New Scouts - good news and bad news

Our troop just had our first meeting with all the newly crossed over scouts. There are 29 new guys this year.

Holey Moley! :)

I was expecting less than half that number, based on discussions with the Den Leaders, but evidently whole Cub Patrols decided to stay together and join our troop rather than splitting up. So, I need some advice! As my boss says, "These are the problems we like to have!"

They have organized into 3 strong patrols and elected PLs. I would like to hear from all you successful Scoutmasters (and emeriti) on what works with such a huge crop of new scouts. And what doesn't work. Thanks!

29 boys!?!

I would pray...very hard.

Here are some things I would do:

1. Assign two experienced Guides to each Patrol. That would be a 5:1 ratio, which I think would provide the necessary oversight and guidance so the new scouts don't try and hide or get lost in the crowd.

2. Assign one very enthusiastic and experienced ASM to each patrol as a mentor and supporter of the work of the Guides.

3. With 30 boys you have a veritable troop. In addition to your New Scout/Tenderfoot Camp, I would consider having a couple other camps just for the new scouts, their Guides, SPL, ASPL, etc. to help them become more acclimated and involved during their first year. It would be my hope that the additional focus could increase your retention rates, which as you indicated, has been suffering as your troop has grown. This will also help to promote participation when you have to place limits on trip participation due to your size and camp accomodations.

4. This situation could easily turn into a cattle call. Luckily, slavish devotion to the patrol method will save you and the new scouts, ensuring that all participate and are engaged.

Good luck.

We had four years in a row with almost that many new scouts and we learned a lot. We didnt handle it right our first year and lost over 50% of the new scouts in the first six months. A lot of how you deal with this situation has to do with the number of scouts you already have. If your new scouts out number the rest of the troop, consider the troop brand new because the troop dynamics will have to change to keep up.

This is a great time to have an adult leader meeting to review the troop program, the vision, mission, goals and so on. Then have a PLC meeting that includes adults to get everyone on board as a team to the challenges. Be positive because scout sense fear faster than bears in a nudist resort.

Try to have contingency plans for dealing with the large influx like camps required for your troop at month camps, summer camps, and driver for traveling. I remember calling the Summer Camp that we waited for two years to get on and telling them we were twice the size that we expected. Logistics takes a big hit with that many new scouts, so start looking for additional tents, stoves and other patrol gear required. You can barrow equipment from other troops. What about the trailer, will it hold up to this?

I think Semper gives some really good advice. I respectfully have to say that we found that new scouts dont like to separated from the rest of the troop. That is not the program they visited as Webelos and they want to be part of the whole troop, not separated into new scouts and everyone else. You may be forced into it for some activities, but I would keeping it to a minimum. I believe the risk is worse with the larger number of new scouts.

I also suggest getting your parents support and understanding for the coming challenges NOW. Have a parents meeting to explain the good fortune, wonderful opportunities that come with a big troop and the challenges that follow. I would make it positive in that the more scouts, the merrier. Still there are going to be growing pains and you need everyones help and patience to accomplish your vision. I wished we done this the year we lost so many new scouts. It is much better to have parents say, well I guess these are part of the growing pains they talked about, in stead of why in the world is it taking so long for the troop to leave the church. Other troops seem more organized.

On a few things for the scouts, when we had a huge influx of scouts, we attached each NSP to a Big Brother patrol. The idea is set up the NSP near its Big Brother patrol to get the help of the whole patrol if needed. In our case, the Troop Guide was part of the Big Brother patrol, but Im not suggesting you do that. Asking the patrols to help the TGs also suggest that all the scouts are responsible for all the new scouts and their challenges. This is kind of important because you are going to see a BIG difference at the next campout. There are going to be new scouts all over the place and the older scouts dont take well to the disruption of change. So prepare them and ask for their help to make this the best troop in the district. Then reward their efforts. I once stopped and bought all the scouts a coke on the way home from camp just to say thanks.

I look forward to reading your future post. We all can learn from them.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Thanks to both of you guys! I appreciate your words of wisdom. I just spoke to one of my Woodbadge patrol mates who said they also had an incredible recruiting year - 35 new scouts in that troop across town. I plan to stay in close touch with him this year. Wish us both luck!

We took in 28 or so a few times (25-30)for a few years, back then it wasnt a case of should we have a new Scout Patrol, but rather should we have a new scout troop? Actualy between the ASM who headed the new scouts, and the troop guides and the committee member who did advancement just for the new scouts, it was like a troop in a troop, but the kids stayed (mostly) and it worked well. The key is adult support, without it we would have died.

Trevorum,

Congrats (I think?). We, too, just took in 21 new Webelos from 2 Packs. We are dividing them into 2 NSPs, each with 2 troop guides and one ASM. The two troop guides worked well for us. This will ensure that at least one always in attendance with the new patrol ... also for crowd control.

Four years ago, my son and I came into our troop (28 boys) with 24 other scouts of which 14 are currently Life. The two orginal NSPs are still alive and well. The year after that, we took in 12, but only 5 are left. Last year, 24 came in with 2 NSPs. There are 15 of that crop left with the two patrols are very strong.

1Hour

Well GEEZ......I was proud that we picked up 16 new scouts. Then you guys come along and burst my bubble. We did have 5 prospects visit a week or so ago.

We have created tow NSP's out of our 16 boys. We have 2 Troop Guides per patrol and myself and 2 fellow ASM's overseeing the whole thing. Last week was the first troop meeting they attended. I'm working with the other ASM's and the 4 TG's to develop our program. Per our SM's request, we will be pulling the NSP's out for their own specialized skill instruction while the rest of the troop is doing theirs. At this stage, their needs are different. At the outset, we will be teaching them how to set up and break down the troop tents and equipment to get them up to snuff for campouts. We also plan on pulling them out for specialized instruction on campouts for things like their totin and fire chits. They will still be heavily involved in everything else the troop does, just given special attention where needed.

Also, we will be working up a plan of how we will approach all of the rank advancement requirements up to first class over the next year. We want to present this to the boys and their parents to encourage participation. For instance, we don't do a five mile hike on every outing. If little Billy wants to check that item off, he needs to show up when we do it if at all possible. There is no guarantee that we can fit it in in the near future. We do expect the boys to be responsible for their advancement, but we want to show them that it is possible to get to this place in your career if you stay active and participate in the opportunities we plan.

Congrats to everyone on your new members! Trev, hang in there!

Our troop received 16 new scouts from cross-overs in February (2 NSPs of 8 each, plus a troop guide and an adult patrol advisor for each NSP) so right now we have 24 out of our 41 scouts who are either brand new or just finishing up their first year with the troop. Of the remaining 17 scouts, all but 2 are at least 14 years old and all are 1st Class/above so it is a bit of a challenge sometimes. But it brings new opportunities, including lots of new parent involvement, fresh ideas, and enthusiasm.

For us, I think this influx of new scouts is great because it has really convinced some of the more established leaders that we need to pay more attention to how we bring along younger scouts and in my opinion, that's one part of the troop program that has been badly in need of revision anyway. Now that over half the troop is made up of 5th and 6th graders, there's no avoiding the issue.

Lisa'bob

In the 6 years I been with our troop, I have never ceased to marvel at the way the troop constantly reinvents itself. Each year there is a group of new guys, and earlier new guys morph into seasoned vets, but the faces are always different. The old traditions are passed on, the old gear gets replaced, and the old troop rolls along.