events, I have a short discussion about the addiction of gambling ready to go. We've been fortunate that the only card games so far have been the adults playing cribbage.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CubmasterFred and all,

I have seen a waning of interest for yugioh by my fourth grader but it's not completely dead yet. I had such a hard time with him last year--that I hid all his cards for about 6 months. I really have to say that as a former catechist I got a little worried about Egyptian Gods card and he was using other foreign phrases that honestly I couldn't understand him. But he's doing better now and like I said it isn't as popular as it used to be.

Sylvia

Yu-Gi-Oh is dead in my troop and has been dead! we never allowed it in! we let them play poker and blackjack(no money or gambling for anything) and that we can take but i have had to break up fights at camp 2 years ago because scouts were fighting over those cards!

What is next??? I wish they would stop coming out with these things.. Once they die out, parents realize they wasted all that money because they are not cheap at all(i dont think)

Why allow Poker, but not YuGiOh?

YuGiOh requires much more thought and strategy than Poker. It's much more about planning attack and defense, and using the tools you have at hand, than about "reading" your opponent. And it has a smaller "Luck" factor than Poker.

And isn't Poker much more likely to proliferate gambling than a trading card game like YuGiOh?

Sure there are always going to be occasional problems between boys, but cards don't punch people; people do! ;)

If it's interfering with planned activities, that's a separate issue (and isn't that as much about the planned activities as it is about the cards?), but with their own personal "down-time", I'm not sure I see why we'd step in and act.

????

I hope that didn't sound critical of your choices. Just trying to understand, so I can figure out how I'm gonna respond when I have to face the issue.

BTW, don't get me wrong. I LOVE Poker, but that's a big-boy game -- I'm struggling with it being an acceptable Scout activity...

jd

"Some scouts in my troop who are avid members of the OA play poker for OA patches. Because these guys are great friends and of a mature age, they seem to have a lot of fun doing this and there never really are any bitter feelings. "

Muckracker, i am a Life Scout OA member who has played poker for OA patches before. Its a very intersting way to come across rare patches. I was able to get an Alaskan OA patch from it. Back to the main topic though. In my troop, poker is the #1 game. We dont gamble for money but often times we will "gamble" for soda or other drinks. Different yes, enjoyable yes.

It's dead in my house and troop after my son decided a couple of weeks before christmas to lift a couple of packs of those stupid cards from Wallyworld. Because "some of my friends at school said it was easy." Yeah he forgot the Scout law big time. Cost him all but one of his christmas presents. His game cube, game boy advance, tv prevledges (we still choose what he watches and NO Yu-Gi_oh or any other of these types of shows. Educational and news only!),TV/vcr in his room the ability to tolerate sitting for about an hour after he came back from discussing this with the store manager and the police officer posted in the store. $40.00 of his money to pay the store for what he lifted (store got to keep the cards too!). The 250 cards he had collected since third grade made a nice starter for a fire that he had to start himself since we had to clear some brush on our farm (he actually visualized his money spent going up in smoke). In addition, as his Scoutmaster, I could not, knowing what he did, allow him to sit for his BOR for STAR since he had violated the Oath and Law. His mother and I think he's got the idea but it was strange he didn't get it that stealing was wrong because "my friends did it and they didn't get in trouble." Told him that's either because they didn't get caught, their parents don't care, or they are just sorry.

He is now working on his scout spirit and may actually be able to sit at next months BOR's.