From Cub Scout to Den Leader

Hi All,

I found this forum while researching information on how the BSA has changed since I was 18 in 1983. I have just signed up to be my son's Tiger Cub Den Leader along with my wife and am eager to return (or "pay forward") all that was given to me through 9+ years from Cub Scouting through my Eagle and the OA.

Of the many changes I have discovered since 1983 were the Tiger Cub program, Exploring becoming Venturing, the demise of the Leadership Corps, and my old council and OA lodge disappearing in a merger. So you see I have a lot of catching up to do.

I have been lurking here for a few days and already have learned a lot. I am certain I will post questions especially once the fall arrives and my Tiger Cub den moves into high gear.

Thanks.

Welcome!

Feel free to look around and comment as you see fit. Exploring really did not becoming Venturing, they both exist -- Exploring just became career focused, and Venturing took everything else (including Sea Scouting).

But I do understand the "change shock" -- I stepped out in 1995 and came back just recently (albeit for a brief stint as a Chartered Organization Rep in 2003-2005) and have been "adjusting" as well.

I hope you find your experiences in Scouting with your son wonderful -- and don't be afraid to ask a question or two.

Welcome,

You will probably see ALOT different, some of it because of program change, but I'm betting alot more will be because your perspective will have changed. I hope your son has a great time, and you right along with him.

Miquinn1978: Howdy, Pull up some magnetic bubbles and join the virtual campfire.

It's entertaining and thought provoking. Provokes other things too, but you'll see...

Yeah, when I was Scout, working on my Dinosaur Herding Merit Badge, I sure wasn't concerned with the stuff that concerns me here, now. Scout HQ migrated from New Jersey to Texas, instead of selling donuts on Saturday morning (Troop fundraiser,) we have corporate popcorn, Eagles have a project to plan and complete, GPS gets you lost instead of a paper map. It is a brave new world, but very similar to the old one, after all.

Oh my, don't wait for the Fall,

Get your TD off early, summer picnics and hikes are not to be missed.

Your boys are waiting for you....

YiS

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I have already heard of the popcorn from my DL sister. She has 3 cubs and has sold lots of the stuff.

Although the Tiger dens are not yet assigned we have been attending summer activities and completing the training.

I do remember when the HQ moved out of NJ, it was only 30 minutes from home and I visited the museum many times.

I did my Eagle project in 1979. Was that something new back then?

Also these new uniforms. It's interesting as I wore the dark green LC uniform in the day I remember when the ODL uniform came out. I hated it, never got one. Now I read all the comments about how much people dislike the Centennial uniform. Ha, Ha! Still with those silly epaulets.

And I hate GPS. Does anyone do orienteering anymore?

Looking forward to all of it.

• 2 weeks later...